1.    #1  
    Hello. I have read all the fixes, what to do and what not to do when activating the Treo 650. So last week, I obtained a Treo 650. Loaded the new ROM update from Sprint right off.

The first program I loaded was Uninstaller Manager from NorthGlide. This is an amazing program that I will never be without in the future.

Then I proceeded to load only the programs that I use on regular basis (and that were on the compatibilities list for the Treo 650:
    Agendus
    BackUp Man
    Epocrates
    PowerRUN
    HandyShopper
    Audacity DVR Pro

I had 10+ MB available after loading these programs on.

When the Treo 650 was working, it worked well.

If I was in a bad signal area or had to reset, the Treo 650 was useless. I got sick of looking at the PalmOne screen or just a white screen. After a 5 to 10 minutes the, phone may come up or just say “Network Search” for another 5 to 10 minutes.

The red power/signal on & off button was useless during these frozen times. I keep have to reset, then the whole problem would start again.

Working in hospitals, the signal is very “ify”. If the Treo 650 locks up every time I do not have a good signal, then this is a problem.

Being a physician in private practice, this is unacceptable. I had to reactivate my Treo 600. Compared to the 650, the 600 is not pretty but it works.

Is there anything that TreoCentral members can say to convince me to keep my Treo 650? I desperately want to use this 650 on an everyday basis, just like my Treo 600, because the screen and swappable batteries are highly desirable features to me.

What ticks me off is that I did everything right:

- waited until the problems were fixed
    - waited for an ROM update
    - learned what programs work and which ones do not
    - carefully loaded only the necessary programs

After doing all this, it still is going back (unless I am convinced otherwise)

I ask my fellow Treo Central members to please be able to tell some fix(es) for the Treo 650 that will convince me that this is a reliable device.

Thank you for any assistance you can offer,
    Russell
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    It's your money and your work environment. If the phone isn't working out, take it back. Encouragement from TC users isn't going to enhance your signal strength at work.
    Well, I live in rural Georgia and work in Jacksonville, Fl. Signal in the city and at my home is NOT an issue. However, it is in many of the places I go. Out on the river, west of I-95, etc. I decided very early on to go with Sprint's "no roaming" (Free & Clear America ). I don't always have perfect signal, but I've never experienced any sort of freezes with regards to a signal loss (other than a split second while gaming, as the phone attempts to regain signal, but nothing like your describing). Does your 600 get signal in the places you've described your 650 not working? If that's the case, exchange it. My 650 has never failed me where my 600 wouldn't in this respect. Hope that helps. Its a great phone, but like many great pieces of technology it has its quirks.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
  4.    #4  
    aldamon: Thanks for your input. Too bad there is no prayer for a stronger signal

DrDoom: The PDA function of my Treo 600 works seamlessly, even in places where the signal is lousy or non existent. If the signal is bad, I can tell it is looking for it, but it at least works.

Even in places where there is an excellent signal, the Treo 650 takes forever to find a signal and begin functioning. This happens after resets and changing the battery.

Also, when I was using Agendus yesterday, it froze up, requiring a reset.

With all these different things causing freeze ups, I doubt it is solely an issue with the signal.

Besides exchanging it, any other ideas?

Thanks for your input.
    Russell
    Perhaps try using the "Virgin" phone for a day or two, and then start installing apps one at a time. See if you can pinpoint the cause of the long network search.
  6.    #6  
    Rome: great idea. I will try it.

Thanks,
    Russell
    Using the "virgin" phone is your best bet. If it doesnt work clean, then it definitely has to go back. I decided against Sprint because their coverage where I live is poor, but poor coverage doesn't explain the resets and slow performance.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    I know you said above that you had read all the fixes, but have you disabled the "Enable Local Network Time" option in the Date & Time Prefs? I seem to remember somewhere in this very long thread (here ) that having the local network time enabled and being in a low signal area could cause the problems you're having.
  9.    #9  
    topher: I had read the "Enable Local Network Time" problem thread also. I did not think it was the same problem, but I did not see the mention of the low signal area. I will try the "virgin" phone and disable "Enable Local Network Time".

Thanks,
    Russell
    Quote Originally Posted by Fender Doc
    DrDoom: The PDA function of my Treo 600 works seamlessly, even in places where the signal is lousy or non existent. If the signal is bad, I can tell it is looking for it, but it at least works.
    Just so I can be sure I'm clear, your 650 DOESN'T work (PDA functions) in places where your signal is low? If that's the case then you definitely need an exchange. Still, the "virgin" phone (for a minute I thought you were talking about the prepaid company and I thought to myself "Wow. They have Virgin Mobile Treo 650's?" ) idea is the best. See if it's an app issue, but definitely try a replacement before you give up entirely.
    Good luck.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    topher: I had read the "Enable Local Network Time" problem thread also. I did not think it was the same problem, but I did not see the mention of the low signal area. I will try the "virgin" phone and disable "Enable Local Network Time".

