Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm moving back to my T600 and getting rid of my T650, was curious if anyone knows the best way to do that migration data wise?

Export the data, uninstall the software and then install the t600 software, then import the data?

Or will the t600 sync with the 650 software properly?

Thanks,

kevin
    You can try it either way - export the data just in case, try syncing, if it works, great, if not, then you can reinstall and still have your data.

Sorry to see you get rid of your 650. Good luck!
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by ZBoater
    You can try it either way - export the data just in case, try syncing, if it works, great, if not, then you can reinstall and still have your data.

Sorry to see you get rid of your 650. Good luck!

Yeah I am to.. it's a sprint to verizon conversion that I figured I'd get rid of now while I could, and then pick up the verizon branded 650. I hope the rumors are true about this month with verizon.

I was risking too much warranty wise if I had a hardware issue... i've been through about 5 600's with hardware issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin922
    i've been through about 5 600's with hardware issues.
    I always chuckle to myself when folks praise the T600 as some gold standard for Treos. As if it was so defect free .

Anyway you have my best wishes.
    Not defect free, but it was a first generation of that specific form factor, and generally, a trailblazing smartphone, so a lot of shortcomings were definitely forgivable. It was snappy as hell, had a great keyboard, a great 5-way pad, no reset issues, no memory issues, and was completely reliable. Main problems were crappy screen and lack of BT and WiFi, but those were definitely forgivable as well given the timeframe at which it was released and again the fact that it was first generation in a sense.
    My wife now uses my old T600 and even though I have had my 650 since they started shipping, I am still shocked by how good the T600 feels in comparison.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by NSiNSiNSi
    Not defect free, but it was a first generation of that specific form factor, and generally, a trailblazing smartphone, so a lot of shortcomings were definitely forgivable. It was snappy as hell, had a great keyboard, a great 5-way pad, no reset issues, no memory issues, and was completely reliable. Main problems were crappy screen and lack of BT and WiFi, but those were definitely forgivable as well given the timeframe at which it was released and again the fact that it was first generation in a sense.
    My wife now uses my old T600 and even though I have had my 650 since they started shipping, I am still shocked by how good the T600 feels in comparison.
    I went through 2 of them for reset issues directly related to the short SMS issue that was later fixed (it took them forever to come out with a patch for this, until the patch came out it was "we'll send you a new phone")
    Oh well me and plenty of others are not looking back.

I don't have the reset issues and most people do not. The keyboard is good for me and the memory issues have been addressed. NVFS is what is is. The 5-way pad is good too. I find my T650 to be reliable.

There have been complaints about both. Just the same the T650 is better and most agree.

Hey most people are not having all those issues.
    Last edited by darnell; 04/14/2005 at 10:35 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell
    Just the same the T650 is better and most agree.
    There are pros and cons to both. I went back because there are a number of things I preferred on the 600:

1) The phone/calendar/messaging buttons - those on the 650 I had were cheap and clunky feeling in comparison to the high quality buttons on the 600;

2) The five-way navigator - I found the one on the 650 much less pleasant to use, especially for scrolling/navigating downwards;

3) Looks. The more prominent speaker and backward sloping antenna are pretty ugly IMHO. (Of course what I really think is that no phone should have an external antenna; it is 2005 after all!).

..but mostly I went back because I realised that the 650 didn't actually do a lot more than the 600. If palmOne want my money they'll have to give me something more, Wifi and UMTS being top of the list.
    I guess for me I feel the opposite about all of that.

No external antenna would be nice but so would a projector.
    Yeah, clearly, expecting a phone to not have an external antenna is as crazy as expecting a phone to have a projector.

Sigh.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin922
    I went through 2 of them for reset issues directly related to the short SMS issue that was later fixed (it took them forever to come out with a patch for this, until the patch came out it was "we'll send you a new phone")
    Yeah, honestly I had forgotten all about the SMS stuff, thing is I didn't use SMS that much so I guess that's why it didn't really bother me at the time... they really fixed it after the patch though.
    I guess for me I feel the opposite about all of that.
    Really? I guess there must be two types of buttons on either the 600 and/or the 650 because I don't see how anyone could prefer those on the 650 I had to those on my 600.

Looks of course are a personal thing and I guess may be the navigator thing is too, but doesn't the one on the 650 feel rather cramped, aren't the T and Y keys more intrusive? (Could be my thumb I suppose! )

The difference being that putting a projector in a phone would be a major feat of engineering but putting the antennae inside is a problem that was solved years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by NSiNSiNSi
    Yeah, clearly, expecting a phone to not have an external antenna is as crazy as expecting a phone to have a projector.

Sigh.
    Saw this after my reply to the same post. You said it much better than me!
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Unfortunately the Treo 650 having 32 MB of RAM is a horrible joke on and insult to every consumer. I don't believe a word coming out of Palm's mouth about marketing surveys being responsible for the lack of the upgrade to 64MB of RAM. It's simply not credible.

It does have a horrific marketing stink though. I'm guessing that they deliberately left something crucial out of the phone so that current Treo 650 users will have serious envy to purchase the next model when it comes out, especially if the promise of a 1 MB camera wouldn't be enough to stimulate an upgrade. In addition, saving the small amount on the RAM and packaging it for the same customary $599 is a way of padding the bottom line too since while it wouldn't cost much per phone, if you add up the amount they "saved" by putting in only 32MB they simply added that to their profit margin.

I hope someone else comes out with a better phone. For the first time I hope that Microsoft or someone else cleans their clock. It seems like that time is drawing near as Palm gets greedy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkC
    Really? I guess there must be two types of buttons on either the 600 and/or the 650 because I don't see how anyone could prefer those on the 650 I had to those on my 600.
    When the buttons were changed some liked the new buttons and navigation better, others did not. For me its all good.

P1's testing caused them to say it was an "improvement". I guess I'm in the "improved" category.

If we all like the same things I guess we would all drive the same car.

You want an internal antenna, I want a projector. I don't think I'm asking for much .
    [QUOTE=darnellYou want an internal antenna, I want a projector. I don't think I'm asking for much .[/QUOTE]

I hope you get your wish (but not before I get mine )
    Well if they lower the antenna then where will they put the projector ?
    So you want an antenna with a projector in it! I don't think we're ever going to agree on this (unless palmOne make the whole antenna-projector combo detachable!)
    I, by a wide margin, prefer my sometimes resetting Treo 650 to my Treo 600.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkC
    So you want an antenna with a projector in it! I don't think we're ever going to agree on this (unless palmOne make the whole antenna-projector combo detachable!)
    Maybe the external antenna could be a sort of projector lens cap .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast