Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Over at treonauts.com, they're reporting an April 20 release of the Treo 650.

The race for the Treo 7XX is now on. We all know that once (when) Verizon finally decides to roll out a "new to them" Treo model, the next really new model is just a few months away for those lucky Sprint beta testers (I used to be one of those), and more heartache for us Cingular users as those Sprint users shake down the new model for 3-4 months before us poor GSM users get to drive the Beta2 models.

Amazing how Verizon, always last to the plate, gets the more stable models. Hmm....is there a message in their somewhere....
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    I don't mind being a "beta tester" and getting my technology while it is still new. I got my 650 in November, it is now 6 months later and Verizon still doesn't have it. I wouldn't want to be sold an old model when a new one is about to come out.
    Then again I love to have the newest technology and I'm sure not every one feels the same way I do.
    Quote Originally Posted by albertb
    I don't mind being a "beta tester" and getting my technology while it is still new. I got my 650 in November, it is now 6 months later and Verizon still doesn't have it. I wouldn't want to be sold an old model when a new one is about to come out.
    Then again I love to have the newest technology and I'm sure not every one feels the same way I do.
    I also love to have the latest and greatest. Rumors of a new model must be about to start (probably closer to summer if the past is any indication, where's nrosser when you need him/her? )
    Still, it wouldn't surprise me if the rumors start soon. My marriage is just recovering from the last purchase. However, as much as I have early-adopter-itis, PalmOne would have to do some SERIOUS tinkering to make me dance this dance again. I'm not a "wifi" guy, so that won't do it. The screen is already gorgeous. About the only thing that would convince me is BT functioning EXACTLY as it should, with ZERO STATIC when the phone is on the belt, built in voicedial support, and the ability to use a voice memo program to record conversations (Sanyo's can do this, for the love of Pete!). Oh, Cobalt with some multi-tasking might help. Other than that, what could a new model offer me?
    Bear in mind before you answer that question that a new model is liable to be just as unstable when it comes out as the 650. I haven't had any problems (really) with stablity on mine, but I know many of you have. Expecting a newer model to fix that, while understandable, is probably not realistic.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Excellent response Dr Doom. I am one of the many still waiting on VZW to release the 650, but I am equally curious as to what the 7XX could offer. Time for some major enhancements or I will sit it out... granted VZW won't offer that upgrade for another 12 months plus after release.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff NYC
    Excellent response Dr Doom. I am one of the many still waiting on VZW to release the 650, but I am equally curious as to what the 7XX could offer. Time for some major enhancements or I will sit it out... granted VZW won't offer that upgrade for another 12 months plus after release.
    Working at Radioshack I sell both Sprint and Verizon. The number one wireless associate in the nation works for me, and he says "Sprint and Verizon are like the tortoise and the hare. How do you want to get there?"
    Makes me smile everytime.
    It'll be fun.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    Working at Radioshack I sell both Sprint and Verizon. The number one wireless associate in the nation works for me, and he says "Sprint and Verizon are like the tortoise and the hare. How do you want to get there?"
    Makes me smile everytime.
    So...Verizon is the tortoise and Sprint is the hare?
  7.    #7  
    Well, actually, Verizon is more like a glacier.

Dr. Doom: You may have it nailed this time. I sit here wondering what possible goodies could PalmOne add that would make me jump into the big dollar pool again:

1. More memory (128mb) - Nah - ZLauncher's working good as it is.

2. WiFi - a "possible maybe" but only because I've got it at home, and then they'd have to offer Cobalt with it so it could seamlessly switch between Edge/WiFi when browsing.

3. 320x480 screen - now there's a possibility, but where would they put it and still keep my deal-breaker keyboard, UNLESS

they shrunk the whole thing and only offered a d-pad and four keys (if and only if its 3.5" x 2" x 0.5" with an internal antennae)

4. Cobalt (without #2) - only if they can web browse and talk at same time

5. REAL 3G speed - now that one would be worth a jump (380kb) but I don't think any of the carriers are rolling that out very fast.

6. 1-3 megapixel camera - no way, unless it's got 5x optical zoom and a Carl Zeiss lens system

Refinements and stability improvements alone won't cut it either, because mine's already stable as it is (must be lucky - no random resets). Perhaps Palm is about to hit a wall with the installed base - they'll need to reach down into the lower price crowd with fewer features.

THIS WOULD BE A GUARANTEED UPGRADE

Samsung i-500 form factor flip phone with all the 650 bells and whistles - NOW YOU'RE TALKING. A small flip phone, protecting a 320x320 screen, AND NO BIGGER THAN THE I-500, NOW YOU'RE TALKING!
    Here are my thoughts in no particular order:

• An increase in memory is a given, although possibly not to 128MB;

• BlueTooth 1.2 is probably a given;

• Cobalt is a big ??. If it does run Cobalt, the transition will make the compatibility issues with the Treo 650 seem like nothing;

• I doubt we'll see WiFi since that seems to be a carrier driven decision more than a operational/technical issue. Remember, Palm sells no smartphones without the phone carriers;

• 320x480 screen would be sweet! Incorporating a slider feature would allow for retention of the keyboard and you could do 320x320 or 320x480;

• I'm sure the camera will be improved in some regard;

• Maybe a smaller footprint - thiner?
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss

Amazing how Verizon, always last to the plate, gets the more stable models. Hmm....is there a message in their somewhere....
    Verizon is Sprint's only CDMA competitor. So I would think Sprint having the deal to get Treos first also has the deal angled so that Verizon always gets last pickings.

