Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Weird, as I plugged the AC adapter into my UPS system, it started making weird hissing/hum noise. Pulled it out and plugged it into another socket, still noise. Hmmm...

The light on the front of the cradle is blue and it's really bright. REALLY bright. I put the cradle up on a shelf on my desk so that I could see the Treo 650 better. Well, that blue LED is so bright it's hard to stare at the 650! Seriously.

At an angle its not too bad, but look at it head on and your eyes will be seeing spots from the bright led.

Another problem is that the included cables are very short.

Still trying to figure out how to make it sync!
    You'll probably have to go into the sync on the Treo and manually sync it. Just a guess...seeing as how you said it doesn't have a button.
    --> Me fail english? That's unpossible!! <--
    Quote Originally Posted by dcsipe
    You'll probably have to go into the sync on the Treo and manually sync it. Just a guess...seeing as how you said it doesn't have a button.
    I had gone into the HotSync app and I was staring at it for quite some time trying to figure out how to get it to do a manual sync. It had been so long since I needed to do it, I had no idea.

Well, I finally figured it out. You just press the "HotSync" icon in the middle of the screen and that starts the manual HotSync.

Works perfectly!

Also, the cradle's power source is just a regular AC adapter, it is NOT a Treo 650 power cable.

If you can live with all of the conditions that I've posted, I think it's a good buy for $14.99 on eBay!! Beats the hell out of paying $80 for a PalmOne cradle.
    I think these would serve well as extras to keep the 650 charged all the time. I plan on keeping one on my nightstand, since my PC is in another room.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ZBoater
    I think these would serve well as extras to keep the 650 charged all the time. I plan on keeping one on my nightstand, since my PC is in another room.
    You might want to consider a piece of electrical tape to go over the blue light, if you want this to go anywhere near your bed while you are sleeping.

I'll test my second cradle tonight and see what it's like in the dark.
    You still have the hissing/humming sound? For some reason that just doesn't sound good to me.

I'd be interested to see a test over time on how these generic cradles effect your battery life.

Hey Crowza, would you mind throwing a few pictures of the Treo in the cradle on here? I wouldn't mind checking it out.
    Here are some pics..

http://www.crowza.com/image/temp/cradle.jpg

Of course that pic does nothing to show how bright the LED is, so I took another (a little more head on with the light).

http://www.crowza.com/image/temp/blue_light.jpg

Let me know if you need more!
    ARgh! Can't...see...blinding....light...

Thanks for the pics. I may have to try one of these out and see what the dealio is.
    I will be picking up one for my office definently better then the power cord that came with the phone...
    The only time I ever made a mistake was when i thought I did and was mistaken.
    Quote Originally Posted by dcsipe
    ARgh! Can't...see...blinding....light...

Thanks for the pics. I may have to try one of these out and see what the dealio is.
    Honestly, after playing around with it for awhile, it serves my purposes perfectly (I just need something to get my Treo 650 off my desk and standing upright). Plus, you can't beat the price!

I'll try the other one out in my home setting and post anything else I find out about it.

So far though, I'm very happy!

BTW - The humming has now stopped. Don't know what happened, but everything seems fine now. I've hotsynced it several times and I've tested out my bluetooth headset with it and everything works fine.
    crowza, thanks for your thorough comments thus far on this cradle and the pictures as well. i can't wait to get mine and try it out!
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowza
    You might want to consider a piece of electrical tape to go over the blue light, if you want this to go anywhere near your bed while you are sleeping.

Yeah, no kidding. My wife already has a towel over our HP multifunction that is in the bedroom. This blue light looks like its going to light up the whole room!!!!
    Cingular Treo 650
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Hope no one has a seizure after looking at the bright blue light....
    "When Palm announced today that its new smartphone would run an operating system from Microsoft, it was the equivalent of Coca-Cola agreeing to fill its bottles with Pepsi." ~David M. Ewalt, Forbes Magazine
    ----------------------------------------------------
    My Phone history.....
    Other problem is that it stands the Treo straight up, not at an angle, which is kinda weird.

Other than that though, the 650 fits very snug into the cradle. More impressions as soon as I figure out how to hotsync it.
    Thanks Crowza. Ordered mine on Tues. Too anxious here. Anticipating the arrival of mine, I was wondering your thoughts on slightly altering the cradle base somehow to give us a slight angle.
    Last edited by TheLiveSoundGuy; 04/15/2005 at 02:43 PM. Reason: typo
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLiveSoundGuy
    Thanks Crowza. Ordered mine on Tues. Too anxious here. Anticipating the arrival of mine, I was wondering your thoughts on slightly altering the cradle base somehow to give us a slight angle.
    I'd say sticking something under the front of the cradle, just enough to angle it would probably work well.

It's actually slightly angled. Just not nearly as much as my Treo 600's cradle was... I simply repositioned mine so that it sits on a shelf of my desk (which is about six inches off the desk). I can read the screen perfectly.

Well, except for that damn blue glow! Also, I found out that if it is plugged into a powered USB source, the light is slightly brighter... If it's not plugged into a USB source, the light does not glow at all.

Okay, I've just stuck my Treo Wireless Headset in front of the LED, which seems to work well! Problem solved.
    I just received one of these today as well. The whole thing is a bit top heavy when the Treo is sitting in it. So much so that it tipped over on me when I bumped the corner of the desk leaving the room.

The blue light is annoying as well. I hope to find some time this weekend to pop open the cradle to see about adding my own hotsync button. While I've go the hood up, I'll see about replacing the LED or coming up with a way to add a resistor to dim it a little bit.

I was hoping to be able to use this in the car somehow, but I don't think it's going to work. The Treo only sits about an inch into the cradle so there isn't much support other than the physical link to the connector.

The other interesting thing is the label on the bottom. It reads:
    CRADLE For PDA
    - Input Power: AC Power/PC USB Port
    - Power Protection Circuit included
    - LED Power indicator
    - Eguiped w/AC Power for fast-charging
    (that isn't MY spelling error... that's exactly how it reads)

Based on the label, it would seem that the cradle will power the Treo even without the AC adapter, though mine doesn't indicate that it's charging. Since my battery is fully charged at the moment, I'll need to test this again to see if it really does get power from the USB connection.

For the price, it's not a bad option, and seems to do the job. The lack of a sync button could be a drawback to some.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    Mine arrived today! Awesome. Simply Awesome. All I can say is you can pay $30, $50, $80, all day long. But Why? This cradle is an incredible buy at $15 bucks!
    Very comfortable transaction all the way through. I will definetly buy from this guy again should the need arise. Thank You.

I was pleasently surprised. The angle is actually perfect. (I think)
    Functionality wise, it works flawlessly.
    The blue light is extremly bright, but at least lets me know there is a data connection.

Bottom Line...5 Stars
    Last edited by TheLiveSoundGuy; 04/16/2005 at 12:31 PM. Reason: typo
    I know how to do a hot sync from the Treo 650. Can you initiate a hot sync grom the computer? I haven't figured how to start the hot sync from the computer.
    Here's how I fixed my blue light problem.

Take an old fashioned clear BIC Stick ink pen. Remove the cap.
    (Any color can be used but a BLACK pen matches the cradle.)

Notice hole in cap at the narrowed end.
    With a good sharp knife, snip the tip approx. 1/8" - 1/16" (depending on how far your led sticks out.)

Slip the little tip over the LED.

Sort of a sheild or guard if you will. You may need to use a little super glue to hold in place. Simple tension is holding mine.

Cuts glare perfectly, yet stills allows the light to be seen.
    Last edited by TheLiveSoundGuy; 04/16/2005 at 03:16 PM. Reason: added info

Just got mine, and my blue LED doesnt come on at all. Does it come on when the USB cable is connected? Its charging fine. The red LED on the charger is on, but the blue LED on the cradle doesnt, which works great for me since I want to keep it in my room to charge my Treo at night but not have it connected to any PC.
    Cingular Treo 650
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast