Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I guess I'm a little confused here. There are a lot of threads here about chatter email and snappermail. If I'm using the included versamail program with gmail and comcast accounts, is there a reason to look into either of these programs? Is it mainly looks or ease of use? I can use versamail to automatically check my gmail and comcast accounts once an hour. Am I missing something here or do some people just have money to burn?
    well...if you like losing data randomly, keep versamail. if you like resets all the time, use versamail. just my opinions, as these things have happened to me.

I tried snapper mail and found chatter to be better. I needed something that was 'always on' and chatter offers this option perfectly.
    The other reason is that if you want IMAP (which means your instantly notified of new email instead of waiting for an hour) then Chatter is the choice because it runs in the background and you can have your email 'pushed'.

Like Ashworth pointed out...some 650 users have had issues with versamail (and that is one of the reasons why shadowmite made a custom rom that didnt include it.)
  4.    #4  
    Well, I've only had my phone for 1 week now but I haven't had any problems...yet. Also, versamail can check email every 5 minutes also but I think that uses more battery right? Does the Push method use more battery if you receive email instantly? Doesn't require being online I guess, kind of like getting text messages?
    I use SnapperMail. With all e-mail clients, you don't have to be online to view your e-mails once they have been downloaded from the server. Plus, Snapper (and similar programs) saves time and it makes a great organizational tool. With Snapper, you can also save your e-mails to a Secure Digital Card, freeing up precious Palm OS space. I could not live without Snapper now!
    ###
    If Versamail works for you, then spend the money on BackupBuddyVFS instead, so you can restore your mail files when they get trashed.

Seriously, crashes aside (and yes, Chatter has been known to lose mails and folders, too), it comes down to personal choice. There were some aspects of the Versamail UI that I liked, but it wasn't flexible enough for what I needed. I installed the trial versions of Chatter and Snapper, and will probably settle with Snapper when the trials expire in the next week or so.

If you set each of them up correctly, you can run all three beside each other and form your own opinion.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    I used to have the same feelings about Versamail..."It works so well...why use anything else?" Then suddenly the crashes came, the lockups came, the lost emails were gone, emails never showed, they weren't pushed, etc. Maybe it just takes some time to break in before it falls apart. I now use Snappermail and am loving it.
    The only thing that separates the men from the boys...is the lessons they learn.
    www.planetmills.com
    I've been a confirmed Snappermail user since early in the TReo 600 cycle (mostly because there really was no alternative back then). Versamail hasn't lost any mail in my few tries with it, but I wanted to use MS Activesync, and it just wouldn't upload calendar changes to the server regularly - would work for a few days and then quit updating (download only). Chattermail would be great IF I could get it to send out email (again through our office Exchange Server). On the download side, I'd get my mail on my phone a few seconds to minutes BEFORE it came in my Inbox - really cool - but I just couldn't get SMTP to work with our server.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    I think all in all it's just a personal preference thing. Versamail consistantly craps out and I have to delete the config files and start from scratch.

Just like the contacts and datebook. I prefer to have the deep functionality available from third party apps. I use snappermail, Agendus Pro (contacts/datebook)... You just have to find what works for you.
    Chattermail has a lot more features not the least of which is always on .. a mail comes into your imap account and its on your treo within seconds .. no sync every hour crap its there instantly. Not to mention chatters support is second to none.
    Email is a very personal thing. There are some features, like push email with IMAP that Chatter does that the other's dont, but aside from features like that it boils down to user interface, stability and ease of use. If Versamail is working for you, and you don't need any of the features it lacks, then by all means use it.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ashworth102680
    well...if you like losing data randomly, keep versamail. if you like resets all the time, use versamail. just my opinions, as these things have happened to me.

I tried snapper mail and found chatter to be better. I needed something that was 'always on' and chatter offers this option perfectly.
    See, I've been using Snapper for over a year. I like it, and it works, but I had to move it to the SD card. It was taking up too much memory. I also don't like the fact that Snapper needs to be re-registered every time I have a reset (hard). Still, this last reset I decided to try Versamail since it's just sitting there. So far, so good. Neither Snapper nor Versa will automatically sync on my Treo. They fail every time . Snapper support says this is a known issue with some 650's. I could go get it exchanged, but I'm a casual emailer at best, so it really doesn't bug me. The one feature that did attract me to Versamail was the ability to delete emails from the server when I delete them on the handheld, but that's not working, so I don't know. I guess it really does boil down to preference. If the "deleting from server" function worked on Versamail, I would definitely stay with it. Anyone gotten that to work (with Versamail or Snapper, I don't see that option in Snapper, but maybe I'm missing something)?
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    I was reading in the Palm KB that in Versamail, you have to empty the trash after you delete the email for it to be deleted in the server. It will then ask you if you want to save time and sync the changes with your server now. Have you tried that?
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by xspot
    I guess I'm a little confused here. There are a lot of threads here about chatter email and snappermail. If I'm using the included versamail program with gmail and comcast accounts, is there a reason to look into either of these programs? Is it mainly looks or ease of use? I can use versamail to automatically check my gmail and comcast accounts once an hour. Am I missing something here or do some people just have money to burn?
    your truly saying versamail works with gmail for you? I tried everything. since I bought snapper not one single problem.
    Nope. Trying now. Thanks.
    It'll be fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZBoater
    I was reading in the Palm KB that in Versamail, you have to empty the trash after you delete the email for it to be deleted in the server. It will then ask you if you want to save time and sync the changes with your server now. Have you tried that?
    Worked like a CHAMP!!! you da MAN Zboater!!! Thanks so much!
    It'll be fun.
    Ok, for my money, there is now OFFICIALLY no reason to buy an email program whatsoever.*

*The author of this post reserves the right to change any and all opinions stated herein IMMEDIATELY after any reset determined to be caused by Versamail
    or
    after he has used it for more than a week.
    It'll be fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    ... the "deleting from server" function worked on Versamail, I would definitely stay with it. Anyone gotten that to work (with Versamail or Snapper, I don't see that option in Snapper, but maybe I'm missing something)?
    Have it working in Snapper... In the individual email options on the "Rules" tab - clicked on [More Rules...] button, then selected "when moved to trash".
    Have also used the "when fully retreived" setting with success as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    Ok, for my money, there is now OFFICIALLY no reason to buy an email program whatsoever.*

*The author of this post reserves the right to change any and all opinions stated herein IMMEDIATELY after any reset determined to be caused by Versamail
    or
    after he has used it for more than a week.
    Have you used chatter mail ? It has a slew of functionality that versamail doesn't not the least of which is Instant email, better attachment handling, better led control, more alerting options, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by riekl
    Have you used chatter mail ? It has a slew of functionality that versamail doesn't not the least of which is Instant email, better attachment handling, better led control, more alerting options, etc.
    1.I'm a casual emailer.
    2.Versamail is already taking up memory.
    I appreciate what your saying but I don't know. More money, more memory, don't really need anything else.
    It'll be fun.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast