1.    #1  
    hey, folks.

could anyone here give me some instructions as to how to install the flip/clamshell on my treo 300? i bought one on ebay and it apparently doesnt open all the way when i flip it open, thereby disabling the digitizer and key pad, even though the phone is open. when i press the clamshell further back though, it works fine.

it really sucks, and since i'm not protected against this (friggin' ebay) i wanna try to fix it before getting it serviced, or going into a dispute with the ebay seller.

any help/links/pointers would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    I'm not sure what you mean by the flip doesn't open all the way (a spring in the flip will keep it opened).

The flip doesn't control/disable the keyboard or digitizer. They will work whether the flip is open or not. There is a magnet in the flip, when fully closed the Treo can detect the magnet and knows to turn off the display. Likewise, when it doesn't detect the magnet it turns on the screen and activates the phone app (this happens when you barely open the flip).

If the digitzer and keyboard are disabled until you push on the clamshell possibly there is a loose connection (or possibly the case is pinching the digitizer).

There are some internal photos here if you feel like taking it apart to investigate: http://dan.nyip.net/pchaos/viewcat.php?id=20 (it's very easy to open).
    If you mean that the phone doesn't work when it is open unless you push back on the open clamshell lid, then it probably means that one of the two wires that go from the lid to the body through the left hinge has failed. (I mean "left" when the phone is face-up; i.e., the wires run through the hinge that is farthest from the antenna.)

Those wires often fail, esp. if the phone gets opened and closed very frequently. (Try to get into the habit of hanging up by pressing the on-screen button between calls when making back-to-back calls, rather than by closing and reopening the lid.)

It that is what's wrong, it is possible but difficult to repair the phone: you must open up both the lid and the body of the phone, and replace the wires. (Someone once had a web page with a nice, illustrated tutorial on how he did that to his phone, but I can't seem to find it now.)

Better: IF the phone was advertised as working properly, and IF you used a credit card (even with PayPal) when you bought the phone on eBay, then just return the phone to the seller for a refund:

First, save a copy of the auction listing (which shows that the phone was advertised as working propery). Then just tell the seller that the phone is defective and you need to return it. If he says "no," then dispute the credit card charge with your bank. If you used PayPal, then go ahead and first ask them for the refund; if they refuse, or if they give you only a partial refund, then dispute the remainder of the amount of the credit card charge with the bank that issued your credit card.

PayPal is a pack of thieves, but if you pay with a credit card (NOT a debt card, NOT an instant funds transfer, NOT an electonic check!) then you have leverage and you will probably win this tug-of-war.

-Dave
    dave283 at burtonsys.com
    Quote Originally Posted by ncdave
    (clip)

It that is what's wrong, it is possible but difficult to repair the phone: you must open up both the lid and the body of the phone, and replace the wires. (Someone once had a web page with a nice, illustrated tutorial on how he did that to his phone, but I can't seem to find it now.)

(clip)
    -Dave
    dave283 at burtonsys.com
    For anyone like myself that is doing some work on his/her old Treo and wants to replace/repair the speaker wires or the magnet... I think this may be the site NCDAVE was talking about...

http://www.geektimes.com/michael/tec...eaker/fix.html