Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 123
  1. aldamon's Avatar
    Posts
    650 Posts
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    #81  
    Quote Originally Posted by handtruck
    Audio
    Codec: Ogg Vorbis
    Bitrate: 80 kbps CBR (ogg has better quality at smaller bitrates - I usually stick with mp3, but I know file size is a concern)
    When I used PocketDivxEncoder with XVID, my only audio option was MP3 and in my experience, the audio bitrate created the largest increase in file size. When I made my XVID movies, I used 96kbps MP3 audio (anything less was awful), which left very little bandwidth for the video if I wanted to keep the file size at ~220MB for 2+ hours. It really all comes down to how much space the audio codec leaves for the video. So, if you've managed to use OGG Vorbis with XVID, I have no doubt that you're matching MP4/AAC video quality at similar file sizes. OGG destroys MP3 in file size and quality. All the music on my 650 is OGG.

    So, for me, Nero Recode MP4 with AAC > XVID + MP3. Is Nero Recode MP4 with AAC > XVID + OGG? Not sure. I really doubt it on such a small screen.
  2. #82  
    Quote Originally Posted by aldamon
    When I used PocketDivxEncoder with XVID, my only audio option was MP3 and in my experience, the audio bitrate created the largest increase in file size. When I made my XVID movies, I used 96kbps MP3 audio (anything less was awful), which left very little bandwidth for the video if I wanted to keep the file size at ~220MB for 2+ hours. It really all comes down to how much space the audio codec leaves for the video. So, if you've managed to use OGG Vorbis with XVID, I have no doubt that you're matching MP4/AAC video quality at similar file sizes. OGG destroys MP3 in file size and quality. All the music on my 650 is OGG.

    So, for me, Nero Recode MP4 with AAC > XVID + MP3. Is Nero Recode MP4 with AAC > XVID + OGG? Not sure. I really doubt it on such a small screen.
    Exactly right about AAC being a better codec than MP3. OGG should yield similar results to AAC. Most agree that the Recode MP4 is slightly better than Xvid visually, plus you have the added bonus of encoding in about half the time when you use Recode. It really can't be beat.

    For a free solution, Xvid with OGG will get you to probably 90-95% of Recode 2 with the only major disadvantage being slow encoding time.
  3. santas's Avatar
    Posts
    624 Posts
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    #83  
    Is the playback performance the same for ogg as it is for mp3? I've gotten where I can get a 160x120 video at 24 fps playing on my Treo 600 with xvid. But just barely.

    I've read elsewhere that .oggs take more CPU to decode. I use .oggs for my music and am very happy with it, but I'm worried about getting dropped frames if the CPU has to spend more time on the music.
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
  4. #84  
    ogg takes more CPU to decode. Does pxaclocker not work on the 600?
  5. #85  
    White border around image?? Is anyone noticing a white border around your video?
  6. santas's Avatar
    Posts
    624 Posts
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    #86  
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man
    ogg takes more CPU to decode. Does pxaclocker not work on the 600?
    Sadly, there is no overclock utility for the 600.
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
  7. santas's Avatar
    Posts
    624 Posts
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    #87  
    Quote Originally Posted by dstroot
    White border around image?? Is anyone noticing a white border around your video?
    I think that's the part of the screen beyond the resolution (either beyond the 160 or 320 pixels)
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
  8. #88  
    Lightspeed is a program that can overclock the 600, you may also want to look into udmh (unlimited dynamic memory hack). And I believe santa is right about that white border.
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

  9. santas's Avatar
    Posts
    624 Posts
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    #89  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekara
    Lightspeed is a program that can overclock the 600
    Sadly it doesn't. Lightspeed overclocks XScale CPUs. The 600 has an OMAP processor.
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
  10. #90  
    gotta get 2.0 for omap support:

    Version 2.0 adds support for 12 more Palm OS 5 devices equipped with Texas Instruments OMAP and Motorola i.MX1/i.MXL processors!
    the 600 is not listed (actually it says it's unsupported), but I've seen a few reports here in there that it does work.
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

  11. santas's Avatar
    Posts
    624 Posts
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    #91  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekara
    gotta get 2.0 for omap support:

    the 600 is not listed (actually it says it's unsupported), but I've seen a few reports here in there that it does work.
    Cool. Just downloaded it. It won't run. Says Treo 600 is not supported. But this is just a beta and they seem to be adding models, so hopefully this will happen soon!

    Thanks!
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
  12. #92  
    hey tekara, are u overclocking your 650 w/tcpmp?
  13. #93  
    santa - yeah, it used to try and work on the 600 but I think the guy got a bunch of reports in about it not working so he just nixed support for the 600 altogether for future work.

    john - I do have my 650 overclocked to 416mhz using pxaclocker, I also use UDMH (more for the little john emulator). Really helps mmplayer, not sure if tcpmp needs it.
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

  14. aldamon's Avatar
    Posts
    650 Posts
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    #94  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekara
    Really helps mmplayer, not sure if tcpmp needs it.
    In my experience, the 650 doesn't need to be overclocked to run TCPMP smoothly. It's a lot more efficient than MMPlayer and Kinoma.
  15. #95  
    have u noticed increased heat or batt drain w/overclocking? R u using unreg pxa or reg?- overclocking only specific apps?
    I would have of course asked u all this @ treochat.net... but u haven't been there! (busy guy)
    John
  16. #96  
    Quote Originally Posted by santa
    Cool. Just downloaded it. It won't run. Says Treo 600 is not supported. But this is just a beta and they seem to be adding models, so hopefully this will happen soon!

    Thanks!
    Strange, it runs just fine on my Treo 600. (Version 0.64c)
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
  17. #97  
    Quote Originally Posted by johnski1969
    have u noticed increased heat or batt drain w/overclocking? R u using unreg pxa or reg?- overclocking only specific apps?
    I would have of course asked u all this @ treochat.net... but u haven't been there! (busy guy)
    John
    Yeah, schools been picking up for finals, only have two weeks left. . . I can't wait until everything settles down again!!

    Quote Originally Posted by aldamon
    In my experience, the 650 doesn't need to be overclocked to run TCPMP smoothly. It's a lot more efficient than MMPlayer and Kinoma.
    I was refering to udmh, I think tcpmp can make good use of more virtual dynamic heap memory, but with how well it performs stock it may not really be needed.

    Quote Originally Posted by shneor
    Strange, it runs just fine on my Treo 600. (Version 0.64c)
    I believe he is talking about lightspeed, which is listed as not supporting the treo 600
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

  18. #98  
    anyone notice any differences between the .063 version to the .064c or .064b? i have .063 and it doesn't play some of my movies
  19. #99  
    So this program won't play the .pdb files that MMPlayer and Kinoma play I find. Also, it won't play the sound for my video I recorded using the Treo 650 built in video camera program. It says "Audio code (Qualcomm QCELP CC00) not supported by the player". Also, is there any way to see a list (and jump to a specific file) of all at once instead of having to forward through to the file you want to see/hear?
    Well, it isn't perfect and it makes me crazy, but I still do love my Treo!
    Sprint Treo 650 CDMA
  20. aldamon's Avatar
    Posts
    650 Posts
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    #100  
    Quote Originally Posted by stylez23
    anyone notice any differences between the .063 version to the .064c or .064b? i have .063 and it doesn't play some of my movies
    Typically, you'd want to download the latest version of a free beta program, especially if 0.63 isn't working. LOL.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions