Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Windows XP gives me a "USB Device Not Recognized" when i try to sync all of a sudden ? I removed all the palm software, rebooted, reinstalled, rebooted, hit sync same thing ??

Whats causing this ?
    cable?

Try this... when that happens: you get an error message on your monitor and your handheld is still trying to communicate... at that point, press the hotsync button again to cancel the operation, wait a moment, then press it again to start a new hotsync.. just try it.

If you want more out of the Treo 650 as do I...

Please say something about it at www.treo650update.com

Thanks!
    Last edited by tundycentral; 04/12/2005 at 09:35 AM.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by tundycentral
    cable?

Try this... when that happens: you get an error message on your monitor and your handheld is still trying to communicate... at that point, press the hotsync button again to cancel the operation, wait a moment, then press it again to start a new hotsync.. just try it.

If you want more out of the Treo 650 as do I...

Please say something about it at www.treo650update.com

Thanks!
    Nope the hotsync button doesnt work at all i have to actually hit hotsync on the treo to get a sync going .. have had to since i got it .. but sync has always worked until today.
    yep - i've had this problem since early March (hovering my mouse over the hotsync icon - it shows Mar 10)

i've changed out cables -- i got my wife a t650 too

i've uninstalled/reinstalled, i've disabled in the DevMgr, I've "updated drivers" directly from the CD (it stays there until i hit hotsync, then it loses it again)

???

so -- if anybody figures this out - let us all know...
    This has happened to me too on my cradle. The connection is a bit finicky. I remove and reinsert the Treo 650 into the cradle, kinda jamming it in there (not hard enough to break it, but firmly). That has resolved the problem for me.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    Given most of us never had this issue (or this would be talked about lots more I'm sure) it may be a hardware issue that is not even related to the cable, but the computer's USB port.

For you folks having problems, have you tried other devices in the same USB port?
    for a while, pushing the cable in harder worked

then i thought I found a "sweet spot" by pivoting the connector up or down and holding it there for the duration of the hotsync

now - no combination works

i've run the usbregcleaner app that pa1mone recommends - i've followed all the other advice on their website, too.

and yes - i've used my wife's hotsync cable - i referred to that above
    I dont think its software related - I think its hardware related and a shaky connection of the cable. If pushing it harder worked, then it smells hardware related.

On my cradle I sometimes have to remove and reseat the cable that connects to the cradle, or even connect the cable directly into the Treo bypassing the cradle. It happens about once every 20 hotsyncs or so. A little bit annoying.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    if its HW then i think its the cable to the treo port - as if the treo port has been worn out so the contacts don't meet just right

???

but its weird that i keep getting the yellow exclamation or question mark in DevMgr...?

reloading drivers works until the next hotsync attempt

just weirdness....
    Try this on a different PC and see if the same problem persists....
    Since we now have PalmOne connectors instead of the old Handspring ones (for us T300, T600 upgraders...), does anybody know if users of other P1 handhelds have issues with their cables?
    okay - its hotsyncing right now on my wife's workstation

made a new acct on her PC at the prompt

now - where will my contacts be stored? I **really** hope i'm not injecting 460 of MY contacts into HER outlook system...

don't know what this proves - we still don't know if its the HW or SW on my PC that is the culprit
    but...

it *does* feel good to have that data backed up - all my eggs aren't in one basket

you know?
    quick question - she's got outlook on her desktop, what if I just set up a profile in XPhome over there

is it any problem if I hotsync to her machine AND my machine (eventually to my machine when we get this mess sorted out)?

If I'm not mistaken - and correct me if I'm wrong here - I first set up a profile in XP home on her PC, then set up my email acct in Outlook on her PC, then hotsync and when prompted tell it to use the Outlook conduit...

right?

(I said "no" when prompted just now)
    I've gad the same problem. I usually just try to connect the cable to the treo more firmly and try again.
    I have the exact same experience with syncing over the last couple weeks-It didn't start until I used the 1.08 upgrade-it was gradual like you described with much manipulation of the cable/connection, but I can't sync at all now. Did you use 1.08 also? this is crazy-
    no -- i do NOT have the upgrade - mainly because i have pix/vids on there that I didn't want to lose and i don't have the requisite 11M free

now that I've got the pix backup up, i'll move them to a safe place on the HD, clear them off the treo, get necessary room on the treo and do the upgrade.
    I guess it may be a coincidence that this happened to me after the upgrade, however this was discussed by others in another thread that had the same timing of this same problem (after the upgrade, it began). This is my second 650 since november-the phone portion died in feb and they replaced without question. I hate to ask Sprint any questions because the people on this forum know more about htis than they do
  19. ms8
    I had same problem... narrowed it down to the connector on the bottom of the treo.. Had to clean it up and it would sync fine... alternatively, plugging the cable in and out a few times would do the trick. I think the new connector picks up a layer of corrosion very quickly and causes a bad connection. I swapped my treo for a new one with palmone and have not had a problem since.
    okay - i think i've probably got a different problem than a dirty connector

above i posted that i could hotsync on my wife's computer

well, now NEITHER of our treos will hotsync to her computer

not hers

not mine

GREAT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast