Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Working for me, TCPMP is now my player of choice, nothing else can touch it in performance and I can encode my own movies for quality.

Can't wait for them to get into streaming video!!! It's like my one big project, to be able to watch tv on the go. . . like mobitv but better.
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    DITTO. Kinoma Player & Producer are THE best solution at this time.
    I disagree. I prefer Nero Recode 2 to Producer. Recode 2 does a better job and has more settings that you can adjust. Recode 2 will also convert entire DVDs much more easily.

I'm guessing that the .64 or .65 version of betaplayer will surpass Kinoma Player 3 EX and be the only program worth using for with the 650. Recode 2 to encode DVDs and betaplayer to play them.
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    It's pretty good, but I'm not seeing the big performance gains people are mentioning. I get a bunch of dropped frams on AVIs (Divx) that are either bigger than 160x120 or have 30fps on my Treo 600. So not much of a difference from mmplayer. It seems a little peppier, but not a lot.

Is it just me?
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
    It is truly nice to have another choice. I am a registered user of Kinoma, having paid twice for it, I am soooo past re-encoding just to watch on my Treo. In fact, not used it in a while.

I am also a registered user of MMPlayer, it plays my videos without re-encoding and has been getting steadily better and better. The new 1.0RC2 seems to be the best yet and it seems they are close to a 1.0 product. Thankfully I have a Pro key and I am very happy with it at this point in the cycle.

This new player TCPMP is very promising and even in this alpha has earned a spot on my Treo. I hope to see some good competition between MMPlayer and TCPMP in the future.

Kinoma can rot for all I care, thier development pace, lack of customer involvement, and the $$$ I have invested have not paid off in customer satisfaction in my book. Re-encoding is soooo 2003!!! No-Way, not for me!

The only reason I keep it around is the old videos of my kids that I like to play while I am away, they are still in Kinoma format. If it were'nt for them, I would delete both the player and the producer in a heartbeat.
    Quote Originally Posted by E2EK1EL
    " You should be redirected to the player page in 5 second.
    Click here "

Still doesn't work .... god damn.
    Maybe you should click on the link!
    Quote Originally Posted by mattyparanoid
    Kinoma can rot for all I care, thier development pace, lack of customer involvement, and the $$$ I have invested have not paid off in customer satisfaction in my book. Re-encoding is soooo 2003!!! No-Way, not for me!
    Good luck watching DVDs on your 650 without re-encoding them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorea
    Maybe you should click on the link!

LOL I found another post that has the direct download. The dude's site is done for a few days lol
    Can anyone suggest a good converter for WMV files? Also, what is a good format to convert those files into for viewing on the Treo? I'm new to all this video-on-my-Treo stuff.
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man
    I disagree. I prefer Nero Recode 2 to Producer. Recode 2 does a better job and has more settings that you can adjust. Recode 2 will also convert entire DVDs much more easily.

I'm guessing that the .64 or .65 version of betaplayer will surpass Kinoma Player 3 EX and be the only program worth using for with the 650. Recode 2 to encode DVDs and betaplayer to play them.
    I've tried several times to get consistent results from Kinoma/Recode and I've been disappointed every time. Either the audio pops or Kinoma freezes up or resets the Treo or it crashes when changing a configuration. When it works, the video looks great and the audio sounds great (between pops), but I'm having fits getting a perfect result.

Are you overclocking by any chance 2000 Man to get your great results? I seem to remember you mentioning it in another thread. I don't really want to overclock. Like you said, hopefully Betaplayer surpasses Kinoma quickly so it's a not an issue.
    I've never gotten a single freeze from Kinoma player and my audio sounds great at only 40/22050. I am overclocked though since I always run at 468.

Right now, betaplayer is great for avi's, but it can't touch Kinoma/Recode for playing DVDs.
    i'm over clocking with the latest release and I have no problems with hickup's now. i'm at 468 also. This program is great, and with added features can only get better.

How stable is the PPC version?

Timmay
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    I found better performance after reencoding to 320 width (I can play 640 with overclocking, but still get some skipped frames - not many, but some - and it depends on what type of show I am watching).
    But 320 width at 400 kbps is basically flawless (depending on source), and I get to use 128 kbps mp3 sound at 48KHz, so it looks and sounds brilliant. This will also play ogg sound (which I am just starting to learn about), and I understand you get comparable sound with smaller bitrates. However, if I can play the original audio, I'll always stick with that.
    aldamon: regarding overclocking, I felt the way you do but after trying it, I can't go back. I only enable it for real cpu intensive stuff, and the difference is incredible. Kinoma is literally almost twice as fast, benchmarked. Went from 37 secs to 20 secs in my benchmark. TomTom updates the screen almost twice as smoothly, etc.

Regarding Kinoma, I love it because of two things: 1- It plays QTVR movies flawlessly (I shoot my own cubic panoramas) and 2- It bookmarks each movie you play separately, so it remembers where you stopped watching each video.
    I overclock TCPMP to 468 and am able to benchmark 640x360 xvid avi's with 128 kbps VBR Mp3 sound at over 100%.
    However, high action scenes sometimes skip a few frames, so if I have the time (and I anticipate some high action scenes), I just use virtualdub to shrink to 320 width. There is really no loss of quality there (on the treo at least), since the screen is only 320 width to begin with.

I still recommend auto gk to convert DVD to avi. I do all the step manually myself now, but I got started with auto gk. I always encode to 640 to begin with since my dvd player will play xvid avis (Philips DVP 642). If I now want to play it on my treo, I can keep it as is (with overclocking), or just reencode to 320 width.

I wish I had some time to make a guide to share with everyone with regards to making avi's... I know some people disagree, but IMO, 2 pass xvid (when done right) is the best quality video out there for both PC and Treo viewing.
    I really didn't like the results from Auto GK. I got better results from pqdvd when converting DVDs to AVIs. I'm trying FairUse right now to see how it does. Recode 2 is still the best, but only converts DVDs to MP4s. If TCPMP could decode the Nero AVC codec, I'd be in heaven. That codec blows everything else out of the water when converting DVDs to small file sizes.
    IMHO, if you can set up auto gk correctly, you get really beautiful files... for both your PC and tht treo... are you using xvid and do you have the latest version?
    Quote Originally Posted by handtruck
    IMHO, if you can set up auto gk correctly, you get really beautiful files... for both your PC and tht treo... are you using xvid and do you have the latest version?
    Latest xvid. I ran 2-pass, AS @ L5. It's the exact same codec used in pqdvd and auto gk, but pqdvd looked a lot better. It's also easier to change the start and end positions with pqdvd (it's even easier if you use Recode 2) than with auto gk.

For me, Recode 2 AVC > Recode 2 ASP > pqdvd xvid (ASP) > everything else (auto gk, smartmovie, fairuse, pocketdivx). I've tried them all.
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    I'm pulling my hair out trying to get Kinoma to work unoverclocked. Now Kinoma is resetting my Treo when I open the movie. TCPMP is playing the MP4 files fine, but there's no audio if I encode the entire movie. Only clips work completely.
    Last edited by aldamon; 04/17/2005 at 01:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man
    Latest xvid. I ran 2-pass, AS @ L5. It's the exact same codec used in pqdvd and auto gk, but pqdvd looked a lot better. It's also easier to change the start and end positions with pqdvd (it's even easier if you use Recode 2) than with auto gk.

For me, Recode 2 AVC > Recode 2 ASP > pqdvd xvid (ASP) > everything else (auto gk, smartmovie, fairuse, pocketdivx). I've tried them all.
    If I get a chance, maybe I can email you a short clip so you can try it on BetaPlayer.. PM me if you want.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk
    i'm over clocking with the latest release and I have no problems with hickup's now. i'm at 468 also. This program is great, and with added features can only get better.

How stable is the PPC version?

Timmay
    The PPC version is rock solid. i've watched a 2 hour dvd movie re-encoded to 640x480 divx with 192kb mp3 sound, the file was about 780 mb and no hiccups or crashes or synchronization issues. that was on an ipaq hx4700. however i've never had problems with betaplayer on any PPC- however some ppc phone edition models such as the audiovox on sprint have jitter issues because of their reduced processor clock speeds.
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast