Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Someone locally is claiming to sell an AT&T unlocked Treo 650. I know that Cingular ones are sometimes unlocked, but I thought AT&T didn't hand out unlock codes. Is that something that changed recently?
    I was told repeatedly (at least 6 times) that ATT could not unlock the phone. I then told them that I wanted to return it because they would not unlock it (prior to my 30 day trial period) and suddenly they could unlock it.

It can be done if you do it before your 30 days, but I don't think they will do it once you have no option to return it. They were ubelievably, uncooperative.
    I had my Treo 650 from AT&T unlocked by a Cingular rep. I had the details in another thread on this forum, but I don't have a link to it right now. They definitely do it, at least if they're reasonably sure you won't be changing carriers. I tested mine with a T-Mobile card from a friend shortly after I unlocked it and everything worked.
    I got mine on Feb 1st (ATT 650) and they just told me to send it back, which I did on Feb 28th, because they wouldn't unlock it (I wanted to migrate to Cing). They said I'm SOL and Cing said the same thing. Ultimately I got the unlocked model.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheltowee
    I was told repeatedly (at least 6 times) that ATT could not unlock the phone. I then told them that I wanted to return it because they would not unlock it (prior to my 30 day trial period) and suddenly they could unlock it.

It can be done if you do it before your 30 days, but I don't think they will do it once you have no option to return it. They were ubelievably, uncooperative.
    See http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...6&page=6&pp=20

About 2/3rds of the way down is my experience, but many others were also able to get their phone unlocked.

What I did:

On a Friday I wrote to simunlockcode@cingular.com and explained my European travel situation (they could check my records and see how much I am over there) and that I needed the phone unlocked. I also mentioned AT&T customer support said they couldn't unlock the phone but had referred me to Cingular and that I knew several customers that had already had this done.

The information I sent included:

Name:
    Cingular Account Number:
    Phone Number:
    Phone Type: Palm Treo 650
    IMEI:

By Monday morning I had an e-mail stating my IMEI was missing some numbers. I corrected it and had the unlock code back within minutes. I am happy with the service I got and even happier to have an unlocked phone.

I supposed they could have changed their policy since February, but there is a good possibility that there are unlocked AT&T Treo 650's floating around for sale. I got mine in early February and got it unlocked February 21.
    The Treo 650 is a post-merger blue phone, Cingular will unlock it for a Cingular customer that has been with either side of the company for 90 days. You may have to call orange customer service to request the code though, that email was supposed to be used internally only.
    PhoneNews.com - Complete Wireless Industry Coverage
    ChristopherPrice.net
    Quote Originally Posted by hatoncat
    ... , that email was supposed to be used internally only.
    Does not look like it is internal any longer.
    It wasn't confidential or anything like that, Cingular simply was afraid of everyone wanting their unlock code... even when they don't need it.

That happened, so now customer service is a buffer between the two.
    ChristopherPrice.net
    without swapping SIMs, is there a way to tell if a Cingular 650 is unlocked or not? I just got one and was wondering becuase I heard that some were unlocked from the get go.
    Quote Originally Posted by eldiablo
    without swapping SIMs, is there a way to tell if a Cingular 650 is unlocked or not? I just got one and was wondering becuase I heard that some were unlocked from the get go.
    The only sure way is to insert a non-Cingular SIM.
    ChristopherPrice.net
    where can i get one of those?
    The whole blue orange thing is relly annlying. The "blue" customers really get second class treatment.

For example blue Motorola V551's have a firmware bug that Orange ones don't (Blue = former ATT accounts Orange = former cingular). I requsted that they reflash my blue phone orange and unlock it to use my blue sim or exchange it for an unlocked orange phone. I took almost 40 minutes to get to escalation where they could understand the issue. They claimed they didn't know about the problem, I pointed them to some threads on the cingular discussion boards where about 20 people said they called and complained and the company said they were unaware of it. After loosing this excuse they claimed that it was impossible for a blue customer to get an orange phone under any circumstances UNLESS I paid full price at a cingular phone. Ie we will never help you even though we introduced the problem.

