1.    #1  
    I saw this program recently:

http://palmsource.palmgear.com/index...e&prodid=57166

Kinda looks like a Palm Trillian if you ask me. Does anyone know if this is any good? I'm hoping it doesn't run through SMS, it doesn't seem like it does....The program looks really cool.

I'm also looking at:

http://palmsource.palmgear.com/index...&prodid=52677#

http://palmsource.palmgear.com/index...&prodID=83469#

Any thoughts?
    <a href="http://www.terriblemovies.com">TerribleMovies.Com</a>
    I use Causerie and like it a lot.
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    I dont want to deviate from Causerie.
    verichat works well for me...
    The only time I ever made a mistake was when i thought I did and was mistaken.
    Quote Originally Posted by donric609
    verichat works well for me...
    as you will find out by doing a simple search on these forums, Verichat is the leader in Treo-land instant messaging.
    Yeah, I tried a bunch of them. Mundu's been out for awhile now, but people here seem to be split between Verichat (about 80%) and Causerie (about 20%) judging from the messages.

Personally, I tried them both and settled on Verichat -- the latest, with the ability to bookmark buddies so I can reach them with one key from the phone app is pretty cool. (I use it to bookmark flight status and yellow pages, mostly, but there are a few people I IM with often enough to bookmark them).
    Quote Originally Posted by DougKoz
    Yeah, I tried a bunch of them. Mundu's been out for awhile now, but people here seem to be split between Verichat (about 80%) and Causerie (about 20%) judging from the messages.
    I wonder how people stand sending their login information to a relay server!
    i like causerie, i jus hated the buddy list view verichat had, i hated scrolling thru all 100+ of my buddies to see who was online
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"

Personally, I tried them both and settled on Verichat -- the latest, with the ability to bookmark buddies so I can reach them with one key from the phone app is pretty cool. (I use it to bookmark flight status and yellow pages, mostly, but there are a few people I IM with often enough to bookmark them).
    I am surprised to see that only 20% are talking about Causerie because I keep seeing people posting that they like Causerie and personally I feel it is lot better than Verichat.It makes me think that these figures are wrong.I have also tried Verichat latest beta version,it is not allowing to login with two yahoo accounts.
    Verichat Bots do not play help message,it displays only after we type something.Is this happening only for me??
    Quote Originally Posted by CPcrazyfly
    i like causerie, i jus hated the buddy list view verichat had, i hated scrolling thru all 100+ of my buddies to see who was online
    Verichat has typomatic search -- quick find, which is how you deal with large buddy lists. Just start typing the first few characters of your buddy's screen name, first name or last name, and Verichat scrolls the buddy list to that point. This is much much better than simply putting your online buddies in a group by themselves or at the top of the list-- I usually have more than 150 online buddies in a total buddylist of around 300.

Verichat also has a group view in which it shows only online buddies, and in the main view you can hide your offline buddies.
    Quote Originally Posted by ideas
    I am surprised to see that only 20% are talking about Causerie because I keep seeing people posting that they like Causerie and personally I feel it is lot better than Verichat.It makes me think that these figures are wrong.I have also tried Verichat latest beta version,it is not allowing to login with two yahoo accounts.
    the latest Verichat lets you login with upto 16 Yahoo accounts. Just create as many Yahoo accounts by going to the accounts screen.

I doubt if causerie even has 20% of the userbase of verichat. I travel a lot and keep running into people with Treos and Blackberries at Airports and such that use Verichat. Have never run into anyone yet out there in the field that uses causerie.
    I tried using causerie it looks pretty nice, but I didnt like the buddylist view. It also caused my Treo to crash if I tried to turn the phone off, it also dosent wolrk as well in the background and you can't send stuff to your freinds at leastas far as I know.

I'm curious to know how you got that ratio. Please elaborate on this.

Verichat user here, but dont use it all that much. I prefer SMS, it gets to the person rather than the machine they are on. Also, I dont really have a need to converse with 150 online buddies (my closest friends have SMS capable Phones) so that's why i dont really use it. It's more of another way to contact someone if I really needed to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blademonkey
    I'm curious to know how you got that ratio. Please elaborate on this.
    Don't anybody start quoting me, that was just a guess from the postings on these forums (whenever anybody starts an IM thread, somebody says "Causerie" and 4 people say "Verichat"). Completely non-scientific.

I did a quick check for those who want somewhat more scientific data. Handango says 15K PalmOS downloads for Verichat, 2K for Causerie. (Verichat has another 3K downloads for Blackberry + PocketPC).

That, unfortunately, doesn't say how many liked it enough to buy, but from what I've heard from both sides about liking it, I suspect the conversion rates are about the same. That would imply about a "9:1" ratio of Verichat:Causerie in the real world, which matches my perception (I've never run into a Causerie user except on the TreoCentral boards, but have run into many Verichat users).

None of this says ANYTHING about which app is better, something I'm not interested in getting into...just for those who were wondering about the figures.
    Quote Originally Posted by FFly
    I wonder how people stand sending their login information to a relay server!
    I wonder how people stand sending all their IM's through common gateways (you know... the *chat* servers?). Frankly, nothing sent in IM is private. And the passwords I use for IM don't overlap with anything else.

The benefit in using these proxies is that you are in fact *always* online... whether directly connected or redirected via SMS. And I'm willing to give up a little to be always connected.