Thanks,
    Russell

Knew it was in there somewhere... post #181 in that thread...

Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson
    Yes this shows that you have the potential to have some very unexpected things happen to your 650. It may be that you never see the problem but changes are, you will see adverse affects by having this option checked. The 1980 date you see is what applications have the chance of seeing every time you power up your phone's radio or when your phone goes out of coverage and searches for a signal.

Jeff

Hope this helps. The 650 really can be a great device.
  12.    #12  
    topher: Thanks for the research. Those long threads get tiresome to read.

DrDoom: You are not the only one who thought "Virgin" was the phone company. At first, I thought the same thing you did.

Thanks guys for your help,
    Russell
    Take it back if you're not happy.
    Try the virgin setup. Epocrates would cause my 650 to crash so I had to uninstall it. I never have any crashes (none) and got them constantly with Epocrates. I know that others are using it without problem, but it must have conflicted with something that was already on my 650. I uninstalled it and everything is perfect again.
    I thought you were supposed to keep your phone turned off in hospitals?
    Just picking nits....
    Gregg G. - New Orleans, LA
    Treo 700p on Sprint
    Send it back!

Hello. I have read all the fixes, what to do and what not to do when activating the Treo 650. So last week, I obtained a Treo 650. Loaded the new ROM update from Sprint right off.

The first program I loaded was Uninstaller Manager from NorthGlide. This is an amazing program that I will never be without in the future.

Then I proceeded to load only the programs that I use on regular basis (and that were on the compatibilities list for the Treo 650:
    Agendus
    BackUp Man
    Epocrates
    PowerRUN
    HandyShopper
    Audacity DVR Pro

I had 10+ MB available after loading these programs on.

When the Treo 650 was working, it worked well.

If I was in a bad signal area or had to reset, the Treo 650 was useless. I got sick of looking at the PalmOne screen or just a white screen. After a 5 to 10 minutes the, phone may come up or just say “Network Search” for another 5 to 10 minutes.

The red power/signal on & off button was useless during these frozen times. I keep have to reset, then the whole problem would start again.

Working in hospitals, the signal is very “ify”. If the Treo 650 locks up every time I do not have a good signal, then this is a problem.

Being a physician in private practice, this is unacceptable. I had to reactivate my Treo 600. Compared to the 650, the 600 is not pretty but it works.

Is there anything that TreoCentral members can say to convince me to keep my Treo 650? I desperately want to use this 650 on an everyday basis, just like my Treo 600, because the screen and swappable batteries are highly desirable features to me.

What ticks me off is that I did everything right:

- waited until the problems were fixed
    - waited for an ROM update
    - learned what programs work and which ones do not
    - carefully loaded only the necessary programs

After doing all this, it still is going back (unless I am convinced otherwise)

I ask my fellow Treo Central members to please be able to tell some fix(es) for the Treo 650 that will convince me that this is a reliable device.

Thank you for any assistance you can offer,
    Russell
    I have seen many users having problems with:

Agendus
    BackUp Man
    Epocrates

IIRC, most of the problems with Agendus were solved with recent patches. I think most problems with BackupMan were solved but there were a few remaining. I don't recalls eeing any fixes or epocrates.

Handyshopper and PowerRun are not the problem.....just too many people using those buggers. I'd start with a hard reset. Install the Northglide stuff on 1st Hot sync and sue the phone for 2 or 3 days. If no problems, install Handyshopper / PowerRun and again sue for a few days.

BTW, install no more than ONE program per HotSync, that gives Uninstall Manager wan easier time tracking what goes with what.

Install BackupMan and go a few days.....follow with Agendus for a few days and then Epocrates.
    Fender Doc, if I were you, I'd get it replaced anyway. Then start again with the careful install of the apps as suggested here. My Cingular Treo has been flawless for 2 months but then again I don't have Audacity, Epocrates, Agendus, and Backupman. I remember these apps being mentioned a few times in many reset complaints.They might be alright in some Treo 650s' but you might have a software in there that just does not go with these combo.
    Ed
    Visor Deluxe, Prism, Visorphone, Treo 270, Treo 600, Treo 650, and am eagerly waiting for the next generation Treo...but wait...is that the iPhone????
    Fender Doc,

If the signal strength is the problem (as mine was for 1 yr with T-Mobile) - then you should return it. Without a good signal in the hospitals, the phone was useless to me - no matter how many features it had.

I just recently switched to Cingular 650 and at least in my areas, the signal strength is equal to that of Verizon's (the benchmark based on my colleagues' phones). So far, I've not experienced a single reset; I only have Epocrates, Docs2Go, MerckMedicus, and a few other pgms loaded.

Your phone sounds defective, but I think the useability in your target areas should be the reason to return it.