Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Well, here's a problem with my 650GSM.

BackupMan (I'm using 1.52) causes the Treo to soft-reset whenever whenever I try a backup. I can't tell what file or process is causing the reset. Except that it doesn't crash when I try to do a backup after a warm reset (so I it's a process?).

Is there any way to determine what is causing the reset? I searched the forums to no avail. :-(

These are the installed apps:

Adobe Reader
    BackupMan (obviously)
    BigClock
    BDicty
    Butler
    Converter
    Dir Assist
    Currency
    Discovery
    Documents
    FlightStatus
    eReader
    KeyContacts
    KeyDates
    KeyNotes
    KeyToday
    KeyTasks
    mSafe
    pTunes
    RescoView
    Sketcher
    Snappermail
    SplashPhoto
    Tipsy
    Uninstall
    VersaMail
    WorldMate Pro
    ZLauncher
    I recall a few threads where people were reporting the same error. I'm a registered Backupman user, but since getting my 650, I've not installed it b/c of the reports.

If I can find those threads, I'll repost them here.
    I remember reading that the phone (radio) must be turned off during the backup.
    LOL
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    I've been using BackupMan 1.52 for some time now... have done a few restores (complete and individual files), all without error. I always leave the radio on... no probs. I have a locked Cing. 650, 5.3MB free, with tons of stuff in RAM and on 512MB card. BackupMan is great!
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger
    I remember reading that the phone (radio) must be turned off during the backup.
    LOL
    Yes, I read that too. That didn't solve the problem.
    Bits n' Bolts software support has not been too helpful on this issue. They previously put the onus on p1 to fix the NVFS problem, saying that was the cause of all the soft resets. Now they're telling me they can't reproduce the problem. Whoever is having this problem should report this also to Bits n' Bolts to hopefully prompt them to look into this more seriously, as it is annoying. I'm getting resets at the end of every backup process and sometimes during them...
  7.    #7  
    I've actually been playing around with this. You don't happen to be running Butler?
    Quote Originally Posted by tcc
    I've actually been playing around with this. You don't happen to be running Butler?
    If you are referring to me, yes I am running Butler. Do you think this is the issue?
    I run Butler and BackupMan, and I get resets at the end of the backup process. I also make sure the phone is off. I've been avoiding backups lately, but if Butler is part of the cause....then...hmmm
    I seem to recall reading somewhere here about getting resets while backing up if you are too low on memory. How much mem do you have left?
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    Quote Originally Posted by millerhifi
    I seem to recall reading somewhere here about getting resets while backing up if you are too low on memory. How much mem do you have left?
    I just started experiencing this problem this morning, and I've got 11.2 free. If BuM needs more than that to work with then I want my money back.
    I have been using backupMan since the 650 release with ZERO problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by rayfield
    I just started experiencing this problem this morning, and I've got 11.2 free. If BuM needs more than that to work with then I want my money back.
    I've never had a problem with BuM! Right now I've got 4.7m available.
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by acousticbiker
    If you are referring to me, yes I am running Butler. Do you think this is the issue?
    It may be. I disabled Butler and the resets seemed to stop. Of course, I had another random one during a backup last night, but that might have been a fluke (as if those are acceptable).
    I have had a few problems with BackupMan but it is currently stable on my Treo650. One of my issues was having a non-system font for BackupMan. I had Fonts4OS5 set to have a default font of Handera 22 Bold and that made it crash.
    Quote Originally Posted by nrosser
    I run Butler and BackupMan, and I get resets at the end of the backup process. I also make sure the phone is off. I've been avoiding backups lately, but if Butler is part of the cause....then...hmmm

I was wondering why mine has been doing the same exact thing. It never used to reset even with radio on. I've recently installed OTA via Sprint Bulter 1.81 but I never suspected it to be the cause of the resets after backups. Deleting butler didn't help but disabling the features I had enabled like the LED did. Thanks for the tip. I guess I'll be requesting a refund from Sprint on this one.
    Last edited by aznmode; 04/25/2005 at 05:26 PM.
  17.    #17  
    Well, in all honesty I'm not certain the Butler is the culprit, but it seems like it. I disabled the functions as well (without deleting the program), and the soft resets are greatly reduced (although not eliminated completely). I've got so many apps by now it's difficult to troubleshoot throughly.
    I haven't got Butler, in fact I use few third-party applications that are candidates for conflict, except Launcher X and maybe TreoAlarm. Which is why I find it aggravating that the BuM folks won't at least acknowledge there is a problem.
    I posted this in another thread, but a zero-out reset fixed backupman for me completely. have done a bunch of backups with no problems. I suspect something got "stuck" in memory that confused backupman. btw, backupman 1.53 was released as of yesterday...
    -- berto
    Quote Originally Posted by bertopl
    I posted this in another thread, but a zero-out reset fixed backupman for me completely. have done a bunch of backups with no problems. I suspect something got "stuck" in memory that confused backupman. btw, backupman 1.53 was released as of yesterday...
    Thanks, bertopl. How do you do a "zero-out" reset?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast