1.    #1  
    I feel embarrased to start this string again because I think all of us BMW owners just can't face the fact that the treo650 won't work.....yet.

However, I thought I would try to see if anyone had any updated info. My story: I just bought a BMW X5 2005. I had a Treo 600 and upgraded to the 650 (both with Sprint service). Of course it has many of the same problems others described and in short it is not usable. Makes a call, cuts it off after a few seconds then loading phonebook over and over again.

I have read some posts where the phone works but no phonebook, I haven't had that experience. I have read that the updater helps but although I update, my bluetooth library stays at 238k instead of the ~550k. I don't get it.

Does anyone have any fresh info or know of any aftermarket stuff that may help. For the 16 seconds of the device working, I love it and it is teasing me and making it worse that it doesn't work.. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH.

Thanks
    Same problem. I tried my unlocked GSM 650 on Cingular's network, as well as my brothers branded Cingular 650 (with carkit patch). No luck on either. The strange thing is that at first, I had the same results as you did...connection and audio for about 5 seconds, then the unlocked 650 would go into a re-boot loop. Now, if I have the 650 's bluetooth on, the X5 will constantly try ro connect, and I get the message on the 650 "Connecting to BMWXXXX". This will time out, then try to connect again, and again. I suspect this behavior is due to me not being able to eliminate the X5 from "All known devices" on the 650's bluetooth. I e-mailed BMW customer service to see if they had additional info, and this is the reply that I received:

Thank you for contacting BMW of North America, LLC regarding your 2005 BMW X5. That is a great model vehicle and we hope it is serving you well so far.

Your Palm Treo 650 will probably not ever be able to pair with the Bluetooth system in your BMW. There are several BT “flavors” or so-called BT profiles. The BMW system uses the standard BT Hands-free Profile (HFP 1.0) with additional commands implemented on top of the BT standard to transfer phonebook data from the phone to the car.

BMW is working with phone suppliers and carriers to implement the additional commands, however this support is not based on business agreements and therefore BMW has little leverage to influence phone suppliers to include this. Phones that do not support the additional commands may or may not pair or connect to the vehicle and will only have partial functionality at best. Because of this, phones that do not support the additional phonebook commands will not work as intended, may present significant issues and are therefore listed as non-compatible phones.

All Windows CE based devices are non-compatible at this time, and we do not expect that to change unless the device manufacturers change their Bluetooth profile and transfer protocols on the telephone. I apologize if this is a disappointing answer to you, we understand how convenient PDA devices are for our busy customers.

A list of the current approved handsets is available on our website, http://www.bmwtransact.com/bluetooth. We update this list as soon as new phones are found to be fully compatible.

We hope this information is helpful to you, and we value your loyal business. If you have any further questions, please respond to this e-mail or contact the Customer Relations and Services Department at 1-800-831-1117, Monday through Friday from 9:00 A.M. to 9:00 P.M., Eastern Standard Time.

Sincerely,