1.    #1  
    I've been looking at Standalone Software's Password Store to use as my password storage program. I've looked at a LOT of password programs, and this is one of the few that can sync with a desktop app on on the Mac and PC. And, of those, this seems to be the best designed.

Anyone have some first-hand experience with it?

We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
    I use password store. I like it a lot I have it password protected so no one can get a look at the passwords I have in my visor. I also like how it backs up the passwords. I have lost all my data (hard resets because of the dram problem) and have not had one problem getting the data restored. I have 28 passwords in all stored in password store. I think its one of the best programs for storing your passwords in!! let me know if you have any other Questions.
    I use an application called "Secret!" that (I think) I got from palmgear. Secret! uses the IDEA-128 encryption, which if you are a security weenie (guilty) you understand. For everyone else: IDEA-128 is a strong encryption; much better than DES-56 (Unix passwords) and SSL-48 (old "export" grade secure web encryption).

Russell Kent
    I have been using an app called "Strip" ( http://www.zetetic.net ) -- I believe it is similar to Secret! but freeware (GNU Public License). It supports 128bit IDEA encryption, however it can also use 56bit DES. Its pretty nice because it allows multiple categories and supports notes attached to categories or password entries -- for example, I maintain a few websites/email accounts/etc so I created a new category for each company, and inside I have the email accounts listed along with other system passwords w/notes that specify setup instructions (ie, mail server addresses, default email box config, etc..)

However, I do not believe there is a desktop counterpart to this app as it was designed to be used out in the field (for IT Professionals)

Joe
  5.    #5  
    Strip and Secret are both good programs as well, as I've tried them both (and many more!) but I really am looking for a program that can sync with a password program on the computer, ideally both in a Mac and PC environment. So far, Password Store seems to be the most user-friendly.

However, I do NOT know what level of encryption it has. Does anyone know?
    -David Byrne
  6.    #6  
    I just got an email from Standalone Software. They use Blowfish Encryption, and, even better news, they've decided to give the desktop programs away FREE with the purchase of the handlheld programs. So BOTH the handheld and desktop apps are $15 as a package.

I'm buying!

-David Byrne
  7.    #7  
    Has anyone tried contacting Standalone lately? I was finally getting around to ordering their program, but I can't get the package price of $15 online and I haven't received a response from them in days via email. Are they alive?
    -David Byrne
    I'm using Password Store 2.0. It's a must-have neat little program. It's first password storing program that I tried out and I haven't try anything else since. Download a copy of everything and see which one you like best. Most of them have demo versions.

What is new today will be old tomorrow..
  9.    #9  
    echinye:

I've done that already. I want to purchase Password Store, but they haven't responded to email in about a week. Makes me a bit wary...
    -David Byrne
    Homer: Did you try to register from Palmgear?
    What is new today will be old tomorrow..
  11.    #11  
    That's the problem I CAN"T order the package set of both the Palm and Desktop apps for $15 like they told me was available in an email a few weeks ago.

So, I emailed them a few times but haven't heard back. I'm guessing they're all on vacation or something...it's just a little disconcerting to have them take so long to answer emails...

-David Byrne
    I decided that I didn't want another tiny little app on my Visor simply to say I had it installed.

I needed a program to store passwords, etc., so I made an encrypted database for ThinkDB. Most of my passwords are website things, so I store the website name, URL, my username and password, then any notes.

The other option I used for a small while simply to create a "Security" category in my memopad except that I use MemoSafe (which I thought used a Blowfish algorithm). Each memo in the Security category could be either a category containing passwords, or simply a memo containing one password and related information.

Like I said before, if you already have a program that will do what you need (like store a _database_ of passwords), then why not use it as opposed to having to add another program that is limited in its use?

Chazzz
    dedicated to better ideas...
    ThinkDB is available from www.thinkingbytes.com
  13.    #13  
    Chazz:

For the record, I did end up purchasing Password Store and am happy. For $15 I get a decent Palm APP and a decent desktop app.

Chazz, how good is the security/encryption with thinkDB? That may be a nice option down the road as I outgrow password store.

-David Byrne
    Chazz:

How easy it is to build custom databases with ThinkDB?
  15.    #15  
    I thought it was time to resurect this thread with an update.

I've been using Password Store for about 2.5 months now and it STILL doesn't properly sync with the desktop version on the Mac. The company has been friendly and has been sending a constant stream of updates to me, but I really need a GOOD password program with a Mac Desktop companion NOW.

So, I thought I'd ask around again.

Chazzz: If you are still around, what kind of security does the ThinkDB application provide? I've been using ThinkDB and have been quite happy with it, and that may be an option (even without the Mac desktop version).

echinye: You mention that you are using Password Store 2. Are you sure about that? I'm using 1.81 and that is the latest version that they've sent me to test.
    -David Byrne
    Cerulean noted: "I have been using an app called "Strip" ( http://www.zetetic.net ) -- I believe it is similar to Secret! but freeware (GNU Public License). It supports 128bit IDEA encryption, however it can also use 56bit DES."

Just another "Me too" post to say that I have been a happy Strip user (uh... does that make one a Stripper???) for some months. Very good. Good price, too... FREE!!!
    <B>Traveliter</B>/ Lani Teshima. 2000: Blue Vdx. 2001: Vpl. Travel writer, <A href="http://www.mouseplanet.com/lani/">MousePlanet.com</A>
    Publisher/Editor:
    - <B><A href="http://www.pilotlite.org">Pilotlite.org</A></B>: Simplify your travel with a PDA.
    - <B><A href="http://www.travelite.org">Travelite.org</A></B>: Learn how to travel with just your carry-on
    Sorry for not checking back in here for such a long time.

To yardie: In general, it's CAKEWALK to build custom databases. thinkDB 2.0 has one of the best interfaces around -- and now the Palm-based version is a free download! If you want the Desktop with HotSync conduit and the whole shootin' match, then you pay for that.

To homer: you know, I've emailed thinkingbytes a few times and still haven't received an answer as to what kind of encryption it uses. Maybe that's a bad sign. I'll try emailing Armando directly and see if he can tell me... "support@thinkingbytes" hasn't worked yet.

Wish I had more to report...