I am a "blue" corporate customer and we cannot migrate to an orange account for a number of resons, one of which is that Orange isn't set up to move our billing over to the orange side.
    Quote Originally Posted by eldiablo
    where can i get one of those?
    Find a friend with a non-Cingular GSM phone (i.e. AT&T or T-Mobile), and borrow his SIM for a minute. No friends? Take your phone to a T-Mobile store and tell them you're thinking of switching to T-Mo if your phone will work on their network - they'll be only too happy to let you try one of their SIMs if they think they might sign you up.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    Cingular can unlock an AT&T (now Cingular Blue) Treo 650. This is how I was able to do it after a lot of aggravation in calling AT&T:

Call 1-866-287-6131 from a land based phone. ***Do not call 611 or this toll free number from your wireless phone as they will identify you via ANI and route you to AT&T customer care***

Tell the representative that you will be traveling to an area w/o Cingular coverage and if they would be kind enough to look up your sim unlock code. The representative that answers may ask for your wireless number but will probably not be able to look you up in their system if you are on AT&T. Don't volunteer that you are an old AT&T customer as we are all Cingular now.

The representative will need your phone model and your IMEI number to look up your subsidy code. ***The representative does not need any other account information so don't volunteer it.***

If you are nice you should receive an 8 digit number immediately. Enter it as follows from the phone menu:

*#*#(your code)# then press dial.

Don't waste your money on those eBay hustlers as from the verbage in their auction listing, they have no direct access to the sim unlock code database and all they will be doing for $40 is what I just posted. This is why it takes them several days and they offer no guarantees!

I followed these exact steps, dropped a T-Mobile Sim in for testing and it worked flawlessly. Good luck
    Hey craigg, thanks for the info but unfortunatley, for me, it's not working. I have called 3 times and each time they tell me, sorry, it's an ATT phone and we can't help you.
    Treo 750 / Cingular 3125
    My experience with this and the absurdity of having my old AWS phone abbandoned has given me serious stress. If I knew there was a carrier with better service out there, I would ditch Cingular no matter what the cost to me.
  17.    #17  
    How about Sprint? I've had Sprint for years and thought about switching to Cingular since I seriously want to go GSM since I travel internationally. But Cingular was such a pain to deal with just to set up an account I didn't want to deal with them after. So I'm staying with Sprint. The clencher for me is the $10 unlimited internet vision plan. Can't beat that.

Quote Originally Posted by sinebubble
    My experience with this and the absurdity of having my old AWS phone abbandoned has given me serious stress. If I knew there was a carrier with better service out there, I would ditch Cingular no matter what the cost to me.
    Next time you call try not to mention AT&T at all. Tell them you are a Cingular customer. I would go as far as giving them a Bellsouth or Verizon number which definitely would not show up in their system. I did exactly what I posted in my prior thread and Cingular had no trouble looking up my code. Don't let the reps lie and tell you they can't help you, the truth is that they have been instructed not to help you. I know for a fact when I called from my mobile phone, each time I was told that they can not unlock phones and this was from AT&T business support. The number I posted is for Cingular support and they can help you. Be persistent and I am sure you will get your code.

Quote Originally Posted by spartanrob
    Hey craigg, thanks for the info but unfortunatley, for me, it's not working. I have called 3 times and each time they tell me, sorry, it's an ATT phone and we can't help you.
    I have been following the threads on the treo 650 unlock code....

I too am a business client...and unfortunately migrating from AWS to Cingular is not happening right away....so I would like the unlock code...and so far....NO GO....

Frustrated.... thanks Bill
    i got my t650 bran0ded0 00000with cingular and it took about a week or so on the phone atleast 2 times a day trying to gte this thing ulocked and finally tey did it for me, but 2 days later i broke it, but p1 replaced it with a regular 650.. persistance is the key and i tried the email thing they sent me back a email saying for security reasons i have to go through a cingular rep, also i called in using a dealer code and everything saying it was a customers, (my fience) and she was pissed that she spent this much money on a useless unit that she cant travel with yaddy yaddy yah..but i got done i almost gave up and tried my 50 bucks and faith in ebay..but they came through. just my experience.
    seank
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast