1.    #1  
    why is it that pocket pc techs can upgrade the imate jam to 128k while we are stuck at 23k.

what's so different?
    Maybe is because WindowsMobile is such a dog that it can't run on 23MB (not K)
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    It should still have a bare minimum of 128k though ZB, I'm sure you agree with him/her.

Especially with this new form of memory.

It's the only hardware issue beef I have with PalmOne, the rest of the hardware is fantastic.

Please say something about it at www.treo650update.com

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by tundycentral
    It should still have a bare minimum of 128k though ZB, I'm sure you agree with him/her.
    No, not really. 23MB works for me just fine, and it works for most people who are not running a ton of apps or apps with really high memory requirements. If you are going to be running databases and email archives on your device, then a converged phone is perhaps not your best choice yet. A T5 may be more to your liking, paired with a bluetooth phone.
    Cingular Treo 650
  5.    #5  
    Maybe if we bombard "Pocket PC Tech" with requests for them to do these Upgrades they will start doing it. They don't charge so much to upgrade the Jam. There must be a market as treo users must outnumber jam users substantially. When they see there is money to be made hopefully things will fall into place.
    As a former PPC user (latest was Dell x50v) the 128mb is often 64mb ram and 64mb of a ram disk equivalent. Since PPC does handle running programs from extra memory better, it "looks" like 128mb of user system memory. That seems to be the shortfall with Palm's implementation of memory use (SD or otherwise); it is not near as easy without having to resort to powerrun or zlauncher type solutions. That said, I don't think the NVFS architecture is going to permit bolting on a larger memory chip like they do with PPC units.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by ZBoater
    No, not really. 23MB works for me just fine, and it works for most people who are not running a ton of apps or apps with really high memory requirements. If you are going to be running databases and email archives on your device, then a converged phone is perhaps not your best choice yet. A T5 may be more to your liking, paired with a bluetooth phone.
    Zboater,

I have looked at your list of installed apps. What are you using to watch a movie? I don't see such an application in your list.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by menachh
    Zboater,

I have looked at your list of installed apps. What are you using to watch a movie? I don't see such an application in your list.

Thanks
    Nope, I dont watch movies on my Treo. I had a T3 and used Kinoma player, and found it interesting but useless. With a converged device (phone), using up the battery watching a movie on that tiny little screen is a non-starter for me. The same applies to listening to MP3s. I have PocketTunes since I owned from before, and I have about 300MB of MP3s on the SD card, but PocketTunes is the first app to come off if I need more memory. I just felt I had to prioritize my use, and the phone function is too critical to compromise stability or battery life for watching movies or listening to music. This, of course, if a very personal decision I made.
    Cingular Treo 650
  9.    #9  
    See how everything is revolving around memory. The main reason I got a treo is so I shouldn't have to carry a phone/ipod/blackberry/movie player. That is the point of a true converged device.
    Quote Originally Posted by menachh
    See how everything is revolving around memory. The main reason I got a treo is so I shouldn't have to carry a phone/ipod/blackberry/movie player. That is the point of a true converged device.
    I think the convergence they were referring to was phone/pda. It would be great to have an all in one do it all device, but the fact is no do-it-all device is ever going to excel at anything. I have a 10" portable DVD player to watch movies because I wouldnt want to watch movies on that tiny little screen. I have a 40GB iPod because I carry around my entire collection of music with me (around 10GB), and there is no Palm or PPC device with that kind of storage yet.

The Treo 650 is supposed to be a "smartphone" - a convergence of voice and PDA capabilities. The device you are looking for doesn't exist yet. If you bought the treo for that reason, you either did not read the specifications sheet carefully or you misunderstood the concept of convergence.

http://news.com.com/2100-1040-246259.html?legacy=cnet

This is an article from 2000. Notice what they are talking about converged devices is EXACTLY what the Treo is today. A quote from the article:

"We do, however, believe that over time cell phones will become "smarter," with more PDA-like functionality. Within two years a single device will evolve that meets the needs of most people for an advanced cell phone, PDA and pager, with integrated services. This device will allow people to keep track of their schedules, to-do lists and address books; to get pages and emails; and to take notes and create emails either by writing on the screen or using an attachable keyboard, much as they can on today's Palm.

They will be able to tap a phone number in the address book to dial it on the cell phone (possibly even employ low-end voice recognition technology) and use the same cellular connection for wireless email and limited connections to the Internet and corporate data, much as they can today with the Palm VII. "
    Cingular Treo 650
  11.    #11  
    Convergence has moved on since 2000. The standerds you mentioned were met with the treo 270 and today almost any LG cellphone. All the devices you carry will be a pain to lug in the summer. Obviously the pull of a highher resolution screen was to watch videos. The screen is at least as big as the old Sony pocket TV. What I was looking for in a treo was ipaq functionaliity with a phone. I am finding that the memory is the limitation. I had more free memory in my old 64mb ipaq than I started out with on the treo. I like to save web pages for later instant access and the constant memory watch is a pain. Also as memory decreases your ability to open large word documents will decrease, Clearly palm has made a mistake with the small amount of memory, speak to any goodlink user. It reminds me of the DOS days and the 640k limit.
    Can the Treo 650 use more memory? Sure it can. There never is enough memory. I have 2GB of RAM on my PC and I could use 4. However, the fact still remains that the 650 will do all those things, perhaps not all at once. You can run a media player or an MP3 player and have 50 1GB SD cards full of movies and songs, along with a stack of batteries or a chair next to a power outlet. You can also handle presentations and word documents and spreadsheets. But when you try to do all those things and more all at once the 23MB does seem cramped. The question is how many people actually want to do all those things at the same time? The market for "power users" is just not there, it is not a technical decision, it is a marketing/financial decision. That is when an "all-in-one" device starts to fail, and where specialzed devices offer what you are looking for.

My "perfect" device would have a larger high res color screen, WinXP OS (no PalmOS or Windows Mobile), 2GB of RAM, 500 GB disk space, WiFi, USB 2.0, Bluetooth 2.0, GSM radio/phone, 3.5 mm adapter with high fidelity audio, etc. etc. etc. I want it thinner than the 650 and less that $700. Something like a cross between a Sony PSP, an iPod and a Treo650 on steroids.

Something like this http://www.flipstartpc.com/
    Someday...
    Last edited by ZBoater; 04/12/2005 at 04:13 PM.
    Cingular Treo 650
  13.    #13  
    I'll settle for an extra 64mb even 32mb for now. A market must be there because many "jam" users are upgrading theirs. The question is can it be done technically and for a reasonable price.