1.    #1  
    I just received my Treo 650 very sweeet. My company only supports the Dark side (BB) and I cannot acces our exchange server via IMAP. Now I can forward my emails from Outlook to a 3rd party (Yahoo, Gmail or even Tmobile) ,which works fine. My main challenge is is I would like to use an 'alias' when I send email to my clients so it does not look like it comes from Yahoo or Gmail but from my coporate email. So when they reply it goes to my exchange server and I only need to check one email addres.

1. Does Versamail, Snappermail or Chattermail provide this functionality (have looked on websites but cannot find).

2. Or do I need to do this at the provider level (Yahoo, Gmail) I think fastmail can provide this service but it is another $39,-

I don't want to insult the Treo forum gods but I really spent a lot of time figuring this out but cannot make it work so all help is appreciated!
    Quote Originally Posted by muka1024
    ...My main challenge is is I would like to use an 'alias' when I send email to my clients so it does not look like it comes from Yahoo or Gmail but from my coporate email. So when they reply it goes to my exchange server and I only need to check one email addres.

1. Does Versamail, Snappermail or Chattermail provide this functionality (have looked on websites but cannot find)...
    In SnapperMail (and probably the other two products as well) you can set up any number of email accounts. When replying to an email, you merely have to tap the "From:" box to get a drop down of all of your accounts and choose the one from which you wish to reply.
    Chatter provides the same functionality, and goes one further - you can have different send profiles (from, reply-to, sig, etc) even for separate folders within a single account.

However, I would talk the situation over with your email administrators. As a sysadmin myself, I would much rather have my users retrieving their company email via an SSL'd POP or IMAP connection, than have them forward it in the clear to an unknown third-party host. If your admins give a hoot about security, they surely must offer some sort of solution.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    chatter.

check out the existing comparison threads for more information.
    I know snappermail does not...but if you subscribe to Sprint Business Connection they provide a program that will. I heard that it is pretty powerful.
    Need information on Real Estate, Please contact me!!!
    www.TheMMTeam.com
    Quote Originally Posted by J0V3
    I know snappermail does not...
    Wrong. Read Reply #2.
    Chatter provides multiple SMTP (outgoing) mail profiles for the same account, so you can have multiple identities using one account. Also, Chatter has a Summary mailbox which consolidates all the emails from multiple accounts into one inbox, and you can color code each account. This is a really neat feature. Chatter supports both IMAP and POP3. It is an excellent application, I highly recommend it.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    to me, the 650 is worthless as an email device without chatter... with chatter, it is a thing of beauty
  9.    #9  
    Thanks guys this really helped. I have installed Chatter and it works well with my POP3 accounts. Now my question is should I go for IMAP? Do you use Chatter with IMAP or POP3?

It seems IMAP gives the fastest easiest results (especially with attachments). I have a paid Yahoo account, Gmail (both just POP3) and my company email but it is probably impossible to get to the Exchange server (inside firewall).

So now I consider taking a Fastmail account, although it will be another $40 bucks or so and I have no idea if I can stay in their volume boundaries. Anybody experience with these guys? Or should I just stick with POP3?

Thanks again for the help. I am falling in love with the Treo although I am worried about the call volume
    IMAP gives you the advantage of "push" email on the Treo. The minute the email hits your inbox on the server, you will get it "pushed" to your Treo. I use it for my work account from 8-5. The rest of my personal stuff and after hours is all POP, as I check it every so often.

I also keep all my email on my PC, so I have my PC check email and download it but leave it on the server so Chatter will see it. When I delete it from Chatter then it is gone for good. I dont use the Treo to archive email, as that is not its intended function. IMAP lets you keep large archives of email online and accessible to your Treo if you need that function.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by muka1024
    Thanks guys this really helped. I have installed Chatter and it works well with my POP3 accounts. Now my question is should I go for IMAP? Do you use Chatter with IMAP or POP3?

It seems IMAP gives the fastest easiest results (especially with attachments). I have a paid Yahoo account, Gmail (both just POP3) and my company email but it is probably impossible to get to the Exchange server (inside firewall).

So now I consider taking a Fastmail account, although it will be another $40 bucks or so and I have no idea if I can stay in their volume boundaries. Anybody experience with these guys? Or should I just stick with POP3?

Thanks again for the help. I am falling in love with the Treo although I am worried about the call volume
    IMHO, POP is a time waster in two ways. First, if you delete the POP email, you typically have to delete it when you get to your PC (double the effort).

Second, its really not push email...you usually have to have your email client reach out and check your email at set intervals. If you want to check your email, IMAP is much more efficient.

Until Gmail goes IMAP, you can have your gmail forwarded to a fastmail account (archived afterward on your 1gb account) and then set up your outgoing profile so that it 'looks' like you sent it from your gmail account.

YMMV