Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    A neat trick (which I discovered) to increase the volume of the actual speaker output. Any sound which plays through the speaker will sound louder by around 75%.

1. Make an outgoing call.
    2. When you hear the connecting tone ("ring-ring"), switch to speakerphone.
    3. Increase the volume via the side volume buttons. Hang up.
    4. Play an MP3 file or a ringtone. You will immediately notice the difference.

Somehow increasing the speakerphone dialling volume while a call is connecting affects the overall volume of the speaker.

This neat trick makes MP3 ringtones actually usable on the Treo 650. Be careful though, there is every possibility that the speakerphone might get busted if the sound you are playing is really loud!! (Be sensible.)

UPDATE: Since the default level is 5, the increase of 2 bars actually represents a 40% increase, not 70%.
    Last edited by rudychow; 04/29/2005 at 12:23 AM.
    Treo 680 Graphite, Unlocked GSM (FW: MW01.50 | SW: TREO680-1.04-ROW | HW: A)
    didnt do anything for me.
  3.    #3  
    Go through the instructions carefully. Remember that you need to be on speakerphone and the call must still be ringing when you press the volume up side button.
    Does this sequence increase it permanently or do you have to do it every time you want to listen to something?
    No change for me at all. Followed sequence exactly. However, I am SprintPCS 1.08
    want a louder speaker phone...get a nextel
    Ive got more Guns than you.
    Quote Originally Posted by rudychow
    A neat trick (which I discovered) to increase the volume of the actual speaker output. Any sound which plays through the speaker will sound louder by around 75%.

Somehow increasing the speakerphone dialling volume while a call is connecting affects the overall volume of the speaker.

This neat trick makes MP3 ringtones actually usable on the Treo 650. Be careful though, there is every possibility that the speakerphone might get busted if the sound you are playing is really loud!! (Be sensible.)

I have this happen to me when using speaker phone, and sometimes Bluetooth. I think it qualifies as a bug. I personally find it very annoying!
    Siemens S46 -> Siemens S56 -> Motorola MPx200 -> Moto v600 -> Audiovox SMT5600 -> Treo 650 -> Motorola Q (14 days) -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700w -> Treo 750
    Quote Originally Posted by zaakir
    want a louder speaker phone...get a nextel
    Nice Avatar/Sig, if you're CCW you better be a fellow NRA Member Completely OT, http://torrent.stickit.nu/mypistols.jpg

That 500 S&W is a joy to shoot, the 340PD is like slapping your hand in a car door.

Now back on topic, I had a Nextel and dumped it. Coverage is garbage, the DC feature is about as useful as two cans strung together with wire. We even coined the word "Nexteled" to describe the poor DC service when it would cut out or go "alien" on you. "Can you repeat that, I just got Nexteled."
    Ill, be damned. It worked. I dont know if I would say 75% but at least 40-50%. GOOD FIND!!!

Have you noticed anything that caused it to revert back to low volume?

E44

***EDIT***

I just tried the same thing but with bluetooth headset rather than speakerphone. It appears to have raised the volume of the BT by about 20-30% and another 10-20% in the speaker volume.

I cant front, sounds hard to believe..

I tried it and it really helped out. not 75% helped but it did help. maybe 30%.

Thanks.
    I tried it on my unlocked GSM 650 and it worked.
    Thanks.
    Thank you so much!! I just signed on and thought I'd take a stab at finding out why all of the sudden today my ringer was extremely soft no matter how high I turned up the volume.

I tried your suggestion and it worked great.

Thanks again!!!
    Cingular GSM Treo 650, Apple PowerBook G4, iQue 3600, iPod Photo 60GB
    PalmPilot > Palm Vx > Palm M505 > Garmin iQue 3600 > Treo 650

Seek first to understand, then to be Understood
    ahh i remember doing this by accident once....and i remember the speaker was louder but then i thought i was dreaming it...but now its back...yay...thanks
    For those that this hasn't worked for....

remember, you have to press the side button after changing the volume for it the setting to stick.
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    How do you get it back to "normal"?
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by dpuza
    How do you get it back to "normal"?
    A soft reset will always get the values back to default (annoyingly for some).

Or you can always follow the procedure and set the volume to 4 bars; as that's the default value.

So we can concur that this works for Unlocked GSMs. What about Sprint or any of the other US carriers?
    It works on my Cingular 650
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    Does not work on my Sprint 1.08 phone, but the 1.08 patch did significantly increase both BT Headset and speaker volume.
    I have sprint, treo 650, havent had the courage to upgrade the firmware to 1.08 yet, after all the problems I had when i upgraded my treo 600 to the new firmware, but the good news is, it worked - I can actually hear mp3s now...the only bad news is its so loud that the volume is crackling at higher volumes...i guess we cant get it all...
    Quote Originally Posted by rudychow

This was a known work around on the speakerphone issue on the T600, hardly a new discovery, sorry.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast