1.    #1  
    Have had a 600 on Sprint ... dropped Sprint, have Cingular now.

Need to get a 600 or 650 for Cingular (or an unlocked GSM phone -- preferrably unlocked b/c of DUN issues it seems).

• Is the opinion of everyone to go ahead and buy the 650 instead of a 600 ??

I went through 3 Sprint 600s all for warranty/dying issues ... so QA issues from P1 IMHO is probably close to the same after reading through the posts. Even if I get a 600, it might die too....

• Would you all suggest 650 over 600 now? (in my own thoughts, I'm thinking - YES - fwiw)

(my thinking for a 600 might be that if getting it now, at least they might be a little better than when I bought my original(s) from P1/Sprint the first few times but that isn't a guarantee)

Lastly, I was going to order this from PalmOne b/c I can get it UNLOCKED there. TreoCentral doesn't have it unlocked... HOWEVER, I jumped on eBay and took a quick look and found some 650s running around $560 (NEW, UNLOCKED etc.)

Is there a difference with the one PalmOne is selling versus this guy eBay link

• THOUGHTS on this- any input is appreciated.

TIA.
    I think the 650 is a huge improvement over the 600 in many subtle ways.
    But most importantly the 650 supports EDGE data (up to about 160kbps) whereas the 600 only supports GPRS at a top speed on about 35kbps.
    If you're coming from Sprint, you're already used to the faster speed the 600 enjoyed there. So for that reason alone I highly suggest a 650.
    Also the sceen an bluetooth on the 650 are really nice.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    I have had 3 different 650s and 2 SIM cards and I still cannot make 100% of my phone calls when I have a signal.... junk.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Go with the 650. The best indicator for me was when I used my wife's 600 after having used the 650 exclusively for about 1 month - man, what a difference. The 650 is clearer, quicker, love the BT and it is no less stable than the 600 (mine is actually pretty stable).

Get unlimited data, because the data rate is very fast on Cingular and you will end up using it more (if you're into that).

Cingular is supposed to unlock your treo for free after 90 days of service (haven't got there yet), so the unlocked may not be as big an issue. Also, I have found PDANet works very well and you might be able to save a couple more bucks with a locked Treo.

****IMPORTANT*****
    When you get the 650 - make sure you setup the new device properly. You cannot just load the new desktop over the old one and sync - you need to do a clean install or it gets ugly. There is a lot of discussion here, but in a nutshell, sync the old device, copy your palm folder to a new location, remove the old palm desktop, delete the leftover folders, then load the new desktop and move your apps to the new device one at a time.

Apparently, this is actually in the manual, but who reads that.... I could have read the entire manual in the time I wasted doing it the wrong way...
  5.    #5  
    Thanks Pabo and Tommy/Taylor for your comments.

Pabo - Good info from you. TWO Questions for you ...

1) What is this PDANet deal? Haven't heard of it or if I have, I've glazed over it and missed it.

2) So, regarding the desktop to T650 etc..., if I have a backup of my Treo 600 using BackupMan... will I not be able to restore my programs etc. that way? Assuming that will not work by what you describe below even though you are talking about restoring from desktop to palm.

TIA.

Quote Originally Posted by pabo
    Go with the 650. The best indicator for me was when I used my wife's 600 after having used the 650 exclusively for about 1 month - man, what a difference. The 650 is clearer, quicker, love the BT and it is no less stable than the 600 (mine is actually pretty stable).

Get unlimited data, because the data rate is very fast on Cingular and you will end up using it more (if you're into that).

Cingular is supposed to unlock your treo for free after 90 days of service (haven't got there yet), so the unlocked may not be as big an issue. Also, I have found PDANet works very well and you might be able to save a couple more bucks with a locked Treo.

****IMPORTANT*****
    When you get the 650 - make sure you setup the new device properly. You cannot just load the new desktop over the old one and sync - you need to do a clean install or it gets ugly. There is a lot of discussion here, but in a nutshell, sync the old device, copy your palm folder to a new location, remove the old palm desktop, delete the leftover folders, then load the new desktop and move your apps to the new device one at a time.

Apparently, this is actually in the manual, but who reads that.... I could have read the entire manual in the time I wasted doing it the wrong way...
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...+650+upgraders
    85% from this poll are glad they moved from the T600 to the T650.

There is always about an 80%/20% split on these things. Since people who are happy don't run to complain on public boards you might get the impression more people are unhappy when the unhappy are very much in the minority. I've found after owing the T300, T600 and T650 that there are is always an unhappy bunch.
    I too had your same thoughts. I went with the 600 first though...after about 3 weeks I got my hands on a 650 and decided to get rid of the 600 and upgrade. Well worth it. Doesn't look like the improvements are huge on paper, but the bluetooth (even though it doesn't have A2DM profile) is great, crisp color screen is great. It's speedier and I don't have many problems.

I'm on Cingular as well, and have had to replace 1 SIM card, but that's it.
    --> Me fail english? That's unpossible!! <--
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    your welcome...

PDANet http://www.junefabrics.com/index.php
    get a demo and try it out. I am not smart enough to figure out the DUN / XP stuff - this works as the dialer in essence, via BT or USB and allows the Treo to act as a wireless modem. There is a Treo and a PC component to the app. I have used this for a while, and found that it works well. The Cingualr connection is fast, and it runs about twice the speed of a normal 56k dialup connection. Plus you get the added bonus of everyone staring at you in the airport when you set your Treo on the table next to your laptop and start surfing the net.....

As far as BackupMan, I cannot help you with specifics. My real point was that you cannot just hotsync the 650 and have everything magically work. What worked very well for me was to "reinstall" my apps - this appeared to eliminate the memory issues folks had early on.

hope this helps.
    okie_tex,
    From what I have seen, a large majority are very pleased upgrading from the 600 to the 650. This is my first treo and so far I am very happy with it (I've had it for about 2.5 weeks now). I am with Cingular and have a locked 650 GSM. I have had a few resets but when I look at the error log, it's always becuase of versamail. I guess this is pretty much common knowledge that versamail is not the greatest program and will cause resets now and then. The only software I have loaded is from the supplied CD but I will be loading either Lightwav, Call Filter or Ringo shortly as well as FileZ. One weird thing though, when I spoke to people they would hear an echo of their own voice. I was a little concerned but I soon discovered that it was my accessory case which was causing the problem, so I took the case off and all is well. This is just a great phone in general, my previous phone was a Audiovox SMT 5600 smartphone and the treo is just so much better.

With this also being my general underatanding of the issue, I can't quite figure out the logic of buying "unclocked" versions for $600 when a Cingular version which could be unclocked 3 months later or if you "were going abroad" could be had for $325. Seems we're "missing something"
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    obviously, if you're on TMo you need unlocked. In addition, it will fetch an addition $100 or so on ebay when you sell it to buy a 700...
    In addition, it will fetch an addition $100 or so on ebay when you sell it to buy a 700...
    Pay $275 more to get $100 on the sale ? You're good If I ever need a marketing person you're it !
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    ... never said it was a good reason, just a reason ...
    Oh, I wasn't knocking ya reason pabo, quite the opposite, I was just admiring your talent to look on the "bright side of things". Next time we all wanna buy something and am looking for reasons to justify the cost to our spouses, you should charge for advice !
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    rationalization is a wonderful thing.....
  16.    #16  
    Well, from other information I read, it was important to have an "unlocked" version for the DUN stuff ... I don't care about my notebook but I have a PocketPC that I'm using right now with BT & my cell and would like to do the same b/c the browser etc.. is better on my PocketPC than the Treo (well, I'm guessing ... from my use of the Treo 600). It wouldn't do some stuff that the PocketPC can do in regards to some special web apps I have. THANKS ALL FOR THE BIG HELP and your thoughts/opinions. I'm buying one ...

looking here ... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...767471380&rd=1

as it seems like a reasonable price if what they say is all true.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    small world - these guys are located about 3 miles from where I am sitting right now.....

looks legit. good luck.
    I had a 600 on Cingular and now a 650 on Cingular.

With my 600, I had to return 7 of them to PalmOne for various issues (screen problems, speaker problems, etc.)

I have had the same 650 now for 2 months with no problems (knock on wood).

It is superior to the 600 in so many ways that I wonder how I ever made it with the 600.
    1. HTC Touch Dual Neon 300, Stock Rom
    2. AT&T Tilt (Refurb) with DK.8 Rom (collecting dust)
    Quote Originally Posted by okie_tex
    Well, from other information I read, it was important to have an "unlocked" version for the DUN stuff ...
    My laptop is not BT capable so, until I get a replace,ent, I haven't delved into it. But at the bottom of this page you'll find BT patches that low DUN connections for GSM and CDMA

http://shadowmite.com/p-f.html

Instructions are here:

http://shadowmite.com/HowToDUN.html

Also look here:

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=80151
  20.    #20  
    Many thanks guys. Much appreciated...