1.    #1  
    Please excuse my ignorance regarding VPNs. I just got Mergic and Palm VNC, hearing that this combo worked well to control a computer remotely. I've gotten Mergic VPN to connect to my server at work just fine, but I'm not sure how Palm VNC fits into all of this. Can someone please help a VPN novice? How do I get my work desktop to show up on the Palm screen? To use Palm VNC does Ultra VNC have to be installed on our work server? If Mergic VPN is creating the tunnel, shouldn't Palm VNC be able to use that and serve as a terminal?
    I'm no expert, but you need both. Mergic for the tunnel, VNC to act as the remote control. It works for me but took a while to set up. Do a search on this board or follow the Mergic/VNC instructions. They were pretty thorough when I did it. But it is a little bit of a pain so be patient.
    i use just Palm VNC, nothing else. You dont need to VPN - Palm VNC connects too. If youre using a router you have to open up port 5900 and forward it to the pc you want to control.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by blazinlow
    i use just Palm VNC, nothing else. You dont need to VPN - Palm VNC connects too. If youre using a router you have to open up port 5900 and forward it to the pc you want to control.
    Thanks for the input, guys. blazinlow, can you give a bit more detail on your method? Did you need to install anything (like Ultra VNC) on your server?
    Your answer applies to a "home" setup, not a "work" setup, unless where you work there is no such thing as a firewall.

To use this method, IMO, you've already conquered the hard part...VPN. If you can connect to your network, then simply install Ultra VNC on your work PC and configure it with a password. Then, on your treo, connect to VPN, then lauch PalmVNC and connect to your work computer (you need to know you IP address). This process is very well documented, so a search should give you all the answers you need.

HTH,
    Joe
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    If you run a firewall at work, why cant you just allow the port?
    If you run a firewall at work, why cant you just allow the port?
    You assume the average user has the appropriate access to do this. How many people here do you think are the firewall admins for their company?

BTW, I don't know a single security admin who would allow vnc directly through a corporate firewall.
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein