Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 123
  1.    #1  
    i don't know if anyone else found this program, but it is causing quite a stir with better performance than mmplayer and kinoma in a free package

    http://picard.exceed.hu/tcpmp

    link to forum on that site. for an "unstable" version, it is VERY stable and looks to be very promising. i can play on my Treo 600 a resized 160x120 AVI (Divx 300kbps/MP3 160kbps) @ 29.97FPS!
    oh the smoothness! mmplayer can't even do 20fps without sacrificing quality

    perhaps even the 650 could play a video WITHOUT having to resize it in the first place!

    this is just great!
  2. #2  
    well, it definitely looks to be a decent start. . . but there's a lot of work left unfortunately.
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by anitanium
    i don't know if anyone else found this program, but it is causing quite a stir with better performance than mmplayer and kinoma in a free package

    http://picard.exceed.hu/tcpmp

    link to forum on that site. for an "unstable" version, it is VERY stable and looks to be very promising. i can play on my Treo 600 a resized 160x120 AVI (Divx 300kbps/MP3 160kbps) @ 29.97FPS!
    oh the smoothness! mmplayer can't even do 20fps without sacrificing quality

    perhaps even the 650 could play a video WITHOUT having to resize it in the first place!

    this is just great!
    Will it play the kinoma files?
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    Will it play the kinoma files?
    No and it's really buggy.
  5. #5  
    Kinoma uses a proprietary format that only kinoma player will currently. . . and probably ever play.

    I ran it on my 650 without any problems, watch a full length movie without any hiccups at all.
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekara
    Kinoma uses a proprietary format that only kinoma player will currently. . . and probably ever play.

    I ran it on my 650 without any problems, watch a full length movie without any hiccups at all.
    What format? AVI? Mpeg?
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    What format? AVI? Mpeg?
    Kinoma Player 3 EX plays many media types Mpeg4, 3GP, Quicktime, AAC, etc. See http://www.kinoma.com/compare-player.html

    I think the earlier reference was to a proprietary format that Kinoma also offers. It is not necessary to use the proprietary format to play movies and other media files in Kinoma Player 3 EX. In addition, Kinoma Producer 3 EX creates media files in many formats (including MPEG 4 with AAC sound) other than the proprietary Kinoma format.

    In any event, the quality of Kinoma's MPEG4 video and AAC audio play has been consistently excellent. While it will not play .avi, IMO, the playback quality is much better on Kinoma than with similar players, such as MMplayer, etc.
    Last edited by Katway; 04/12/2005 at 03:51 PM.
  8. Entropy's Avatar
    Posts
    97 Posts
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    #8  
    Um, that's not "many" formats. The only Quicktime format that Kinoma supports is MPEG-4 SP video with MPEG-4 LC audio (aka AAC). 3gp is just a mild variant on the MPEG4 ISO container format, which is a variant of the latest Quicktime container format.

    If your video doesn't have MPEG-4 SP video and AAC audio, Kinoma will not play it.

    MPEG-4 ASP (Advanced Simple Profile) video with MPEG-1 Layer 3 (aka MP3) audio is FAR more common than MPEG-4 SP + AAC, and Kinoma supports *neither* of these codecs, let alone those two in an AVI container format, which is by far the most common codec pair + container format out there. (other than MPEG-2 program and transport streams.)

    My experience with Kinoma was that it was *extremely* finicky about the format, it choked (horrendous A/V sync + choppy video) on nearly every ISO MPEG4 A/V file I created, even though every other media player I tried that supported those codecs/formats had no trouble with it.

    MMPlayer is much more forgiving and while it doesn't support the exact format that Kinoma supports, that particular format is currently FAR less common than the formats which MMPlayer (and now TCPMP) support and Kinoma does not.
  9. #9  
    TCMP has been updated to .62, listed as having bug fixes, so if you had some issues before with .61 give the new version a look.
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

  10. #10  
    But Kinoma just works SO much better than mmplayer. You can easily move the slider forward and backward (mmplayer crashes), you can use the 5-way to skip forward or backward (mmplayer doesn't do that) and the video looks better on kinoma. I've never tried their producer software and never will since I use Nero Recode. The files are also smaller than avi files while looking better.

    Maybe Nero has something to do with them looking so good. I've used pocketdivx, pqdvd and smartmovie to make avi files and none of them were close to the recode files.
  11. cec
    cec is offline
    cec's Avatar
    Posts
    290 Posts
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    #11  
    Sweet. Betaplayer is a great program for PPCs. Plays just about anything thrown at it.

    I will give it a try on the 650. Thanks.
  12. #12  
    This is the program I hinted about in a previous post...
    IMO, it is better than both Kinoma and mmplayer.
    I actually have it playing 640 width xvid avi's (AND 128 kbps audio) with no problems (with a little clock boost).. I never thought I would say that.

    This is the best Palm program to come out in a long time.. And it's free (for now, at least)
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by handtruck
    This is the program I hinted about in a previous post...
    IMO, it is better than both Kinoma and mmplayer.
    I actually have it playing 640 width xvid avi's (AND 128 kbps audio) with no problems (with a little clock boost).. I never thought I would say that.

    This is the best Palm program to come out in a long time.. And it's free (for now, at least)
    Glad that it works for you, but have you tried Recode + Kinoma?
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man
    Glad that it works for you, but have you tried Recode + Kinoma?
    The fact that I can dl TV eps and play them on my 650 without any conversion.. for free? I don't think I even need to try Kinoma. And the quality of the video and audio is awesome.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by handtruck
    The fact that I can dl TV eps and play them on my 650 without any conversion.. for free? I don't think I even need to try Kinoma. And the quality of the video and audio is awesome.
    Then you have no basis for comparison and I trust that you won't make such statements in the future. Thanks anyway.

    For anyone interested in watching DVDs that are much higher quality than TV broadcasts, I'd suggest checking out Recode + Kinoma.
  16. #16  
    WOW!!! AVI's look awesome!!
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    WOW!!! AVI's look awesome!!
    They certainly do. This new version is finally pretty stable. It's great for short avi files like Aqua Teen episodes since you don't have to convert anything. It doesn't work very well for full DVDs since the avi file is much bigger than the m4p file that Recode produces.

    I'm going to mess around with AutoGK to see if it can do a better job of converting DVDs to AVI than pocketdivx, pqdvd or smartmovie did.
  18. #18  
    Great work! This is really a wonderful media program!
  19. #19  
    This is the new must have software for the treo (for us movie and tv watchers). It plays Divx, Xvid, MPEG files very well.
    Ideally, you should still convert your files to 320 width to lessen the burden on the CPU, but it will play 640 width with a little overclocking. And if you are tired of crappy audio on your video files, this will play 128 kbps and 48KHz audio with no issues (try it!).
    I just got to work after watching a couple of TV eps on the train (one converted to 320 and one not) and didn't have one problem (not with audio sync, skipped frames, anything!). Not to say that mmplayer gave me a lot of problems (it didn't), but I love the luxury of not having to reencode the file if I don't have the time.
    When the GUI is finished on this thing, it will be truly awesome. It's great even the way it is, but needs an equalizer.
  20. #20  
    This program is nice and does what it says but I have noticed several hicsups when I was playing a copy of Ray. This is looking promising though. I'll keep my eye on it!
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

    Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

    Twittering about
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions