1.    #1  
    Hello Fellow T|Cer's

Well i'm sure some of us has seen that PalmOne is now offering overpriced ($1.99!!!) ringtones for our Treo's (600 and 650). Idk about you but I don't feel like paying for MIDI files for ringtones. They are nice but they are no MP3 replacement by far... soooooo Here's a way to get those ringtones for free!

1. You should be using FireFox, if not.. well that's your own problem).
    2. Goto this address and go through the motions of picking your Treo...
    3. Find a ringtone you would like to listen to and select the Speaker Icon.
    4. When the pop up window comes up you may see a message about needing a plugin for Quicktime.. just ignore this and right click the grey area, then select Veiw Page Info.
    5. Click on the Media Tab and under Address you'll see two listings, the second one is an MP3 file of the Midi song. Select that and then click on Save As and give it a meaningful title.
    6. You can now use this with your MP3 ringer program (Mine is Lightwav for better or for worst)... or you can use a program like AV Music Morpher to convert it to WAV so you don't have to use any additional software (just use low Sampling Rate like 8000... it is a midi file after all!).

Enjoy everyone...

Timmay
    I知 a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    i tried following your directions through I.E. but never got the screens which you indicated would pop up.
    help, please
    thanx
    The poster clearly states that you need to be using FIREFOX for this to work correctly.
    nice info, thanks! i knew firefox would come in handy!

works like a charm.
    Cingular Blue
    Treo 650 (now unlocked)
    Firmware: 1.05
    Current Software: Treo650-1.04-CNB
    Checked out thier offerings....kind of funky.....Played B52's Love Shack and it was for the most part unrecognizable. The only song I see fit for my Treo is the alarm clock sequence from the Pink Floyd's DSotM. Maybe that woud do a better job waking my kids up in the morning.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by DrAndy
    i tried following your directions through I.E. but never got the screens which you indicated would pop up.
    help, please
    thanx
    idk how to do this in IE... you'll be better off with FireFox anyway... Sorry man
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    i got the ringtones to work.

to DANSANY....we are all not perfect. the original poster said "You should be using", not MUST".
    Forgive us mere mortals who make errors.
    Thanks for the download tip. If I convert the MP3 to WAV, the 650 can use it natively? Which directory do I put the .WAV files into? Thanks!
    I tried it and it works, but the quality of the "mp3" is pretty bad. By quality I mean it sounds like it was made from a cheap synthesizer. Just stick to your regular mp3 ringers that you can make yourself, would be my advice.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by AddictedToTech
    Thanks for the download tip. If I convert the MP3 to WAV, the 650 can use it natively? Which directory do I put the .WAV files into? Thanks!
    Well using the PalmOne quick install tool you should be able to upload it to your Treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quantum_Man
    I tried it and it works, but the quality of the "mp3" is pretty bad. By quality I mean it sounds like it was made from a cheap synthesizer. Just stick to your regular mp3 ringers that you can make yourself, would be my advice.
    Very True, I just saw this and did want anyone to pay for these crappy ringtones.
    The ones I love..

Twittering about
    I have carried out the instructions and have converted the file to a .wav file, however it only allows me to install it to the card. How do I now set this up to look at them as a ringtone. I know my way round my Treo 600 (mostly), but I obviously cant find the right setting. Where is it?

Thanks in Advance

Maza
    Not to poo poo on the parade, but doesn't this amount to Theft of Service? (taking for free when thats clearly not the intent of the service)

Unethical at the least?

No judgement, just asking.

Thread Crapper
    ~ August 16,2005 Poll-Master ~
    August 17, 2005 Century Club Member ~ August 29, 2005

I have a fondness for intelligence.
    I often black out when doing something really stupid. I supose that's why I'm such a danger to my self

13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLiveSoundGuy
    Not to poo poo on the parade, but doesn't this amount to Theft of Service? (taking for free when thats clearly not the intent of the service)

Unethical at the least?

No judgement, just asking.
    and charging $2 for a crappy ringtone is %100 A OK!...

I don't care... I paid for the Treo and all the software on it... I don't feel bad about stealing a $2 ringtone...

no harm TheLiveSoundGuy...

Timmay
    The ones I love..

Twittering about
    Please help. I'm sure you all know how to do it. I just dont want to get forgotten as you talk about its legality. (It is a bit of a rip off) alternatively does anyone know of a free MP3 ringer/free ringtone manager that allows music from card to be put as a ringtone (is it possible to put music on the internal memory? (treo 600))
    Last edited by FreakShow!; 08/11/2005 at 05:32 PM.
  15.    #15  
    Freak, you can either move it to your card, then navigate to the card using blazer (i think the address is something like \\\\Palm\(card name)\(Where ever the file is saved), select the file and then save it to your treo. or you may be able to just move it to your treo using Filez.

But i'm not entirely sure that this will work with the Treo 600...

Timmay
    The ones I love..

Twittering about
    There is simple solution to having unlimited mp3 ringtones. First get lightwav or some similar ringtone manager for your treo. Then get a free program called audacity. This is a simple audio editing software that runs on windows. Take any of your favorite music on your harddrive and drag it into audacity and crop out the portion of the song you want to be your ringtone. Save as mp3, and put in on your sd expansion card.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk
    Hello Fellow T|Cer's

Well i'm sure some of us has seen that PalmOne is now offering overpriced ($1.99!!!) ringtones for our Treo's (600 and 650). Idk about you but I don't feel like paying for MIDI files for ringtones. They are nice but they are no MP3 replacement by far... soooooo Here's a way to get those ringtones for free!

1. You should be using FireFox, if not.. well that's your own problem).
    2. Goto this address and go through the motions of picking your Treo...
    3. Find a ringtone you would like to listen to and select the Speaker Icon.
    4. When the pop up window comes up you may see a message about needing a plugin for Quicktime.. just ignore this and right click the grey area, then select Veiw Page Info.
    5. Click on the Media Tab and under Address you'll see two listings, the second one is an MP3 file of the Midi song. Select that and then click on Save As and give it a meaningful title.
    6. You can now use this with your MP3 ringer program (Mine is Lightwav for better or for worst)... or you can use a program like AV Music Morpher to convert it to WAV so you don't have to use any additional software (just use low Sampling Rate like 8000... it is a midi file after all!).

Enjoy everyone...

Timmay
    Very, very sad. Regardless of the price of the "crappy" ringtone (why would you want it, anyway?). But SOMEONE encoded and SOMEONE is paying rights to the music.

It's called theft and while most might think it's okay, I don't. Why do you think they're charging $2? Because of the ratio of people who buy and people who steal.

Pamela
    Using my treo 650 for business:
    DesignExtend.com
    Quote Originally Posted by mediasi
    Very, very sad. Regardless of the price of the "crappy" ringtone (why would you want it, anyway?). But SOMEONE encoded and SOMEONE is paying rights to the music.

It's called theft and while most might think it's okay, I don't. Why do you think they're charging $2? Because of the ratio of people who buy and people who steal.

Pamela
    I think they already know it's theft.

Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk
    I don't care... I paid for the Treo and all the software on it... I don't feel bad about stealing a $2 ringtone...

Thread Crapper
    ~ August 16,2005 Poll-Master ~
    August 17, 2005 Century Club Member ~ August 29, 2005

I have a fondness for intelligence.
    I often black out when doing something really stupid. I supose that's why I'm such a danger to my self