1.    #1  
    I am in the final stages of considering buying a Sprint Treo 650. I've read a lot of useful info in these forums, and despite the occasional horror stories, I still think the Treo is the most useful device for my needs. Anyhow, I was looking for some advice/suggestions for a case given my needs (yes, I'm planning early ), as I have not been able to find clear-cut answers despite reading numerous threads. . . .

I will be carrying the Treo exclusively in my pants pocket. I currently have a very slim candy-bar style phone that I actually carry around in one of those black string bags for sunglasses. It adds no weight/volume and it provides some basic protection from scratches and very short drops. However, it would not be an ideal solution for carrying the Treo, due to the Treo's substantial width and that I'd be removing it from my pocket often to use as a PDA (the bag system requires 2 hands a lot of the time--esp for putting the phone back in the bag).

Anyhow, I am considering the TreoCentral Skin Case (in combination with a screen protector), as it appears to add the least thickness while providing a basic level of protection. However, I am concerned about some possible issues I've seen hints about:

--Does the Skin Case make it substantially difficult to remove the Treo from a pocket due to it clinging to the fabric? (the TC review implies that)

--Does the Skin Case collect a lot of lint from pockets necessitating frequent washing of the case?

--Does the Skin Case add any noticeable thickness to the Treo (it's hard to tell from the pics how thick it is)?

--Given the relative instability of the Treo, is it a pain to have to remove the case each time a reset is needed?

(As I don't own the Treo yet, I'm a little confused about this last point--it appears that a soft reset requires removal of the battery cover and yet there are also applications that allow you to command a soft reset from the screen--but wouldn't that be useless if the Treo is frozen?--or is that a hard reset situation?--I'm just not sure how often Treo users need to do a soft reset that requires getting into the battery compartment, including those users who complain of lots of "soft resets")

I'm not sure if there is a leather case that is as thin/light as the Skin Case that would be less clingy to fabric and also easier to remove/put on. I haven't really found one, but would appreciate any suggestions if there is one.

Having said that, the only other option I can think of is to go case-less and just carry around the Treo with a screen protector only. This would be a very novel thing for me, as I've always used a case/bag for my candy bar style phones. I'm not necessarily worried about the Treo in my pocket (it would be alone and/or with nothing sharp) but about situations where I need to set it down on a desk, in a bin with other stuff to go through a metal detector, etc (as well as the freak occurrence of dropping the Treo). Some basic protection there just seems like a good idea, even though I will have the Sprint insurance.

I appreciate any help I can get! I've read through many threads in the Accessories forum to minimize any reposting, but I haven't found any direct answers to these questions from any substantial number of users. Also, as many cases can not unfortunately be found in local stores, I can't just go out and look/feel the case myself, so user input is really helpful. Once again, thanks for any help!
    Check out egrips. I use egrips, plus a screen protector, and no case. It works great.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    I use the Sena Leatherskin case without the beltclip and a screen protector. Case is very thin and slips in and out of pocket easily. www.senacases.com
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    i also cary my 650 exclusively in my front pocket, and use a rhino skin aluminum hard case for a 600. it's easy to get in and out, and the times that i have dropped it, the 650 was unscathed. it does add a bit of bulkiness, but for me, the added protection is worth it.
    it's not a crack house, it's a crack home.
    I'm using the Krussell case which is very slim. Adds almost no thickness to the Treo. I keep it in my front pant pocket most of the time. Only problem I have is lint getting into the earpiece cutouts.
    Just started keeping treo in pocket have all the above cases and find I like the feel of the palm one latch case easy to get in and out of my pockets

Fred
    I use the sena case without flip and clip. Works great with slacks, still fits when i wear jeans, but it can be a little tight. Just have to be careful.

The leather case allows the phone to slip in and out nicely, using grips or a skin case may have a tacky feeling and may catch more. But definitely use a screen protector just in case.

As far as resets go, none so far. I was in your boat as well, read up a lot before I purhcased my treo. I was expecting this phone to be resetting on me and have all these problems, but when it came in I have yet to have a crash. The only sort reset I had to do was when I upgraded the treo software to 1.08 with the patch and when I installed a few packages. Good luck.
    I should also mention that without the sena case, the treo can be tight in my front pocket with jeans. The sena case (and probably most slim leather cases) do not add any real thickness to the device. They really don't do much in protecting the phone from a drop since the leather is so thin, but it helps when holding the phone and keeping the phone from getting scratched when tossed on the desk.
    I also reccomend the sena case. I have been very happy with it and it offers good protection.
    Pilottreo1
  10.    #10  
    Wow, lots of good info so far (thanks everybody and keep it coming!).

