Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I was having quite a few Versamail crashes and corrupted files prior to the 1.08 update. Now I have had no problems at all. I deleted my accounts when I updated to the newer Versamail client in the patch and recreated them.

They sync fine. They don't get corrupted. I'm not having any issues besides how threads are handled with Gmail. When I send an email it comes up as a new email to me from me in versamail. Huh?

Well, it is very stable for me know. I am so glad 1.08 came out. Fixed almost all my 650 issues.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by beelzebueb
    your truly saying versamail works with gmail for you? I tried everything. since I bought snapper not one single problem.
    Yes, it works fine for me. It was very easy to set up also. My treo reset today on it's own. I'm not sure if it was because of versamail though. I guess I'll try it out for another week and see what happens. Maybe I'll try out chatter, seems like everyone likes the program.
    How come when I send a file to Snapper (and Versa) from Outlook as an attachment it shows up as a "winmail.dat" file rather then the actual file I am sending (xxx.WAV) ?
    Because of the setup of your Outlook or of your company's Exchange server. A Google search for "winmail.dat" will get you a host of articles on the subject.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xspot
    I guess I'm a little confused here.
    I used Snapper for several years and decided to try Versamail. There are a lot of issues that equate to preference, except for the fact that I cannot get Versamail to work properly and no one seem to know what the problem is...

when I delete email from the treo, they are downloaded again as if they were unread - even though I have the settings correct.

I cannot even use the auto empty feature, because as soon as they are deleted, they get downloaded again.....

this is weird, but also renders the app unusable...
    I have used VersaMail, Snapper and Chatter. With a POP account, VersaMail and Snapper were about the same for me.

After reading some posts on the virtues of IMAP, I decided to give it a shot with my paid Yahoo account forwarding all messages to a free FastMail (IMAP) account. Almost immediately I saw how superior IMAP is to POP. Chatter is great for IMAP accounts (haven't tried the new POP features yet) and I'm sticking with that client. My Treo now does E-mail as good as my work-provided Blackberry.

So I think the answer to the original question, "Why purchase an email program?", depends on how you use e-mail. I only do personal e-mail on my Treo but found being able to have instant delivery and almost mindless synchronization between my Treo, desktop, and web client (all via IMAP) made the investment in Chatter worthwhile. Had I stuck with POP, there probably wouldn't have been a big reason for me to change from VersaMail.
    I have been using Versamail with Gmail and Snapper for my other POP accounts (because of ssl issues) - both work great and settings reinstall after reboots (so no reprogramming has been necessary yet ) -
    I too am a casual emailer on the Treo and Versamail is fine for me. I have had no resets or lost messages. At this time, there are many other apps I would rather spend the allotment my wife gives me for tech toys. I need to at least wait until the initial shock she had about how much I spent for the 650 subsides!
    Since I got my 650 (the first day it came out, go search, I have pictures), I've used both Snapper and Versamail, with the majority of time being spent on Snapper.

I have four accounts Snapper checked, every ten minutes. I would take about 60 to 90 seconds to check, every ten minutes. That killed battery, and more importantly, left me unable to use the phone.

Chattermail looked like a pain to set up (forward everything, figure out what the hell IMAP was, and then figure out what fastmail was.) Several weekends ago, while watching March Madness, I finally took the time to learn.

How the hell did I live without Chattermail? I finally have push email and understand the beauty of the Blackberry and push in general. I want instant mail, I don't want to wait ten minutes, and Chatter delivers this. If you don't care (my wife checks her email once a day), then Versamail or Snapper are fine. But if you have clients or collegues that expect almost instant response to email, you need push, so you need chatter.

Why purchase an email program? It's all dependant on your needs.

The only thing that pissed me off is that there is obviously a technical solution to getting push mail on the Treo, and either Palm or Sprint should give you a better idea how to do it. The chatter guy is great for writing his program, and all people here are great in letting us know of their experiences.

But, still, if my wife wanted push email, there is no way she could do it. Nor my father, or mother, or half the people at my office, it was so farkin comlicated to set up. I could do it on a Treo in ten minutes now, but it took me two NCAA games to figure it all out.

I love my Treo, but was bitter at Palm One about the whole thing. You have a product that supports push mail and you leave me to go figure out how to do it all on my own by reading message boards. Nice tech support, guys.

Oh, had a problem with my sync cable and talked to Tier 2 tech support at Sprint (yes, those are the people that actually understand the Treo) and my tech guy uses Versamail. Didn't even know you could do push mail on the Treo (don't even get me started about Biz Connect-great if you have a dedicated computer up and running 24/7-but at work I have a lap top only-and the personal biz connenct only works when your computer is on-nice solution, guys). Anyway, the Tier 2 tech guy actually took notes while I told him how to get push email on his Treo. "Thanks dude," he told me.

If you want push mail (you do, I'm sure), get Chatter.
    Let me chime in... Chatter is "da bomb" ;-) Thx Mark!
    Pilot 512 >PPilot Pro > PalmV > Tungsten T > T3> Treo 650 Cingular
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    The other reason is that if you want IMAP (which means your instantly notified of new email instead of waiting for an hour) then Chatter is the choice because it runs in the background and you can have your email 'pushed'.
    What's that cost ya in battery life ?
    I guess I am an old curmudgeaon cause I can't understand the need to check my e-mail every 10 minutes. Of course everyone wants to "service their clients" but I don't see my doctor poppin his head out into the waiting room every 10 minutes to see who's there. The very concept of Instant Messaging is totally foreign to me. Let's see, whether or not I am on line is made available to everyone I know and I thereby give them the right to pester me with inane jokes, chain letters and other garbage whenever they feel like it, with the 1 in 100 chance that I will actually benefit from this communication....this is a good thing ?

I don't answer the phone during meals, reading the paper (my veg time) or otherwise "busy". I am at a little league baseball game, maybe I will call them between innings but more than likely I will wait to the end of the game.
    I screen my calls, choose what to take now and return them at MY convenience.
    I check my e-mail no more than twice a day.

My privacy is important to me. Being able to work uninterupted is important to me. If I gotta check my e-mail every 10 minutes, I wouldn't get much design work done having to restore my chain of thought every 10 minutes. I am not saying I am right....just asking what am I missing here ? What are people who need to be so 'connected" afraid they are going to miss if they don't answer every phone call and return every e-mail within 5 minutes ?
    I agree. I download my emails (using Versamail) only when I know I can read them. I have no use with a downloaded email on my Treo while driving down the highway at 60mph.

I looked into both Chatter and Snapper, but I generally use my laptop for heavy email use and attachment viewing. And since I really haven't had a problem with Versamail crashing on me I have stuck with it.
    Everyone chooses their way of life.
    I for one need to be very accessible for business reasons throughout the day.
    Calls and many Emails are a way of life for me.
    It is a price I am willing to pay to run a business.
    For me there is no "fear" of missing anything that motivates me to have chatter so that I can get my email instantly.
    For me it is a preference.
    Maybe I will slow down as I get Older....
    But I doubt it...

But I can also understand if work for you does not revolve around being "accessible". Everyone chooses his/her lane...

I will take the lane on the far left every time...
    But I dont judge those, way over in that right hand lane,who drive a little slower and are surely more patient than me...

I would continue... but damn...
    My phone is ringing...
    Good answer Longstrider....I'm not trying to find fault with that lifestyle......just trying to understand it. I need to be accessible too. If I have a building going up and there's 28 workers standing around waiting for an answer so they can continue, then I better be quick w/ an answer. If a plant malfunctions and there's wastewater spewing out all ove rthe place, I better answer. So when the phone rings, I look at the phone and if I need to answer it, I do. If the caller ain't on th "Top Ten callers I need to answer" list, I put the phone down w/o answering....but that's 9 to 5. E-mail...to me, by definition, don't use e-mail unless you can do w/o a response in 24 - 48 hours. I guess being on line for over 20 years has left me jaded with the "need to be in contact" side of the technology.

As for this e-mail instantly thing tho....I keep finding e-mails in Versamail even though I never told VM to go get aything...is it pulling it off my desktop or is it logging on to go get it (which I don't want it to do). I am gonna have to spend some time with the thing and the manual to:

1) Stop it from grabbing mail unless I want it to....no need to get my mail on laptop and on Treo.
    2) Make sure that anything I delete off Treo never gets deleted from server.
    Is Versamail the only email app that will work with ActiveSync?
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    I guess I am an old curmudgeaon cause I can't understand the need to check my e-mail every 10 minutes.
    I don't necessarily want to check my mail every 5 minutes, but it's nice to know that when I do want to check it, it will be current and I can read it immediately, rather than having to wait a minute or two for it to download.

Similarly, when I tag a message for further download, or want to retrieve an attachment, Chatter allows me to continue reading other mail while it does my bidding in the background. This was Chatter's major selling point for me over Snapper.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    I am not saying I am right....just asking what am I missing here ? What are people who need to be so 'connected" afraid they are going to miss if they don't answer every phone call and return every e-mail within 5 minutes ?
    I think a lot has to do with where you are on the information chain. It sounds like you are on the top of the info. chain. Everyone coming to you for answers. For some, it is a two way street. I send a fellow treonaut a simple question yesterday with Chatter. I had my answer within one minute. Now I did not *need* to have the answer so fast but, it was nice to get the answer while the question was in my train of thought.

I like instant email better than IM because it seems easier to ignore if you are busy at the time. IMHO it is much faster to type a quick email answer than respond to a phone or page. And, with all three, you can answer at your own convenience.
    Pilot 512 >PPilot Pro > PalmV > Tungsten T > T3> Treo 650 Cingular
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotoru
    I think a lot has to do with where you are on the information chain. It sounds like you are on the top of the info. chain. Everyone coming to you for answers. For some, it is a two way street.
    I have that too....in the examples given, I don't have all te answers. If often have to grab employees, suooliers, subs to get my answers before forwarding them on. But like your Treonaut example, if I ask here about "How to raise the volume on my Teo". I can wait a day or so before I get an answer....and te other 17 people tell me to do a search......sorry, couldn't resist <g>.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12