1.    #1  
    Does anyone have any experience with compatability of the t650 and bluetooth enabled BMW assist? The t650 does not appear on BMW's current recommended Bluetooth Handsets for the MY2005 BMW Assist System.
  2. ceb
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    Probably won't work.....
    Cheers

Charles
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    You are confusing two separate things. BMW Assist is their OnStar equivalent, which comes with an internal cel phone on a Verizon-supplied network to get to roadside service, etc. The Bluetooth capability for MY2005 (from production date 9/04 that include Assist) vehicles, does indeed work with the T650, though it initially required a patch to work. You can send/receive calls and get the favorites imported into the onboard phone directory.
    Quote Originally Posted by rfg17
    You are confusing two separate things. BMW Assist is their OnStar equivalent, which comes with an internal cel phone on a Verizon-supplied network to get to roadside service, etc. The Bluetooth capability for MY2005 (from production date 9/04 that include Assist) vehicles, does indeed work with the T650, though it initially required a patch to work. You can send/receive calls and get the favorites imported into the onboard phone directory.

This may be true, but on my 2005 X5 (Prod Date 11/04) neither an unlocked 650, or a Cingular patched 650 work at all...My X5 has Assist & Bluetooth, and my Moto V551 works flawlessly. Here is a response I got from BMWNA yesterday:

"Thank you for contacting BMW of North America, LLC regarding your 2005 BMW X5. That is a great model vehicle and we hope it is serving you well so far.

Your Palm Treo 650 will probably not ever be able to pair with the Bluetooth system in your BMW. There are several BT “flavors” or so-called BT profiles. The BMW system uses the standard BT Hands-free Profile (HFP 1.0) with additional commands implemented on top of the BT standard to transfer phonebook data from the phone to the car.

BMW is working with phone suppliers and carriers to implement the additional commands, however this support is not based on business agreements and therefore BMW has little leverage to influence phone suppliers to include this. Phones that do not support the additional commands may or may not pair or connect to the vehicle and will only have partial functionality at best. Because of this, phones that do not support the additional phonebook commands will not work as intended, may present significant issues and are therefore listed as non-compatible phones.

All Windows CE based devices are non-compatible at this time, and we do not expect that to change unless the device manufacturers change their Bluetooth profile and transfer protocols on the telephone. I apologize if this is a disappointing answer to you, we understand how convenient PDA devices are for our busy customers.

A list of the current approved handsets is available on our website, http://www.bmwtransact.com/bluetooth. We update this list as soon as new phones are found to be fully compatible.

We hope this information is helpful to you, and we value your loyal business. If you have any further questions, please respond to this e-mail or contact the Customer Relations and Services Department at 1-800-831-1117, Monday through Friday from 9:00 A.M. to 9:00 P.M., Eastern Standard Time.

Sincerely,"
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    This works on my MY2005 525i w/Assist (build date 9/04).

As for the x5, check out this link:

http://www.x5world.com/html.php?file=bmw_bt_phones.htm
    From STOP's post: "I FINALLY GOT IT.

I managed to make the 650 with the Spring patch 1.08 work. As it turns out, the patch really doesn't change anything in the bluetooth files - I was just missing one critical step when pairing the phone (probably the first time when I paired it, I lucked out). Here is what I did:

1. Initiate the pairing process from the car.
    2. Do "Setup new device" from the Treo, follow the steps.
    3. Enter passkey. The Treo reports "pairing successfull".
    4. HOWEVER, the pairing is not complete at this point and here is the trick. While the Treo is still connected to the car and the car is in pairing mode, I placed a call from the Treo. At this point I was prompted for the passkey again, this time the dialog also had a checkbox "Add to trusted devices". After entering the passkey this 2nd time, I got a message on the car nav screen "Pairing successfull" - which I didn't get before.

Now everything's working fine, and the car is able to find the phone."

Did the same thing with the X5, and the Treo is indeed in the "trusted devices" now...The only problem is that every time the X5 pairs with the Treo, as soon as the X5 displays "loading phonebook" the treo does a soft boot. Endless. Another post mentioned this might be due to an odd entry in the "favorites" on the phone book. I suspect that this might be the voicemail entry, which starts with a "+", but for the life of me, I can't figure out how to delete the voicemail entry from the favorites. My Treo is an unlocked GSM version. Can anyone help? TIA