1.    #1  
    Here's the deal. I live on base and I'm tired of "ducking" the MPs. Yes, I know the phone is a speakerphone, but lets face it... It's just not that loud.

I was looking at this Parrot DriveBlue as a partable easily installed hands free option. I don't want a headset. Not yet anyway. So, has anyone seen this thing in action or know of a better product?
  2. ceb
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    If you are planning on keeping your car, then I'd suggest a hardwired BT install. I just installed a MOTO HCB-30 BT that I got on the net (I can give you a source) for about $140 and had my local car audio shop install it, and a (hidden) car charger for $100 ($80 for the install and another $20 for the installer - he did a great job - everything looks factory installed). I'm using a ProFit Ultimount combined with a ProClip cradle to hold the 650 to the side of my center console. He ran the car charger wire up the ultimount so I just plug in the one wire if I want to charge the phone.

The only downside is that I have to dial using my phone - but that's probably what I would do anyway....

If you want to be able to call while leaving the phone in your pocket, then you'll want something like the Parrot 3100 - but doing a factory install is harder because of the big display.......
    Cheers

Charles
  3.    #3  
    thanks for the advice. do you have any pictures of your setup?
    We ordered two Drive Blues and found they were horrid. Extreme clipping and choppiness. Treo to Treo (or mobile to mobile) calls were horrid and almost impossible. I'd stay far away from them.

Plus, they are French made/owned.
    hey guys,

what are you talking about ?
    can you give links to those products ? so that we can see
    Quote Originally Posted by ilkeraktuna
    hey guys,

what are you talking about ?
    can you give links to those products ? so that we can see
    The only link you need:
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search
  7.    #7  
    See now that's what I'm talking about. if you ask, someone has tried it. Thanks evilghost. I won't waste my time or money then. Guess I'll wait till I can afford an installed unit instead... and you're right... didn't even catch the french angle. Careful. Don't want to offend any french users that may be on this site.
    I have had a better experience with the Driveblue than evilghost. However, I have always used external mics with the two units we have (the Driveblue has an internal mic, but includes a port for connecting a remote mic as well). Both units have worked acceptably, although the T650 had terrible volume control until the v1.08 ROM upgrade.

You may also want to look at other "easy install" bluetooth options discussed here at TC. Nokia is also introducing a new unit (HF-6W) that utilizes an interesting multiple-mic configuration (see, e.g., http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,,69994,00.html).
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    I tired several of Parrot's bluetooth devices at CES. They all paired and worked fine with the 650. Hardwired car kits will always outperform temporary solutions, but I thought the DriveBlue worked fine given the situation.
  10. ceb
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GMSchiller
    thanks for the advice. do you have any pictures of your setup?
    Not yet, but what kind of car are you installing in?

My experience with all of the portable solutions is that they don't really work right and look horrible - do you really want that huge thing hanging out of you lighter socket?
    Cheers

Charles
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by ceb
    Not yet, but what kind of car are you installing in?

My experience with all of the portable solutions is that they don't really work right and look horrible - do you really want that huge thing hanging out of you lighter socket?
    I'm in a 03 toyota tundra T3 limited edition so yes that is a concern of mine. The viser clipped ones don't look so bad. I could work with it. I'm just concerned with how well they work at this point. the installed ones are just so pricy and then there is the install price (I wouldn't want to damage my baby with inexperience)
    Another option you might consider is the SuperTalk / SuperTooth stuff. Lots of satisfied users her eon the forum.
  13.    #13  
    I read a review (austrailian I think) that raved about that very one JackNaylorPE. I'm not ruling it out. thanks.
    Parrot CK3100 has been great for me. Few glitches in the begginning, but has been working great now for a few weeks. Voice dialing etc. Good product.
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    I bought a Parrot DriveBlue for my wife as she uses the phone in the car a lot. Without the external mic, it is horrid. Internal mic operation is not full-duplex (one can't listen while talking) and that is probably why it seems choppy to many.

With the external mic it is quite good. After the recent Sprint Treo patch, I think it is very good.

It is sold as a portable device but, as it is not really usable with the built-in mic and removing and reinstalling the external mic is a hassle, I would consider it a non-permanent, hands-free bluetooth solution. I would think it would be great for leased cars as you don't void your contract and can move it to your next car.

I paid ~$60 on Ebay, but it came without an external mic and manual. I came very close to smashing the unit out of frustration as I thought it was terrilble. Instead, I emailed Parrot and they sent me an external mic right away. I was able to download the manual from the parrot website. After setting it up (using a thread on this website) I feel I can endorse the product.

My wife gets a kick out of answering the phone with it still in her purse. She also enjoys the voicetag dialing feature.
  16. ceb
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GMSchiller
    I'm in a 03 toyota tundra T3 limited edition so yes that is a concern of mine. The viser clipped ones don't look so bad. I could work with it. I'm just concerned with how well they work at this point. the installed ones are just so pricy and then there is the install price (I wouldn't want to damage my baby with inexperience)
    You need the ProFit bracket http://www.pro-fit-intl.com/Adobe/TY-71-00-L.pdf and the Pro Clip treo 650 standard clip http://www.proclipusa.com/?sectionpa...oryid=&p_year=

The Proclip attaches to your ProFit using double sided tape.

I'm not sure if your radio has a phone mute, but if it does, then the MOTO BT unit will mute the radio as a call is made or comes in. The mic is a flat black which should match your interior nicely and look like a factory install. Any decent installer should be able to install everything in about 45 minutes. You can use a small cable clip (from CompUSA made to hold cables together) to hold the charging cable (connected behind dash) to your dash within easy reach. http://www.3m.com/US/home_leisure/co...cordmgmt.jhtml

On a tundra with lots of space, I'd suspect that the entire install will cost about $200 for parts and another $50 for labor.

My install was in a Audi S6, so space behind the dash was tight.

I'll take some pictures this weekend and post them next week.
    Cheers

Charles
  17. ceb
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    OK - so here are the pictures of the result of the install.....

http://account.audiworld.com/users/35632.phtml

Click on pics and the picture will enlarge.....
    Last edited by ceb; 04/18/2005 at 11:43 AM.
    Cheers

Charles
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    Interesting. Thanks for the pics.
    HS visor Deluxe (Blue) & Palm IIIx ► HS visor Prism & visorPhone ►P1 T|T & SE T68i ► Tapwave Zodiac2 & P1 Treo 650 GSM ►Treo 680 unlocked ► Sprint Pre(-)►TouchPad & Sprint FrankenPre2 VZW

I will leave Palm/webOS only after kicking, screaming and wrecking anything on my way out.

- (Sigh)... It died.
  19.    #19  
    Very nice. how did that whole set up set you back? (if you don't mind me asking) Something like that would be nice for the truch. Tell me, are there holes in your console now? That's one thing I wouldn't want to do. no holes.
  20. ceb
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    No holes in the console, the mic and control are on with doublesided tape, the wires run in existing panel gaps. I used an IGo car power cord so that I could swap out phones without pulling the console apart.

The install was reasonable $140 for the Sony HCB-30, $30 for the mount and another $30 for the cradle. Add another $30 for the IGo (RadioShack) and the parts cost the same as the Parrot 3100 without the extra bits.

The install (for somebody who knows how to pull consoles and dashboards apart) was about 45 minutes - I paid $80 (DC prices) for the install.

In SC, I'd expect parts and labor to run $300.

A pretty fair price for a factory looking install. I could have spent another $40 or so and hidden the mic entirely, but it really looks factory as is. My only "gripe" is that the control is a shiny black, which sticks out a bit on the interior and the blue lights (that clash with my red Audi lights). I might one day pull a control box apart to see if it can be modified to use some of the blank switches on the dashboard, but I figure that'll be a long project......
    Cheers

Charles