I'm actually a little surprised that in the responses so far not one person has said s/he uses a silicone skin case (which is what I had assumed most pocket users had). Are the silicone cases that unpopular for pocket use then?

Regarding the Sena case (which seems to be the most popular option so far), I have a couple of concerns. It costs $40, which is twice what a silicone case would cost, and seems like a lot for a simple leather case even in the world of over-priced accessories (are there any cheaper slim leather cases that are good, except perhaps for the Palm one)? Also, I'm perplexed as to why they left the corners uncovered by the case, as they're prime sites for impact/scratches.

For those who have the Sena Leatherskin case, does the button latch on top add a lot of thickness to that part of the case? And have you noticed any wearing of the thin leather from use (a different forum had comments from a user that the Sena case has really thin leather strips at key stress points)?
    To me the skins seem to combine promise with inevitable disappointment -- lint, difficulty of pulling in and out of pocket seem inevitable, drop protection is minimal, and under the best of circumstances you'd probably have to replace every 8-12 months. Personally when I see the number of people asking whether you can use the silicone in conjunction with X or Y case makes me think why not just get a case (or two) that suits you?

Having said that, I'm still shopping. The Krussell is okay for now, but I'm looking for something I can stick in my pocket without fear, lets me take out the T650 fast, and allows me access to the keyboard fairly quickly and without intervening plastic. Am thinking of the Innopocket, especially the fabled magnesium one, but if anyone knows of a place in New York City where one can see/touch the Sena cases I'd like to hear about it.
    I use the skin, but don't worry about lint because it's also in the PalmOne Form Fit case. I sprinkled baby powder on the silicone to eliminate the tackiness. The form fit's beltclip would probably add too much bulk for you, but every inch of my Treo is protected except for the antenna. I lightly scratched a former Treo on my fireplace brick by just laying it down and dripped ice cream into the nav pad. Now, there will be no exposure ever. The plastic over the keys actually helps the grip of the keys when typing.
    Quote Originally Posted by victoras

Regarding the Sena case (which seems to be the most popular option so far), I have a couple of concerns. It costs $40, which is twice what a silicone case would cost, and seems like a lot for a simple leather case even in the world of over-priced accessories (are there any cheaper slim leather cases that are good, except perhaps for the Palm one)? Also, I'm perplexed as to why they left the corners uncovered by the case, as they're prime sites for impact/scratches.
    Agreed on both counts. The case is kind of underwhelming when you open the box (I paid $40 for this small, thin piece of leather?). Most cases of this type however are in the 30-40 range with exceptions like the Palm one which is pretty thick and not very nice looking and the leather ain't all that great.

I do like the way the Sena case feels and as stated before it does slip in and out of a pocket rather easily. Not sure why the case doesn't protect the bottom edges but that wasn't a deal breaker for me.

Quote Originally Posted by victoras
    For those who have the Sena Leatherskin case, does the button latch on top add a lot of thickness to that part of the case? And have you noticed any wearing of the thin leather from use (a different forum had comments from a user that the Sena case has really thin leather strips at key stress points)?
    The button latch at the top does not add a lot of thickness to the top in my opinion.

Haven't noticed wearing of the leather yet but have only had it for a few weeks. The leather does pucker a little around the volume keys on the left hand side but it's not a huge deal.
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    I bought several different cases and I was determined to find one I was happy with as a pocket user. I bought a silicone skin case for 5 bucks on ebay and have been very happy with it. It does stick a little bit, but I wear slacks 90 percent of the time and even though it sticks a little bit coming in and out it also gives you the peace of mind knowing that when you step out of your car or whatever, that it's not going to go flying out of your pocket. I love the silicone case. You might have to replace it every so often but they are very cheap. I'm sure that if you buy the 650 that you are going to buy a bunch of cases anyway (everyone does) and you will decide which one you like. Great phone, you wont be dissapointed. Just dont load it down with a bunch of junk and you'll miss out on the resets.