Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I bought my mac mini on Sunday. Anyone know the upgrade policy?
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    I bought my mac mini on Sunday. Anyone know the upgrade policy?
    Click Me

I know it's probably not what you wanted to hear...
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    thanks...Best Buy is going to do a "ghost exchange" for me. Return my purchase and do a re-purchase without the receipt. That way I qualify for the upgrade.
    Tiger, woo woo!

Am I crazy or did I see that .Mac members could pre-order Tiger for $69?! If I got that right (might have deleted that email), then it makes sense to join .Mac at the new discount price (also $69) just for the Tiger discount. So I figure, anyway.
    -mbd26
    Quote Originally Posted by mbd26
    Tiger, woo woo!

Am I crazy or did I see that .Mac members could pre-order Tiger for $69?! If I got that right (might have deleted that email), then it makes sense to join .Mac at the new discount price (also $69) just for the Tiger discount. So I figure, anyway.
    Was that in an email message? So, i wonder if i can sign up for the free .mac trial, get the cheap OSX upgrade, and then cancel?

I wouldn't do that. I've been thinking of signing up anyways. And if I can sign up AND get Tiger for about the price of just the OSX upgrade itself...may be worth it.

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    From O'Grady's PowerPage (www.powerpage.org):

Apple is offering their Mac OS X Up-To-Date upgrade program to Mac OS X v10.4 "Tiger" for US$9.95. If you purchase a qualifying new Macintosh on or after April 12th, 2005 that does not have Mac OS X v10.4 "Tiger" included, you can upgrade to Tiger for US$9.95. The program ends on July 22nd 2005 and your order must be postmarked or faxed by July 9th 2005.
    -mbd26
  8.    #8  
    Well, no one has marveled over any of the new features as they apply to Treo users so I will rattle off some stuff.

One of the coolest things is the ability to just push one button for Personal Web Sharing. This will let you do things like serving out your own web site, or sharing files online, or easily access your home directory or personal folders from any access point.

iCal now automatically builds a Birthday Calendar based on birthday entries in Address Book. This small improvement really doesn’t do much to move iCal from the list of Apple’s worst ever applications (but darn it, it is easy to view what you have going on). There is one other small feature that is kind of nice and is just one more, small step that will serve to keep me from moving to some other PIM. This small feature within iCal provides a centralized notification box that keeps all your invitations and responses in one easy-to-access location so you can manage events right inside iCal. You don’t have to venture out into other apps like Mail or whatever. The iCal Dock icon even alerts you to new attendee responses.

I guess iCal does have new printing features like the “list layout” which displays your events and To Dos in a compact, chronological list. The printing features just generally give you more flexibility overall.

About the only improvement to iSync is the ability to transfer the picture from your Mac OS X Address Book to the phone, along with regular contact information. At this point though, there is no software that actually performs this but the ability to do it is there. Someone just has to right the code to make it happen (shhhh… did someone say Mark/Space). Still no support for transferring secondary addresses or the event location field. Grrrrr. What this means to me is that they have not yet incorporated the popular syncML protocol. At one time, I was informed that this was happening but it seems now that it was apparently just a rumor. Am I wrong here? Anybody know for sure if they chose to forego syncML?

Address Book now supports the LDAP server-based contacts directory. This is nice for mobility purposes and for access to Microsoft's LDAP directory service that so many companies are tied to. Printing capabilities here are much improved too. You can print custom labels and envelopes from within Address Book AND even print a handy pocket address book to throw in your glovecompartment for those rare occasions when you forgot to bring your Treo along for the ride.

Hmmmm... what else. You can easily set up VPN on demand for easy secure access from your Treo.

That's about all I can think of right now.
    Last edited by archie; 04/14/2005 at 10:19 PM.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by mbd26
    Tiger, woo woo!

No, I just checked the Tiger promotion e-mail and the page it takes you to only has the $129 option.

But the other e-mail message says this:

Anyone who purchases a .Mac box by May 23, 2005 through the online Apple Store, an Apple retail store or participating resellers will save $30 off the regular retail price.

Amazon is selling it for $79. Take off that $30 credit from Apple and you have a one-year subscription for $49. I wish I could do that but my renewal isn't until September.

*shameless request to follow*

If anyone wants to PM me their name and an e-mail address that I can forward to Apple for a referal, they will give me a 20% discount on my next years subscription though. You will then get an e-mail from them letting you know of all the details and benefits that come with .Mac like the multiple e-mail accounts, file sharing (between Macs and PCs), storage, web publishing... blah, blah, blah.
  10.    #10  
    Here are some more cool Tiger features that directly or indirectly relate to the use of a Treo.

You can view upcoming Calendar appointments(PIM) directly from the date and time system menu in the upper right corner.

Automator will simplify the process of creating and managing events in iCal (there are complete sets of prebuilt Automator actions included for this already). The use and power of Automator actually applies to pretty much every Mac application.

You can drag a contact from Address Book directly onto iCal to have it automatically generate an appointment with that person.

iSync is supposedly faster, simpler and has an extensible architecture that lets developers tap into the Sync engine.

Safari 2.0 now lets you export bookmarks, soooo... you could utilize these on your Treo's browser.

Apple Remote Desktop 2.1 Client is now integrated into Mac OS X Tiger. This lets you manage multiple Mac desktops visually AND you can even do this right from your Treo by establishing a connection from your Treo using something like PalmVNC.

Use the system level power of Core Image to automatically adjust colors, exposure and more as photos are transferred/synced from the Treo to the Mac. This could be facilitated by actions built by Automator.

You can stay connected to a VPN server when switching Mac OS X user accounts or logging out, and even direct all network traffic through the VPN connection. This could be handy if someone is already logged in (or wants to log in) while you are wanting to get work done on that same Mac while on the road using your Treo. I am not 100% certain this feature has been extended to this extent because I have not tried it, but based on the description, it does sound possible.

The Image Capture utility lets you wirelessly import images from next-generation digital cameras via WiFi or camera-equipped cellphones via Bluetooth... oh wait, never mind. I forgot Palm doesn't let the Mac initiate connection to any of their devices. You can only connect from the Treo... so this feature doesn't really count. You could intiate the connection if you were on a Windows machine though... 'course Windows XP doesn't have this feature sooooo, nevermind.
    I want a Mac bad... PC guy my whole life, but took Unix and have been jonesin' for a machine to tinker with...gotta convince the wife.
    Quote Originally Posted by mattyparanoid
    I want a Mac bad... PC guy my whole life, but took Unix and have been jonesin' for a machine to tinker with...gotta convince the wife.
    You know what they say, "Once you go Mac..."

archie: SyncML (and the addressbook photo sync) has been available for some time (10.3), but I've only seen it on my Nokia series 60 phone :-(. No word on treo picture synchronization.

Insertion: That "Once you go Mac.." phrase has new meaning with that photo you have on the left!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    You know what they say, "Once you go Mac..."
    Yeah, I know it...played around with a few at my friends house recently, she has two and I was quite intrigued...not sure if I think different enough though...

BTW, Ranger huh? Hauled a bunch of you around out of Stuutgart over the past few years...Even taught a class once to a bunch of Rangers on how to effectively destroy the plane in the event of ditching. AF guy here, former AFSOC, now just a trash hauler....miss watching you load and offload all kinds of stuff in the back of the 130...

...Cheers
    Ahhh...flyboy! Yeah, I was in from 84-93.

People reading your post are probably laughing, but yes, there is a proper way to destroy things like that.

Oh yeah, Tiger comes out in 13 days (gotta stay on topic! )

16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by [ls]
    archie: SyncML (and the addressbook photo sync) has been available for some time (10.3), but I've only seen it on my Nokia series 60 phone :-(. No word on treo picture synchronization.
    If this is the case, you wouldn't have to wait around everytime Nokia introduced a new phone. Instead; as it is now, you have to wait for Apple to release a new version of iSync everytime a new phone comes out. Why is this? It is because it does not use syncML. If it did, the compatabilty with new phone would be automatic. Apple, in essence, has to make iSync act as a psuedo syncML server to communicate with your Nokia phone. More trouble than it's worth in my opinion when they can make it easier on themselves and just start using syncML. But, this is just my understanding. I might be wrong.

In regards to the Mac OS X Address Book photo sync, you're telling me these photos get transported back and forth automatically? You don't have to take a picture or something on your camera and then assign that photo manually? I am pretty sure that iSync does not send this bit of information back and forth, nor does The Missing Sync (or Palm Desktop for that matter).

Tell me more.
    Last edited by archie; 04/16/2005 at 06:29 PM.
    "Originally Posted by mbd26
    Tiger, woo woo!
    Am I crazy or did I see that .Mac members could pre-order Tiger for $69?! "

Not .mac....but that IS the education price, so likely that is what you saw. The education discounts are usually nothing to get excited about, but for the operating system upgrades the discount is great.
    Global Posts
    577 Global Posts
    Got mine pre-ordered. Can't wait... I'm really looking forward to widgets
    I'm really excited about the new release. I will be out of the country around the release so I'll have to wait a couple of weeks before I install it. I have come to depend heavily on MissingSync and am hope that Tiger doesn't break it.
  20.    #20  
    Excited is an understatement here. I can't believe how far out ahead this stuff is compared to anything else. For instance, Spotlight is not the main reason I bought this; BUT, it is simply blowing me away. Really powerful. And its extensibility is truely incredible and very promising. Say for example, you made a recording of that over-the-phone interview with Fallon McElligott in New York, and separate audio tracks are recorded for each participant. Imagine, in the not to distant future, being able to add a plug-in to allow your computer to transcribe each voice track and store it as ancillary content on the recording. This content is of course then indexed by Spotlight for you. Then at any time, you can type in a couple keywords like "interview with Fallon McElligott" into Spotlight, and it'll take you right to the audio bit of which you recorded while talking to Susie in Human Resources. Handy say maybe for analyzing how you did and what you would change for the next interview you may possibly get.

Well, that's one example that may be of appropriate interest to people hear at Treo Central.

Anyway, yeah... Tiger is VERY COOL!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast