1.    #1  
    I just activated my new Treo 650. First impression is: "Wow." I've only played around with it for a little while, and I am blown away.

There is one thing that is bugging me:

The 5-way directional pad has a different feel in each of the 4 directions. If I push 'right', for example, it presses, but does not click. If I push 'left', there is a definite *click* that you can hear and feel. I actually prefer the 'no click'. Is this common? Might it go away after some break in?

thanks,
    -Randy
    Mine has the same feel on all directions (just got it on Friday).
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    yes, my T650 is vintage 11/04, seems to be same in all 4 directions. You may want to have it replaced if it is a problem. Or look at it as a collector's item..
    Gene
    Sure its not just your finger? Try using your other hand and see how it works for you then. Maybe it is just the hand you are using, which finger and the amount of pressure you are using.
  5.    #5  
    Definitely not my finger

up and down are the same: a very slight click (about the same as the keyboard)

left is a harder/louder click

right is very soft with no click.

I'm trying to decide if it is worth messing with a replacement.

Overall the phone is amazing. Best signal strength I have ever seen, even though it only shows 1-2 bars usually.

It works in my basement where only a couple phones ever could get signal, and only 1 could ever be used to make calls.

The treo is flawless on calls. The earpiece volume is a little low, but cranked all the way up it is just about right for me. It would be nice to have a few more steps of loudness in case I am talking to someone who is quiet

I have had a few soft resets, but mostly when playing with 3rd party apps, and nothing reproducible.

-Randy
    Who is your service with? If Sprint there is an update available that increases the volume more.
  7.    #7  
    Sprint. I just got the phone today, and it already has the 1.08 update.

-Randy
  8.    #8  
    Does anyone have any more thoughts on this?

I bought it direct from Palm, but they say I need to contact Sprint. Not sure if I want to go through the trouble, but this issue is a bit annoying for a $600 device.

-Randy
    Quote Originally Posted by zesta
    Does anyone have any more thoughts on this?

I bought it direct from Palm, but they say I need to contact Sprint. Not sure if I want to go through the trouble, but this issue is a bit annoying for a $600 device.

-Randy
    That's weird. Palm's Treo store claims that they have a 30-day return policy on all purchases. I would assume that also applies to exchanges of a defective product. I'm surprised they'd try to place all the responsibility on Sprint, even though you bought Palm hardware from a Palm store. . . .
  10.    #10  
    Hmm. Maybe I should call the sales number instead of the tech support number.
    I wonder if they would advance replace it, so I am not out of a phone for a week.
    I'll also check with Sprint, because if they will swap it in-store, that would be better, since I could check out the new one first.

-Randy