For me Sprint is OK. My only complaint is with their customer service. And it seems they all fail in that area.
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell
    For me Sprint is OK. My only complaint is with their customer service. And it seems they all fail in that area.
    I am with Sprint and thats my only complaint as well. And everyone I know who has a cell phone has the same complaint with there provider as well. I am a big supporter of CDMA, and Sprint usually has the most advanced network 1st (exception of EVDO).

The next treo really hopefully will support EVDO and will be able to provide a web experience on par with win9x IE. I don't think thats asking too much since my 650 has a faster processor, and more memory then my old win9x box.

Ever since Doucments to go supported native Word documents & spell check and snappermail supported storing e-mails on the card. My mobile office is only missing a decent web browser. I usually find it easier to use moblieTS to log into my main computer and surf the net that way (i swear i think its a little faster that way).
    I know these wireless providers get some of their...lets just say "lesser skilled" workers to do support. But they could AT LEAST get them all to be consistent in their answering of questions.

I mean on top of any other problems I have with them I can't even tell what answer I'm going to get because nobody ever says the same thing !
    I thought I'd jump in on this one with a question and a comment. My Treo 650 is working great and is very stable, but I'm a Palm newbie so have much to learn.

I know about zlauncher, but what does it have to do with resolving issues regarding memory? Any comments on this are appreciated.

As for my comments, I don't think Palm is anywhere near reaching a wall in sales with the Treo 650. This is the first samrtphone to really capture the attention of many non-pda users. I'm one of them. I travel a lot and on every trip anyone seeing me using my phone asks me about it and they are impressed. I was asked questions about it by six people last Monday while traveling, which is amazing. My v3 has never captured that kind of attention. The mp3 feature alone is very interesting to them. Its other attractions are size, weight, and screen with the curious.

When Verizon releases the Treo, it will only add to the interest from non-pda phone owners. If they release it at a lower price that will even be better and I kind of suspect this may happen. Not only will Verizon benefit, but also every other carrier as well as Palm even if they have to lower their sell price.

The 650 is also the only pda phone so far to apparently make any serious dent into people who swear by a Blackberry. People who use a Blackberry like the device, but also hate a lot of its software functions (slow?) and really hate the lack of 3rd party application availability. Many a Blackberry user is seriously looking at the Treo. Some who wish they could switch can't because their company supplies their Blackberry. The new Blackberry 7100 series is a stab at the Palm Treo, but lacks too much, especially with non-pda users.
    The very next new treo model from P1 will not be a Treo 650 replacement, but rather an entry model to appeal to the mass market. Kind like a mini Treo 650....this should help increase Treo's market share.
    Quote Originally Posted by ink883
    I usually find it easier to use moblieTS to log into my main computer and surf the net that way (i swear i think its a little faster that way).
    Now you can't do that with a Blackberry .
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome
    The very next new treo model from P1 will not be a Treo 650 replacement, but rather an entry model to appeal to the mass market. Kind like a mini Treo 650....this should help increase Treo's market share.
    So what would an entry model have, or should I say not have?
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by v3treonut
    ...I know about zlauncher, but what does it have to do with resolving issues regarding memory? Any comments on this are appreciated....
    Sorry, didn't mean to imply the ZLauncher resolves all memory problems, but it goes a long way by letting you move third party applications (those you use less frequently) to the SD card and run them from there. It's similar to the way desktop operating systems move apps from your hard drive to main memory to run. Not as easy or simple as just having tons of memory, but a good working solution nonetheless.
    I am guessing:

- no quad-band on GSM
    - lower res and brightness screen
    - slower processor
    - no DTG software
    - Lower capacity battery
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Sorry, didn't mean to imply the ZLauncher resolves all memory problems, but it goes a long way by letting you move third party applications (those you use less frequently) to the SD card and run them from there. It's similar to the way desktop operating systems move apps from your hard drive to main memory to run. Not as easy or simple as just having tons of memory, but a good working solution nonetheless.
    Thanks a lot. This alone will likely get me to purchase and use zLauncher. I've been very particular regarding apps I load; only one at a time and testing thoroughly before adding another. Are their any compatibility problems with zLauncher especially relative to other 3rd party apps; e.g., PocketTunes, Agendus, DocsToGo, etc. ?
    v3treonut, you don't need zlauncher to move apps to the sd card. I use the built-in copy function and put about 10 apps on the card. I also often install apps directly to the sd card. So far, so good.

Personally I find zlauncher to be an overkill.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY
    Here are my thoughts in no particular order:

• An increase in memory is a given, although possibly not to 128MB;

• BlueTooth 1.2 is probably a given;

• Cobalt is a big ??. If it does run Cobalt, the transition will make the compatibility issues with the Treo 650 seem like nothing;

• Maybe a smaller footprint - thiner?
    ...only one problem with that theory. PalmOne has ONLY liscenced BT1.2 for the Cobalt OS. This means no Cobalt? No BT1.2!
    It'll be fun.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast