1.    #1  
    anyone have experience with these two models to compare them?
    No experience. One's a brick, though.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    I know some folks have tried and liked the 6600 - I would just suggest that you give it an in depth trial of your own, and not make any decision based on the specs. Yes, it has EV-DO, and yes, it has a big nice screen (but less resolution than the 650), but man - that thing is pretty large, and the battery life...well, just make your own decision. Just don't get sucked in by what seems like a lot of cool features.
    The Treo has what I call 'design simplicity' - hard to quantify, and it doesn't show up on any brochure or list of features, but it really makes a difference in REAL USE of the product.Try them both for a few weeks and then make your own decision....
    To tell you the truth I wouldn't mind at all if the 650 was bigger...
    especially if it mean't putting the keyboard higher up on the unit (having some space below the keyboard would assist with one handed operation).

That's be really helpful to us guys with larger hands, it's really hard to hit some of those keys with a thumb and hang on to it... great keyboard though.

Please say something about your beefs with PalmOne at www.treo650update.com

Thanks!
    Nice hijack Tundy. (that was a compeletely non-relevant comment about posting beefs - there are no beefs in this thread)
    Tundy reminds me of those bad old days of TV's Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom (the Sunday afternoon wildlife show where that old guy, Marlin Perkins, was always traipsing around Africa getting in trouble). They would always transition into a plug for insurance with a line like:

"In the wild, the cheetah must be ever on guard to protect her young, and you too should protect yours with Mutual of Omaha life insurance...."

Sounds a lot like "I love Palm hardware, but post your beefs at..."
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    I actually tried and did use the 6600... or actually the Siemens variant of the same phone (SX66) for a few days when my T600 died (BUZZ of death), and thought hard about getting the T650, but was swayed to the SX66 for some of the features.

First off... VERY nice phone. Like the OS. Screen is great. Lot's of usability things were done right. Good screen. The Bluetooth on the SX66 was GREAT... far better than what I've experienced on the T650. On the downside was the fact that it is MUCH harder to use one handed than the T650 is. That is due to a combination of the slide out keyboard and some UI issues. I loved the WiFi and the speed of data even when not on WiFi. Empirically speaking, probably a better overall device than the T650.

All that being said, after keeping it a few days (nearly a week) I returned/exchanged it for a T650... almost entirely because of the one hand issue. I'm on the road a lot and it was too difficult. Funny thing is that even as I write this, I'm still somewhat questioning my decision. It was that close.

I really miss the WiFi and really excellent Bluetooth performance.

All that being said... I really like my T650 as well. Startup was a bit quirky, but was able to get it up and running OK. My biggest complaint is the Bluetooth... the headset is just not as clear as the old phone and it does bug me. The SX66 BT performance was pretty bulletproof... not so with the T650. And not having WiFi is a bummer. But for what I use the phone for 98% of the time, the T650 is easier and slightly better.

Hope this helps... but it probably confused you even more. If you have any questions, please feel free to PM or email me.
    Quote Originally Posted by tundycentral
    especially if it mean't putting the keyboard higher up on the unit (having some space below the keyboard would assist with one handed operation).

That's be really helpful to us guys with larger hands, it's really hard to hit some of those keys with a thumb and hang on to it... great keyboard though.

Thanks!
    Go away.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by rcyphermd
    anyone have experience with these two models to compare them?
    Actually, I owned the 6600 for over a month before going to the Treo 650. Here are my impressions.

Plus's:
    The 6600 came with alot of stuff, like a case, cradle etc.
    The unit itself has 128 MB ram so it is significantly larger than the T650.
    Bluetooth is fully enabled for every dogon profile that the Bluetooth spec describes. I could use this unit as a modem for my Apple Powerbook with no troubles whatsoever.

Negatives:
    I had lots of problems with the 6600 like lockups and crashes.
    I noticed that the outer case was not that durable, and where the keyboard slid out, the painted plastic was scraping off.
    Aside from that I personally had issues where the phone would go into a mode where it would oscilate between full signal and no signal where I could not make calls.
    Also the web browser appeared as IE to Sprint and apparently they use web compression to serve up requests to that browser type making all images appear really low quality.
    The caller ID app was a joke and would not work properly.

So I moved the the T650, applied the Sprint 1.08 patch and I could not be happier. This device actually syncs with Outlook 2003 better than the PocketPC device,(It syncs contact pictures). To me battery life is better on the Treo, and the screen is sooooo nice. This device and its OS Garnet has restored my faith in Palm Source and Palm One. For the longest time when they were going through the transition from 5.0 to 5.2 I was not too impressed with the the units they were coming out with, but this has turned it around for me. This is not to say that my experience with the T650 is perfect. I suffer from some of the crashes everyone else does, but on a whole I am very satisfied with the way the device works, and for me syncing is flawless. It even allows me to sync the address fields from Outlook and have them display in the order that I want on the Palm. Definitely a great thing for someone with OCD like me. The memory is a non issue to me since the 1.08 update. I find it to be plenty for my needs. Would I like 128 or 256, sure of course I would "I am a geek, GOSH!"

If I had to give advice, I would say avoid the 6600 at least until they get the ROM issues worked out. Now I don't want to come off as a pocket pc hater, because I am not, I have owned 1 of each generation of Wince devices since WinCE1.0 and likwise I have owned one of every generation of palm devices since their very first device. THey both have their strengths and weaknesses, but in this case it is just an overall quality and functionality issue that makes me go with the Treo. Funny since the Treo and the 6600 are made at the same factory HTC. Now if Palm/Sprint releases another ROM update re-enabling Bluetooth, well I will be as happy as a dog with 2... Well you get the point without my graphic anecdotes. I just hope that PalmOne does not dump the Palm OS for future devices. I really like the maturity of the OS with Garnet. And if Cobalt releases, that looks and sounds to be great also.
    bit_bucket
    Quote Originally Posted by woojink
    I actually tried and did use the 6600... or actually the Siemens variant of the same phone (SX66) for a few days when my T600 died (BUZZ of death), and thought hard about getting the T650, but was swayed to the SX66 for some of the features.

First off... VERY nice phone. Like the OS. Screen is great. Lot's of usability things were done right. Good screen. The Bluetooth on the SX66 was GREAT... far better than what I've experienced on the T650. On the downside was the fact that it is MUCH harder to use one handed than the T650 is. That is due to a combination of the slide out keyboard and some UI issues. I loved the WiFi and the speed of data even when not on WiFi. Empirically speaking, probably a better overall device than the T650.

All that being said, after keeping it a few days (nearly a week) I returned/exchanged it for a T650... almost entirely because of the one hand issue. I'm on the road a lot and it was too difficult. Funny thing is that even as I write this, I'm still somewhat questioning my decision. It was that close.

I really miss the WiFi and really excellent Bluetooth performance.

All that being said... I really like my T650 as well. Startup was a bit quirky, but was able to get it up and running OK. My biggest complaint is the Bluetooth... the headset is just not as clear as the old phone and it does bug me. The SX66 BT performance was pretty bulletproof... not so with the T650. And not having WiFi is a bummer. But for what I use the phone for 98% of the time, the T650 is easier and slightly better.

Hope this helps... but it probably confused you even more. If you have any questions, please feel free to PM or email me.
    I was looking at the SX66. Thanks for the info! I want them both so here's my excuse. I need a 2nd line, even though in reality I could put them on the same phone, LOL!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Ask yourself:

If you want a phone and a PDA, go with the treo 650.

If you want a PDA and a phone, go with the 6600.

It's that simple. I have both, and I use the 650 as my main phone and the 6600 as a pocket computer....hence pocket pc. Mapopolis is amazing on the 6600.

Side note....you buy maps for your treo and then migrate to a pocket pc. Just change the file extension of the maps from .pdb to .mlp
    So you're saying the PPC phone function is somewhat lacking?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by tundycentral

Thanks!
    Ahh, fat finger syndrome. Go on a diet. I'm 6'4" with very large hands and have no problems.