1.    #1  
    I'm using a Treo650 on Sprint. I have Chinese fonts installed on the phone. If I receive an e-mail on the phone which contains Chinese characters, the characters display correctly.

If I receive an SMS that should contain Chinese characters, the characters are replaced with symbols and gibberish.

Does the SMS system not understand double-byte character sets, or is the problem somewhere else?

Thanks
    install cjkos 4.61 or 4.62, it will handle them well.
    at least works for all unlocked GSM models.
    Pi,
    where do you get the chinese fonts installed in your treo 650?
  4. yee
    same problem here on Cingular, those Chinese characters never displayed correctly on my Treo phone when someone sent SM to me from China. I think Cingular and Sprint just currently do not support it.

hamg, you can get the cjkos from palmgear.com, the program comes with several chinese fonts.
    SprintPCS uses its own standard when handling SMS. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $you$ $can$ $receive$ $SMS$ $from$ $oversea$, $but$ $you$ $can$ $not$ $reply$ $to$ $it$ $unless$ $you$ $know$ $how$ $to$ $setup$ $the$ $gateway$.
    I have 3 problems also:

1) SMS does NOT display Chinese on my ATTWS Treo 650 w CJKOS.
    2) Memo created in Chinese on Treo - Hotsync - Outlook Memo dos NOT display correctly.
    3) Email in Chinese created on Treo. Sent to my Outlook and won't display, but to my Gmail address it displays correctly.

Can anyone help with the fix?
    I think it depends on the encoding you have set. The biggest problem I've encountered is that the id3 tags of mp3s for example are encoded in simplified chinese (gb) but cjkos is set to read big5. There is an smart detection feature but it doesn't work really well. Verichat does the same thing unforuntely, half the time nothing gets displayed properly.

A friend of mine bought his treo650 in taiwan and that came with a specialized (more like customized) version of cjkos for the treo 650. If I remember correctly, the version is 4.62.1 (note the .1) Though he encounters the same problem.

Are there other alternatives to cjkos?

#3, try cjkos.
    There is same problem in Korea.
    I use CDMA sprint model Treo 650.
    Maybe that is encoding problem.
    As I know, GSM Treo 650 work well in SMS.

Any idea ?
    I think this is a problem with the network not the phone. I have a PalmOne unlock GSM Treo and instaledl CJKOS V4.62 (It is updated to V4.62.1) with PenPower2.0P. I was using my Treo in Hong Kong and China with no problem. I was able to send and read SMS in Chinese in both Simplify and Complex form using '3' and 'China Mobile' SIM cards.
    When I went back to the States (Cingular Blue), I cannot even read Chinese in my Versamail correctly. Sometimes, I can read it on my Gmail account via Versamail, most of the time it is unreadable.
    The only thing that is still working correctly is the Blazer Browser, I can read HK April Daily New (WAP) version without any problem. Web version sometimes does not work though.
    Quote Originally Posted by yee
    same problem here on Cingular, those Chinese characters never displayed correctly on my Treo phone when someone sent SM to me from China. I think Cingular and Sprint just currently do not support it.

hamg, you can get the cjkos from palmgear.com, the program comes with several chinese fonts.
    What a Suprise! I am a YEE too.