Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    I have hard reset my Sprint 650 (V1.08) to virgin. Use network time is unchecked. I have synced only my contacts. I have activated BC. When my BC recieves new mail it messages my phone, and alerts. When I turn on my screen I see the new message alert. I press goto, and my device resets. After the reset the alert screen shows and I press goto, and read my messages. It does not happen everytime, but happens 9 out of 10. ##377 always shows reset caused by unknown application, fatal error. I have no apps installed other then what is on the phone after hard reset, no ringtones, no pictures, just 100 contacts ! I have 21.5M free. This phone is empty!
    Any ideas?
    PS NO I don't want to sign a petition, just want help to trubleshoot/configure my device correctly.
    I don't have BC (Sprint Business Connection) running, but use SMS for things like http://www.google.com/sms/ all the time. I've never had it crash running SMS at all.

It does seem that several people have posted here saying they had reboots that were also using BC. I wonder if BC has some issues?
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    I never suffer resets on weekends. I bring my laptop home from work so BC is not running. I do not recieve any SMS on weekends, just phone calls. So I didn't know if it was BC, or SMS related. As a test this afternoon I sent an SMS from my ISP and when i looked at the alert I had 2 messages waiting. One from Lotus Notes at work through BC, and the one I sent myself. When I pressed go to, it reset. I would love to hear from other bc (personal edition) users.
    Try turning BC off and sending a message to google sms (details at http://www.google.com/sms/)

Just send the message "PLMO" (no quotes) to number 46645. This should result in Google sending you PalmOne's stock price information. When you get the alert of a new message select Goto and see if it opens the message OK. That should verify that you can send and receive SMS messages OK.

That would also prove your problem is in the BC software.

If you do have a problem opening an SMS from Google I would recommend you run to get a replacement.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobmay
    I never suffer resets on weekends. I bring my laptop home from work so BC is not running. I do not receive any SMS on weekends, just phone calls. So I didn't know if it was BC, or SMS related. As a test this afternoon I sent an SMS from my ISP and when i looked at the alert I had 2 messages waiting. One from Lotus Notes at work through BC, and the one I sent myself. When I pressed go to, it reset. I would love to hear from other bc (personal edition) users.
    My suggestion would be to first follow Darnell's initial advice to shut down BC to try to determine if the problem is BC related (or just a general case of corruption with the sms database). If you find that even after BC is fully shutdown, this problem (resets when trying to open sms') still occurs, it may then be an issue related to corruption within the sms database. In that event, try to follow the steps mentioned in a previous thread about a some what similar problem. Here is a link to a post that may help you:

http://tinyurl.com/5b3zq
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    AAARGH! SMS to google works fine no reset. I tried it twice, worked perfect. Sent SMS from my ISP account, worked fine. I sent myself an email to my work Lotus Notes address. BC alerted me, I tapped go to,and it worked fine with no resets. In other words it has worked fine for 4 out of 4 times. This has to be a personal record for me. I had not changed anything before this test. I didn't shut off bc because I would have had to go to my office to shut it down.
    Even though it is working now I went ahead, and took your advice, and using Filez, deleted 2 files "SMS Messages2" and "Messages Database". I am not going to sync anything. I will wait, and see what happens at work tomorrow.
    Thank you both for your help. I will post back my success, or lack of.

PS I just recieved an alert from BC while I was typing this. Worked perfect!
    Boy is my boss working late tonight. Great, it is about our impending upgrade from Lotus Notes 6 to 6.5. That will keep this BC stuff this interesting.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Well I suffered about a dozen resets today reading SMS. Now it is reseting about 40 percent of the time. I also had a reset answering a call today. Think I should return it for another one? I just read my COMP USA reciept, which states it can be exchanged within 21 days. I bought it on March 16, so I have missed by exactly a week. Suggestions? Anything else I should try? Should I call Sprint, or P1? The fact it reset on answering an incoming call rules out BC in my mind.
    bobmay

I had the same problem for a while...even got a new phone...
    finally figured it out..

look for a file to delete with something that says SMSmessage or something to that effect. It's a file called SMS something, just can't remember. After I deleted it, the problem was gone! It was just a corrupt file.

good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by bobmay
    Well I suffered about a dozen resets today reading SMS. Now it is reseting about 40 percent of the time. I also had a reset answering a call today. Think I should return it for another one? I just read my COMP USA reciept, which states it can be exchanged within 21 days. I bought it on March 16, so I have missed by exactly a week. Suggestions? Anything else I should try? Should I call Sprint, or P1? The fact it reset on answering an incoming call rules out BC in my mind.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Thanks for the reply. Last night I used Filez to delete 2 files "SMS Messages2" and "Messages Database". I also did not sync since I removed these files. Still had resets today, although it worked a lot better(less resets).
    When yours was reseting on a corrupt database did ##377 say caused by unknown application?
    CompUSeless is what I call them

Maybe you can get this resolved without an exchange, but I'm not surprised CompUSeless would have a "21 day" return policy. They must have found people were returning things near 30 days and set their policy to be a full 9 days shorter .

Well you still could take it back to a Sprint store if you have to. I think if you do it in less than 30 days from purchase they might move a little faster for you. Then after that there is the PalmOne 90 and 1 year warranty if all else fails.

Good luck.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    I just hard reset, and re installed the updater. I downloaded the updater from Sprint's site to be safe. I reactivated BC, and did not sync. I manually added two contacts. I setup my personal email account in Versa. Ten minutes after I finished I recieved an SMS alert of a new email from BC. I pressed go to, and my 650 reset. You cannot have a more virgin configuration than I now have. I guess I will get on the phone, and start dialing for dollars. I am going to start with Sprint. Sprint might be able to give me some ammo to use at COMP USA for a new replacement.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Just got off the phone with Sprint support, and they said their database shows no known issues with the Treo 650. Told me to take it to a Sprint store for diagnostics. I'll keep you posted.