View Poll Results: What's the maximum price you'll put for good IM?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • a MSN only messenger for $10 one time fee

1 5.56%
  • a MSN only messenger for $15 one time fee

1 5.56%
  • a MSN only messenger for $20 one time fee

2 11.11%
  • a MSN only messenger for $25 one time fee

0 0%
  • a AOL only messenger for $20 one time fee

3 16.67%
  • a MSN/AOL/YAHOO messenger for $20 one time fee

8 44.44%
  • a MSN/AOL/YAHOO messenger for $25 one time fee

1 5.56%
  • a MSN/AOL/YAHOO messenger for $30 one time fee

3 16.67%
  • a MSN/AOL/YAHOO messenger for $20 annual fee

0 0%
  • I don't want to pay

6 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    I'm working on a new MSN compatible messenger for Treo 600 / 650. As opposed to Verichat and some others, the program will be one time fee only.

So a little poll here to see if there is an interest for such a program (it's a lot of work!). Thanks.
    What functionality does a "good" IM client have?

Marc
    To give you a data point, I paid $50 for a lifetime verichat license back when they sold them, and it's been worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    To give you a data point, I paid $50 for a lifetime verichat license back when they sold them, and it's been worth it.
    And in all fairness to Verichat and other server based IM services, they keep this running smoothly, and offer free software updates, and things have changed quite a bit in device-land and IM land.

I've been using Verichat since Dec 02, gone from 0.97 to 2.82 and from a Treo 270 thru a Treo 600 and now a 650, and the software has continuously been updated to work perfectly on the latest and greatest. We have had several protocol changes in IM, (just search on these forums), and the PDA Apps folks have continued to keep things working.

In contrast, I've already paid twice for upgrades to Agendus in addition to my "one time purchase fee" and now don't even use it-- I use GoodLink instead, and once had to wait nearly 4 months for a Treo 600 compatible version of Agendus that did the 5 way. In contrast, Verichat always appears to be updated for all the latest devices before the device itself becomes available.
    Honestly, I wouldn't sign up for a one-time fee service. Continual service is too valuable to me, and given the updates to the different IM servers, I've had too many "one-time fee" softwares crap out on me. They're great if the software doesn't have to be updated constantly, but I prefer paying for this as a service.

I'd just release your app free like the free AIM and Yahoo ones; if you're going to promise to maintain it forever, you'll have to signal that by charging a subscription fee like Verichat.
    I also wouldn't pay a flat fee for an app like this -- it would be a waste of money, since it would stop working as soon as it stopped being supported, and I'd have to buy a new one from whoever replaced it. I'll keep paying the annual fee since that's basically what I'd have to do anyway, and I think this provides a good inentive to keep it working (Verichat's always been back up within a few hours of whenever a provider changes their server).
    Ok, you seem to think that software developers who don't charge annual fees don't want to maintain the software so it works continuously? I'm not sure that all developers are like this.
    However, it seems marketing is something important. What about 20$ one time fee, and an optional $10 annual fee for guaranteed support of future server protocol changes?
    I guess it should be noted the Verichat I bought wasn't a one-time fee in that it gave me a single product. It was a lifetime license, entitling me to a lifetime of service and upgrades. Pretty cool. I wish they still offered it. The folks at PDAApps are fantastic in their support and continual improvements.
    GTXP, any reports on bug fixes?
    Quote Originally Posted by GTXP
    Ok, you seem to think that software developers who don't charge annual fees don't want to maintain the software so it works continuously? I'm not sure that all developers are like this.
    However, it seems marketing is something important. What about 20$ one time fee, and an optional $10 annual fee for guaranteed support of future server protocol changes?
    That might be a better approach. It isn't that I think developers don't maintain their software; it's that this particular product is as much service (maintaining servers that can maintain constant connection) as it is software (the actual client I run). I want to pay one-time fee for software, but one-time fees have not been so great for services except early on as a promo (Tivo did this for awhile and discontinued it eventually, same with Verichat).

One-time fees for services often end in the service not being continued but no refund...
    Quote Originally Posted by DougKoz

One-time fees for services often end in the service not being continued but no refund...
    That happened with me and Mail.com. Back in 1998 I paid $50 for an @mail.com address for life. Then about two years ago they said they were suspending POP service for lifetime subscribers, but I was welcome to spend $20 a year for the service. I was extremely angry. They justified it by saying since I still had my e-mail address, they were living up to their end of the bargain. Of course, they offer e-mail addresses to everyone, for free. So I was getting nothing. Needless to say I was really ticked off.