Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    ...recommendation on downloading the beta version? Just curious. I know they're not always stable (hence beta testers) but if it adds a lot I'll be glad to risk it!
    I run the latest 2day betas for everyday use and they are very stable - just occasional fixes as new features are tested and Shimon (aka TAKEphONE here) is remarkably responsive. Handing arbitrary length locations and selecting and dialing from them is what the latest beta does for me (useful if you are a DateBk5 user since it fails this requirement) - see the beta page to see if new features are relevant to you.

If you like 2day, try TAKEphONE too - I use it for all phone calls myself now and never touch the standard Palm phone app.
    :menu:TreoLawrence
    Samsung I300 -> Treo 650 (Cin)
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoLawrence

If you like 2day, try TAKEphONE too - I use it for all phone calls myself now and never touch the standard Palm phone app.
    Well, I've looked over TAKEphONE, but I just don't know. I don't see its attraction. What does it do that the internal app won't, that is reall a lifechanger? Activating SMS from within the contacts? Email? I do a lot of SMS, but this has never really bothered me before. I can look up contacts from the SMS screen. Sell me on this, TreoLawrence, or for that matter, Shimon? If you're reading this, I'm already a BIG fan of 2day. Tell me why I need TAKEphONE?
    Thanks.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    The top benefits for me are:

1. Dial any selected number from any application (tap, select and then hit Phone button)
    2. Dial after selecting a six digit conference bridge number with rest of number automatically added (using calling card feature - see this rant)
    3. Support all "xpt," pause codes in Contact phone numbers (very poorly supported in other apps)
    4. Fast/flexible contact lookup and easy 5-way or thumb "at a glance" dialing of the right contact number
    5. Easy drop through into SMS messaging with a phone number you already have in front of you (no additional lookup)
    6. Calling card dialing for international calls (or when travelling internationally)
    7. Flexible use of phone button to cycle through screens
    8. Broader and easier to use set of call history handling options
    9. Works nicely with 2day dialing (especially those conference bridge codes) !
    10. Well written, well supported, quality software (improves my Treo mood)
  4.    #24  
    Thanks. I will have to look at it. How big is it? Even after the upgrade memory is becoming an issue again.
    It'll be fun.
    How big is it (TAKEphONE)?
    FileZ shows the TAKEphONE progam at 396k, hi-res skins at about 135k each (you only need one), and its DB, select hack and other files adding about 85k. For me the Treo has to primarily be a great phone - so very memory-worthy. Move the other stuff to card .
  6.    #26  
    FileZ shows the TAKEphONE progam at 396k, hi-res skins at about 135k each (you only need one), and its DB, select hack and other files adding about 85k. For me the Treo has to primarily be a great phone - so very memory-worthy. Move the other stuff to card .
    Gonna download tonight. I need to check the prices on TAKEphONE & 2day before I fall in love. They may break the bank!
    It'll be fun.
  7.    #27  
    Gonna download tonight. I need to check the prices on TAKEphONE & 2day before I fall in love. They may break the bank!
    Just checked 'em. WOW! VERY reasonable! Way to go Shimon!!!
    It'll be fun.
    The top benefits for me are:

1. Dial any selected number from any application (tap, select and then hit Phone button)
    2. Dial after selecting a six digit conference bridge number with rest of number automatically added (using calling card feature - see this rant)
    3. Support all "xpt," pause codes in Contact phone numbers (very poorly supported in other apps)
    4. Fast/flexible contact lookup and easy 5-way or thumb "at a glance" dialing of the right contact number
    5. Easy drop through into SMS messaging with a phone number you already have in front of you (no additional lookup)
    6. Calling card dialing for international calls (or when travelling internationally)
    7. Flexible use of phone button to cycle through screens
    8. Broader and easier to use set of call history handling options
    9. Works nicely with 2day dialing (especially those conference bridge codes) !
    10. Well written, well supported, quality software (improves my Treo mood)
    Don't forget about the ability to dial a phone number in the "Custom" fields of the contact db. I have many clients/contacts that have multiple phone numbers (Florida house, secretary, New York office, bla bla bla) and this feature is among the top 3 reasons I got this app. And I'm not sure about the T650 but my T600 won't let me search by Company name unless I'm using TAKEphONE.
  9.    #29  
    Alright. downloaded TAKEphONE. Not too happy so far, but I've only had it ten minutes. How do I "rearrange" the speed dial page? It keeps telling me to use the speed dial function, but how? I just want to change the order they appear in.
    It'll be fun.
    Alright. downloaded TAKEphONE. Not too happy so far, but I've only had it ten minutes. How do I "rearrange" the speed dial page? It keeps telling me to use the speed dial function, but how? I just want to change the order they appear in.
    Doom - Do you mean you want to rearrange the order in which your existing speed-dial enteries appear on the speed-dial screen in TAKEphONE? Or do you want to change the order in which the speed dial page appears among the other TP screens?

