1.    #1  
    I just had Palm replace my Treo 650 because its touchscreen would no longer respond. The keypad worked fine, but the touchscreen was completely dead.

It appears to have happened when I cleaned the screen. I had my Treo in a somewhat dusty/dirty environment, and there was some dust hiding along the edge of the screen. So I took a piece of soft cardboard (a sliver of a business card), and used it to gently clean along the edge. I slid it very slightly (perhaps half a millimeter) under the edge to get all the dirt out

Once I had finished my cleaning, the touchscreen no longer worked. So either the failure was an uncanny coincidence, or these screens are incredibly fragile and prone to failure along their edges.

I suggest that you not follow my example. It cost me $25 to get Palm to replace it, and I was without a phone for almost a week.

BTW, if you ever do find yourself in this situation, you may want to avoid resetting your phone while you're waiting for a replacement. When the touchscreen failed, I could still use the phone via the keypad, so it was at least somewhat operable. But I tried a hard reset to see if that would fix the problem, with the result that the phone became completely inoperable. The problem is this - the hard reset takes you to the calibration screen, where the Treo will wait for you to calibrate the stylus. Unfortunately, there is no way to get beyond that screen without the touchscreen working, so the phone becomes useless at that point.
    DANG. I'll remember that.
    I realise this doesn't help you now, but I suspect that your problem was caused by a piece of that dirt, or perhaps even a sliver of the card that you used, becoming lodged between the screen and the surround, thus keeping the screen pressed at that point. I had it happen on my old IIIx.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by jetkins
    I suspect that your problem was caused by a piece of that dirt becoming lodged between the screen and the surround, thus keeping the screen pressed at that point.
    It's certainly possible. I did think of that, and I tried to go back and clear out anything that might have been lodged in there (what the heck - at that point I might as well try), but without success. So I really can't say for sure either way.

How did you resolve the problem with your IIIx? It may not help me, but it might help someone else who comes along and reads this thread.
    Same thing happened to a friend of mine.
    She took her treo to the beach and all of a sudden the touch screen stopped working.
    She was going to take it back but asked me to take a look at it.
    I found a small small small grain of sand lodged in the side.
    It was keeping the screen depressed.
    I slid it out with a thin sewing needle and that solved her problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Longstrider
    Same thing happened to a friend of mine.
    She took her treo to the beach and all of a sudden the touch screen stopped working.
    She was going to take it back but asked me to take a look at it.
    I found a small small small grain of sand lodged in the side.
    It was keeping the screen depressed.
    I slid it out with a thin sewing needle and that solved her problem.

Treo Surgeons, UNITE!
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    I cleaned my treo in much the same way. And just like yours the touch screen quit working. Man was I sweating, anywho I applied pressure to the screen frame and it started working again.
    The lesson here is: DO NOT slide anything in the perimeter of the screen to clean it. If you do and the touchscreen stops working, you can fix it by taking the case apart.
    ALternatively, never let any dust or sand or any other small particles get on your screen - so really you are best off leaving the treo in a sealed baggie at all times - like a Treo condom. If something does get on the screen whatever you do DON'T TOUCH IT or the screen will stop working and the underwear gnomes will eat your genitals.
    I find that running water over your screen is actually the best way to clean it.
    You just have to be careful not to let water get into the sides.
    You gotta be quick... like when you play that game with the marble on the wooden maze that tilts on two different planes...

Or maybe most of you are too young to remember that game.

But I digress...
    run water directly on the screen to clean it. Works great for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Longstrider
    I find that running water over your screen is actually the best way to clean it.
    You just have to be careful not to let water get into the sides.
    You gotta be quick... like when you play that game with the marble on the wooden maze that tilts on two different planes...

Or maybe most of you are too young to remember that game.

But I digress...
    run water directly on the screen to clean it. Works great for me.
    LOL, a $500 game of labyrinth!

For those of you who are too young to remember: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...bosnation0e-20
    <br>
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilliland
    How did you resolve the problem with your IIIx? It may not help me, but it might help someone else who comes along and reads this thread.
    I used a very thin piece of plastic (actually, an Australian banknote) to go around the edge again and dislodge the offending grain of crud.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    I had a temperamental treo 600 where the digitizer would go out of alignment and the screen would play dead. Would not respond at all.

Preferences, Touchscreen in the treo 650. Once I redid the alignment it would be OK.