1.    #1  
    I know this seems off topic for the Treo 650 section...but my point is, if the P1 card works with the new Tungsten E2 (just released today), shouldn't it also work with the Treo 650...they share the same OS (Garnet 5.4).

Where's Shadowmite when you need him!!! Someone needs to look at the ROM of the E2 and make WiFi work reliably on the 650...please.
    Treo 650 GSM Unlocked-TMobile
    I think the issues lie in making it work w/o interfering w/ the phone radio. The E2 has no phone.
    Palm III -> Palm Vx -> Clie T615c -> Clie T665c -> Tungsten T|3 -> Treo 650 -> Trew 700W (for a few days) -> XV6700 -> Moto Q
    http://geckotek.blogspot.com
    Well, we could always turn off the radio when we are close to a wifi hotspot, and maybe even use Voice over IP to make our calls bypassing the carriers completely and ... hey, wait a minute!!!!!
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by ZBoater
    Well, we could always turn off the radio when we are close to a wifi hotspot, and maybe even use Voice over IP to make our calls bypassing the carriers completely and ... hey, wait a minute!!!!!
    Exactly my point...I don't care if it works with the radio on...just as long as I can use WiFi!
    Architecturally, the Treo and T5 are very similar (except for the phone), if it couldn't work properly with the T5 drivers why does anyone think it will work with the E2 drivers?
    Quote Originally Posted by paris
    Exactly my point...I don't care if it works with the radio on...just as long as I can use WiFi!
    I don't care either, but Sprint and Cingular care a lot. If you use VoIP while in the office or at home, you can significantly cut into their profits as people use their cellphone minutes less. I dont know this to be a fact, but I am willing to bet at least 25 cents that wifi drivers for the Treo650 are being stifled more for political reasons rather than technical reasons.
    Cingular Treo 650
    I dont know this to be a fact, but I am willing to bet at least 25 cents that wifi drivers for the Treo650 are being stifled more for political reasons rather than technical reasons.
    This seems like the obvious conclusion to me as well.

On the other hand, we don't yet have Skype on Palm anyways.
    I dont know this to be a fact, but I am willing to bet at least 25 cents that wifi drivers for the Treo650 are being stifled more for political reasons rather than technical reasons.
    I'll take that bet. It doesn't make sense. There are OTHER smartphones that do support WiFi that have been qualified. Why single out the poor Treo and pick on it?

This is especially true because any marketing guy worth his salt knows that only a small fraction of users of a product buy accessories. Why stifle an accessory that only a few power users will buy, when other smartphones have it BUILT-IN.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWowe
    I'll take that bet. It doesn't make sense. There are OTHER smartphones that do support WiFi that have been qualified. Why single out the poor Treo and pick on it?

This is especially true because any marketing guy worth his salt knows that only a small fraction of users of a product buy accessories. Why stifle an accessory that only a few power users will buy, when other smartphones have it BUILT-IN.
    Hey, I agree with you. That's why I only bet 25 cents. If PalmOne did everything that made sense, we'd have micro-implants behind our ears with VR glasses instead of messing with PDAs....
    Cingular Treo 650
    Here's why: Microsoft.

PalmOne is a weak, ineffective company that Sprint could bully into pretty much anything, like, oh I don't know, borking BT DUN (Sprint is a company that still refuses to openly support a significant range of BT-enabled phones for fear of users using BT DUN, for example...) So, no Palm WiFi/Cellular hybrids exist (AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK).

Now, on the PPC side, where plenty of WiFi/Cellular phones exist... Legions of giant, hyper-effective and aggressive Asian electronics companies all rallying behind juggernaut Microsoft who happens to provide a full set of specs and APIs to make it possible for PDAs running on their platform to do *anything* (stability and code quality allowing)... how could anyone possibly stop that? Sprint sure can't, neither can Verizon or Cingular or anybody else. And MS (and the general computer industry at large) would just love to see VoIP swipe the rug from under the cellular/telco industries' feet, wouldn't you agree?

So, the answer, in my opinion, is that there's no stopping things like these from happening on the PPC camp, while PalmOne doesn't have the will, audiacity and general testicular fortitude to make it happen on theirs, especially with Sprint being one of their important customers...

Makes sense to me.
  11.    #12  
    I don't care what Sprint wants...they are NOT my carrier! Just make this work on the unlocked GSM 650's and I'll be happy...TMo is my carrier and they are all in favor of WiFi!
    Quote Originally Posted by paris
    I don't care what Sprint wants...they are NOT my carrier! Just make this work on the unlocked GSM 650's and I'll be happy...TMo is my carrier and they are all in favor of WiFi!
    Heh, I agree...?

It makes absolutely no sense for Sprint or any other telco to act this way, except when using corporate logic.

I have a pretty good hunch the next Treo will have built in WiFi, looks like we'll have to wait till 2006.