Regarding your early commentary: step 1: read the manual. Its short. Step 2: visit TC forums on TAKEphONE regularly (or sign up to receive thread updates). Step 3: determine if the feature-set is a desirable upgrade for your utilization over the existing phone application. There are many people here that would recommend you thoroughly explore this app before you make final judgement. I'm no different. If you're like many of us here, you'll find several features that are must-have and some that are not. I'd recommend first playing with the "Find" preferences to better understand TP's lookup capabilities. Then explore the "Using the Phone button" preference page which may or may not help with your original question. And you should certainly explore the "Applications" preference page to assign applications that will conduct the actions you wish to launch which was one of your original interests in an earlier thread. Just my 2 cents.
  11.    #31  
    Read the manual, that is. In fact, I have now. Maybe I need to read it again. I don't see how you can "click&drag" speed dials like I want to (to change the order in which they appear, sometimes people fall "out of importance" with me). My other issue is, so far, is that I thought someone on these boards mentioned how much easier it was to SMS. How?!?I want to know how to QUICKLY send one from Speed Dials. I'm really not the least bit interested in the "lookup" functions. Maybe I will be once I understand what makes them better than the normal. I mean, you type, it comes up. The "custom fields as phone numbers" and "lookup by company" are intriguing, but since the Treo didn't handle that originally don't you have to spend a lot of time "settings" things back upo again? I'm not bad mouthing the program, I'd just like to hear why those of you that love it so much, do. I'm perfectly willing to admit I'm having trouble figuring it out, let alone figuring out why I'd want it, but 2day is so good, I figured this must be too. I know not all programs are FOR everyone, but indulge me and tell me what I'm missing. Thanks.
    It'll be fun.
    Hi,

I've been hearing a lot of complaints about the favourites view on the Treo 650 -

People dont like the fact that in TAKEphONE it has 5x2 view, while in the built-in app it had 7x2.
    My problems with fixing this:
    - it would mean voiding whatever skins people have already made for TAKEphONE (changing button sizes)
    - in my opinion those buttons will be too small for "finger operation" - I may be getting a Treo 650 tomorrow, so I will see that for real.

Re-arranging the entries (drag & drop) - my initial desicion was not to duplicate this feature, since it seemed like an action seldom taken, so I thought users will not be mad at me for making them do this with the built-in app (after all - you CANT remove it, so it's still there...)
    I thought I could spare the time consuming coding, and do other stuff with it, plus save some program memory...

(BTW - same reasoning led to eliminating mass entries deletion from call-log)

Of course - any remarks are welcome.
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Maker of TAKEphONE, 2day, 4cast, 2dial & CallCards -
    "Take telephony into your Palm"
    Web: http://www.shsh.com/products
    Blog: http://www.shsh.com/wordpress
    eMail: contact@shsh.com
  13.    #33  
    Shimon-
    I like the button size you used. It is "finger sized" which is great! As far as "drop & drag", when I posted I didn't realize TAKEphONE was also changing the "built-in" favorites. In fact, I'd read some posts by other users that me think the exact opposite. Being able to "drop & drag" from the built-in app is fine.
    So really, that leaves one question. If I have a name highlighted in "speed dial" what's the quickest way to SMS that person? I only see pressing and holding that entry, THEN pressing the SMS button that pops up. The menu says press "M" to SMS, but nothing happens when I do that. I assume "" is the blue shift key? If I'm wrong about that I'll feel stupid, but please tell me.
    It'll be fun.
  14.    #34  
    The character I was TRYING to show is the last one that appears if you press "blue key/Q/alt". Its the one down at the bottom. Don't know why it won't let you show that character?
    It'll be fun.
    Hi,

That's Menu-M

You can also press the SPACE key - it will popup a list of all
    phone numbers, and allow you to SMS (that's for the latest version)
    Shimon Shnitzer
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by TAKEphONE
    Hi,

That's Menu-M

You can also press the SPACE key - it will popup a list of all
    phone numbers, and allow you to SMS (that's for the latest version)
    Ahhhh...thanks Shimon.
    It'll be fun.
  17.    #37  
    Today I received a phone call. when I hung up the phone went to the default phone app (not TAKEphONE. Is there a way to set it not to do that after incoming calls?). When I hit the hard "calender" button to launch 2day, it did a soft reset. When it came back ALL appointments in DB5 were GONE!!!! "To do"s are still there, but everything else is gone! Is this common? Did I do something wrong?
    It'll be fun.
    Today I received a phone call. when I hung up the phone went to the default phone app (not TAKEphONE. Is there a way to set it not to do that after incoming calls?). When I hit the hard "calender" button to launch 2day, it did a soft reset. When it came back ALL appointments in DB5 were GONE!!!! "To do"s are still there, but everything else is gone! Is this common? Did I do something wrong?
    Doom - me again. Check out your preferences in TP. Go to preferences>PalmOne Treo and select "Return after ALL calls" to bring you back to your selected main TP screen. The reset thing doesn't sound good. I'm guessing here but what do you have setup for that hardkey in your Treo preferences (go to your launcher and select "Preferences" then select "Buttons"). Do you have 2day selected to launch here? Then under your 2day preferences>Operation, do you have the box for "'Datebook' button runs 2day" checked off?
    WOW - that's tough...
    Hope you have a backup ?
    Never heard of such a thing.
    Did you try dialing the "show reset cause" sequence ?
    Shimon Shnitzer
  20.    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by BeantownTreo600
    Doom - me again. Check out your preferences in TP. Go to preferences>PalmOne Treo and select "Return after ALL calls" to bring you back to your selected main TP screen. The reset thing doesn't sound good. I'm guessing here but what do you have setup for that hardkey in your Treo preferences (go to your launcher and select "Preferences" then select "Buttons"). Do you have 2day selected to launch here? Then under your 2day preferences>Operation, do you have the box for "'Datebook' button runs 2day" checked off?
    Well, I really wanted this to work, but it has turned into a nightmare. I deleted TAKEphONE, it wasn't for me anyway, and 2day. I'd be willing to try again, but let me tell you what has happened since my last post. First, to answer your questions, yes I did have the buttons configured as you descrubed. Second, when I went to put everything back in my Treo that night, hotsyncing deleted it all from Outlook too! (Calender info, that is). So now its gone. I went back and manually put as much as I could from memory into the Treo. I don't like some of the "bugs" with the 650 and Outlook anyway, so I changed my PC setup to ONLY sync to Palm desktop. Then I went and bought BackupbuddyVFS, so I wouldn't have to deal with this again. I then made a backup to that. I deleted 2day and reinstalled it, hoping a better copy would fix things (I originally had some issues getting the file to download to my PC). Put it back on. This morning I had a freeze, so I did a hard reset and reinstalled from Backupbuddy. Now my contacts are GONE!!! .I'm sure this isn't because of 2day, but I've deleted it again until I can sort all this out. I really want this to work, but I can't keep having this happen. Now I've got to go through a business day with no contacts! .Please, this program is exactly what I want, but I can't get past these issues. I searched TC for the error code to see what the problem is, but I must be putting something wrong in the search, because its not coming up. I cannot live without DB5, so 2day has to work with that! Any help anyone can give me would be much appreciated. Lastly, I would like to reinstall everything. How do I delete these files (DB5 and 2day) from my PC so they won't be reinstalled on my next hotsync? I know I must sound stupid, but I don't remember how to do that. If I can accomplish that, I'll then download newer copies of each and put them back for a few days to see what happens. Somebody please help.
    It'll be fun.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast