Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=PalmSupportKB,ts=Palm_External2001,case=obj(887)#zeroout
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    Quote Originally Posted by bertopl
    btw, backupman 1.53 was released as of yesterday...
    Thanks for the heads up!
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    Quote Originally Posted by acousticbiker
    Thanks, bertopl. How do you do a "zero-out" reset?
    follow this link and scroll to the bottom of the page:

http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=PalmSupportKB,ts=Palm_External2001,case=obj(887)

*WARNING* this is a more thorough form of a hard reset, you will lose all your data!! I performed this when a normal hard reset just didn't work for me. I would suggest building all your apps from scratch. I did a zero-out reset and rebuilt a good core of apps and did a clean backupman backup. now I can do a hard reset / zero-out reset, restore from my core backup and have a nice start in rebuilding if I ever needed to. good luck!!
    -- berto
    in fact, i got reset after backup in more than 3 kinds of backup software ( backupman, tealbackup, botzman ...etc)

i dont think is the single backup software's fault

i've tried diable butler and some 3rd party software, but helpless
    Tried to apply "latest" BuM:

-- "About" gives v. 1.52, not 1.53

-- halts about 3% through the backup with:

System backup FAILED.

The file reference number is invalid (0x2A03)
    Oops -- guess I failed to replace the old version. Tried again, and now "about" shows 1.53.

However:

-- running it with the phone turned on produces the same error message above

-- running it with the phone turned off has produced the same error message above, and (twice) a soft reset on completion
    Quote Originally Posted by aznmode
    I was wondering why mine has been doing the same exact thing. It never used to reset even with radio on. I've recently installed OTA via Sprint Bulter 1.81 but I never suspected it to be the cause of the resets after backups. Deleting butler didn't help but disabling the features I had enabled like the LED did. Thanks for the tip. I guess I'll be requesting a refund from Sprint on this one.
    I have seem to fixed the reset problem with backupman and butler without disabling butler settings or doing a zero reset. This is what I did. I backed up my current setting. Ofcourse this caused a reset after backup. I then did a hard reset and reinstalled only the files I needed to restore. This excludes network settings, etc that are already set after the hard reset. It only took me less than 2 min to weed out which I needed and which I did not. After the individual backups was complete, I did a soft reset. After the reset I performed another backup just to save my current settings. And this time no reset. Checked my Butler setting and my settings are still enabled. I tried 2 more backups to be sure and neither reset my phone.

Let me also add that this freed up an additional 2MB of RAM.
    Quote Originally Posted by aznmode
    I have seem to fixed the reset problem with backupman and butler without disabling butler settings or doing a zero reset. This is what I did. I backed up my current setting. Ofcourse this caused a reset after backup. I then did a hard reset and reinstalled only the files I needed to restore. This excludes network settings, etc that are already set after the hard reset. It only took me less than 2 min to weed out which I needed and which I did not. After the individual backups was complete, I did a soft reset. After the reset I performed another backup just to save my current settings. And this time no reset. Checked my Butler setting and my settings are still enabled. I tried 2 more backups to be sure and neither reset my phone.

Let me also add that this freed up an additional 2MB of RAM.
    One last thing. If you internet isn't working after the above procedure, simply go to Pref > Network and tap on "Connect".
    I am glad that you were able to get a work around, but I wouldn't want to jump through those kinds of hoops to get a backup solution to work...

I am not evangelizing as I have no interest in persuading anyone anything, but I don't have to go through any workarounds or special anything to get my backup software of choice to do neither backup nor restore...

You should all do yourselves a favor and try to find another software backup solution that works a bit more robustly...

Just my humble opinion...cheers
    Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tcc
    Well, in all honesty I'm not certain the Butler is the culprit, but it seems like it. I disabled the functions as well (without deleting the program), and the soft resets are greatly reduced (although not eliminated completely). I've got so many apps by now it's difficult to troubleshoot throughly.
    I'll second on Butler having issues. I tried Butler for a few days and kept getting constant resets, so I deleted it off my Treo and now, pretty good results. Some resets, but not nearly as bad as when Butler was installed.
  11.    #31  
    So, it looks like at least 3 people (including myself) have had problems with Butler and BackupMan.

Here's the next question: does BackupMan have to be removed completely, or can we still leave it running, but with only certain functions activated? For example:

I experience backup soft-resets when the following is activated:
    K-Launch
    Attention
    LED

I _don't_ experience backup soft-resets when the following is activated:
    LED

Anyone else? Oh, and who is to blame here, BackupMan or Butler?
    Quote Originally Posted by mattyparanoid
    I am glad that you were able to get a work around, but I wouldn't want to jump through those kinds of hoops to get a backup solution to work...

I am not evangelizing as I have no interest in persuading anyone anything, but I don't have to go through any workarounds or special anything to get my backup software of choice to do neither backup nor restore...

You should all do yourselves a favor and try to find another software backup solution that works a bit more robustly...

Just my humble opinion...cheers
    I disagree. The procedure I provided us not cumbersome at all. Not to add the additional RAM I freed up. I think Backupman is a great program.
    Last edited by aznmode; 04/29/2005 at 07:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by tcc
    So, it looks like at least 3 people (including myself) have had problems with Butler and BackupMan.

Here's the next question: does BackupMan have to be removed completely, or can we still leave it running, but with only certain functions activated? For example:

I experience backup soft-resets when the following is activated:
    K-Launch
    Attention
    LED

I _don't_ experience backup soft-resets when the following is activated:
    LED

Anyone else? Oh, and who is to blame here, BackupMan or Butler?
    Well, I'm not using Butler, so guess which one I blame?
    I was having the same problem (no Butler here either).

Then I realized that VeriChat was always getting stuck on the last step, connecting to AIM. I fired up VC, it completed the connection, and the backup went through without problems. I too had previsouly resorted to soft resets to do backups, but hopefully now I have resolved the problem.
    I don't think I've had a reset on Backupman since installing the new Butler (3.0) and the new Firmware (1.12).
    Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    Ditto that...It's been ok since Butler 3.0 was introduced
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12