Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man
    For me, Recode 2 AVC > Recode 2 ASP > pqdvd xvid (ASP) > everything else (auto gk, smartmovie, fairuse, pocketdivx). I've tried them all.
    Can Recode do video clips? I capture a lot of tv shows, and I want to recode them so they're smaller, but I tried with recode and I'm not sure if it does it. Thanks!
    I just use Recode 2 for DVD encoding. Check their site to see if they do other formats.
    Looks like they put out version 0.64 today. I can't wait to get my SD card that I ordered so I can finally try this software out!
    Thanks for the update creamy3! The original link to .64 was taken down due to a bug, so 0.64b has been posted at at http://corecodec.org/frs/?group_id=53
    The list of additions say there is better mp4 support, so that may make 2000 Man happy.

There are some great new features, including a/v sync, which is available on mmplayer, but the new timestamp and the ability to set your preferred rewind/fast forward speed aren't.

Another great update on a great program.
    No problem ninodelsol. I'm planning on using Nero Recode and I guess it wasn't handling the mp4's too well, so hopefully they have addressed that in the update. Dang SD card in the mail... I should have just gone to Best Buy...
    Yes, the new version works a lot better than the last one. I'd have to say that it's now the best video player available. It already did AVIs better than anything else and now the MP4 support is better than Kinoma Player since it offers more features like AV sync and brightness.
    Quote Originally Posted by creamy3
    ...Dang SD card in the mail... I should have just gone to Best Buy...
    I feel your pain. I went through the same thing a couple weeks ago. Thanks in part to the arrival of TCPMP, I think your patience will be well rewarded
    This version seems to be working fine, too.
    <br>
    "What counts most in creating a successful team is not how compatible its players are, but how they deal with incompatibility." - Sports Illustrated
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    I have to agree with 2000 Man. Now that I don't have to use the POS Kinoma Player EX, the combination of Nero Recode and TCPMP 0.64c is amazing. PocketDivxEncoder/XVID can't touch Recode at equivalent files sizes.
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    Does anyone have a copy of 0.62 they could send me? Looks like they're in the process of building the website. Can't get it downloaded!
    Quote Originally Posted by aldamon
    I have to agree with 2000 Man. Now that I don't have to use the POS Kinoma Player EX, the combination of Nero Recode and TCPMP 0.64c is amazing. PocketDivxEncoder/XVID can't touch Recode at equivalent files sizes.
    Yup, and Recode 2 encodes a lot faster when you're doing 2-pass encodings.
    Global Posts
    170 Global Posts
    Where do I get Recode 2? Is it a free app or does it only come as part of the Nero 6 software?
    I would like to once again defend Xvid as a great codec to use with TCPMP (and free).

I'm linking a sample file, and I encourage Recode supporters to do the same since we all can play them now. This will only be up for a few hours since I'm borrowing the web space from a friend.

<Edit> Link Removed </Edit>

I think it's great to show what this program can do. There is no overclocking required on the clip I've provided (at least not on my 650). This is an ogm file which will play in TCPMP.

Try to keep similar stats for other files linked or uploaded:
    Ripped from DVD

Video
    Resolution: 320x180
    Codec: 2pass xvid
    Frame Rate: 23.976 fps
    Bitrate: 227 kbps (I can do more -and TCPMP can take more- but I know many people are concerned about file size)

Audio
    Codec: Ogg Vorbis
    Bitrate: 80 kbps CBR (ogg has better quality at smaller bitrates - I usually stick with mp3, but I know file size is a concern)

Disclaimer: I am in no way encouraging the illegal distribution of movies. This is a 1 minute clip that I am using as an example of video and audio codecs. If this violates any copyrights, please notify me and I will edit the post.
    Last edited by handtruck; 04/22/2005 at 07:51 PM.
    I would like to try Xvid out. I found it on download.com. They have XviD 1.0.2 and XviD Media Codec 1.0.2. Are these the correct programs to use? What's the difference, and which one should I use to encode my video?
    Well that is the tough thing.. Xvid (and divx) is occasionally difficult to use. There are many guides out there (try doom9.org or videohelp.com) which outline how to use the codec. I never denied the easiness of Nero (although I've never used it), but once you get the hang of using virtualdub and friends, then you'll be good to go. If I ever get time, I will try to make a good guide for DVD backup, although tek8ra's guide posted here often is pretty good as well (I would make some changes to it)
    Xvid is certainly a great codec, just not as good as Recode 2 and nowhere near as good as Nero's AVC codec (not supported by TCPMP).

If you have the money to spend, Recode 2 will net you better looking movies that encode faster and take up less space than the exact same movie encoded with Xvid. If you don't want to spend the money for Recode 2, you can still use xvid to encode movies that look and sound as good as Recode 2, it will just take longer to encode them and they will take up more space on your SD card.

I seem to be one of the few who's used both extensively. Since Nero came with my computer, I'm sticking with the superior Recode 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man
    Xvid is certainly a great codec, just not as good as Recode 2 and nowhere near as good as Nero's AVC codec (not supported by TCPMP).

If you have the money to spend, Recode 2 will net you better looking movies that encode faster and take up less space than the exact same movie encoded with Xvid. If you don't want to spend the money for Recode 2, you can still use xvid to make encode movies that look and sound as good as Recode 2, it will just take longer to encode them and they will take up more space on your SD card.

I seem to be one of the few who's used both extensively.
    I have not seen any evidence with my own eyes that Recode 2 will yield better looking and sounding files at the same size. The file you emailed me was IMO, not as good or just as good as the one I just posted at the same (or close) bitrate. Obviously, I don't know anything about the speed of the encoding of recode (I've never done it). I hear AVC is pretty good, but again, I haven't seen any of this.

Debate like this can only lead to better files and better quality

Thanks TCPMP for even making this possible.
    The file that you posted doesn't seem to work at all. I just get an invalid zip file error. Oh well.

With this latest version of TCPMP, I've uninstalled Kinoma Player. No need for it now.
    Thanks 2000 Man, I don't know what the problem is.. Unfortunately the video file is on my work PC so I can't fix right now.

TCPMP.. My most frequently used program...
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast