1.    #1  
    Hello all

I was wondering if there was a way to get my Treo 600 on Bell to connect via Bell's WAP gateway. I have the gateway IP and port, and no user name/password is required. The reason why I want to do this is because their WAP service has a more affordable unlimited use package which I was using with a cell phone. Now that I've gone to Treo, they're billing me for packet data on their 1X network for the Treo's data. Since speed really isn't a concern of mine, I was wondering if there's a way to get the Treo to connect via WAP and NOT send packet data.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    WAP is just a protocol. It still needs some method of connectivity.

Those methods are 2.5g packet data (GPRS/EDGE and 1xRTT respectively), and 2G circuit-switched data. (no names, but included in both the GSM and cdmaOne standards)

Your old phone probably used CSD. The Treo supports CSD data, but most providers seem to have obsolted CSD data for any phone that supports 2.5G packet data. I know attempting to use Verizon's QNC service for CSD data boots me to their 1X network.

Your provider will probably not give you the old unlimited use package with your new phone.

Your best bet is CSD data with an external internet service provider (I use my father's Earthlink account because he only uses it when on business trips). Set up a new connection in Prefs->Network, choose "Virtual Modem", and put in the phone number, username, and password of whatever dialup ISP you might have a subscription to. If you don't have one, do a search for budget prepaid ISPs such as budgetdialup.com in the U.S.

It won't be unlimited (usage will come out of your voice minutes), but it will be a LOT cheaper than any 1X data plan for light usage.