Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Verizon is supposed to release the Treo 650 and Samsung i730 soon, possibly next week.

Considering all the problems people have had with the Treo 650, I am wondering if I should go with the i730 instead?

I have a Treo 600, which has worked just fine, but it seems the Treo 650 has taken one step forward and two steps backwards.

Not sure if the i730 is any better as it runs Win Mobile 2003 but it is going to EV-DO capable and rumored to have WiFi and BT.

Any thoughts from the group?
    Quote Originally Posted by drrjv
    Verizon is supposed to release the Treo 650 and Samsung i730 soon, possibly next week.

Considering all the problems people have had with the Treo 650, I am wondering if I should go with the i730 instead?

I have a Treo 600, which has worked just fine, but it seems the Treo 650 has taken one step forward and two steps backwards.

Not sure if the i730 is any better as it runs Win Mobile 2003 but it is going to EV-DO capable and rumored to have WiFi and BT.

Any thoughts from the group?
    The Treo 650 had way too many issues upon release, but since then the 1.08 update from Sprint has addressed nearly all of them. So if you are going to get a Treo 650, get it from Sprint. And stay a mile away from any PocketPC device.
    It is true that the update has fixed many of my crashing issues (all maybe) and certainly freeded up more memory. Now the device works 'as advertised' ;-) If you want the next bump up from the 600, then this is a good upgrade. If you think it will meet your needs based upon the specs, then get it.
    Global Posts
    313 Global Posts
    the verizon version probably has all the fixes of 1.08. That's why they waited to introduce it. the 650 was usable without the fix, and great with it. not perfect yet, but the best out there.
    Henry L lazarus hlazar@netaxs.com
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/god.html
    ...but then heard it was Verizon only. I was hoping for BT 1.2, which MIGHT have made me consider Verizon, but no such luck. EV-DO would be nice, but it isn't available where I live, only where I work. On top of all that, Verizon is just too damn expensive. Sorry, but I just can't see "upgrading" to a phone whose features would require me to pay $50 a month versus $15.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    According to phonescooop, the release of the i730 is not that close http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=667
    And, Samsung has a really bad history of meeting projected release dates in the US. The i500 was about a year late beyond when they said they'd get it out. So, there's no guarantee it'll be out that soon.
    The i730 is also quite a bit bigger that the 650.
    If you want EV-DO, don't mind the brick-sizing, prefer windows to the palm OS and have patience, then you might want to wait for the i730.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman
    The i730 is also quite a bit bigger that the 650.
    If you want EV-DO, don't mind the brick-sizing, prefer windows to the palm OS and have patience, then you might want to wait for the i730
    Samsung @ 4.49" x 2.28" x 0.97" vs
    Treo 650 @ 4.40" x 2.30" x 0.90"

Considering the advantages, that 10th of an inch is a very small difference.

The i730ís got a significantly larger screen (despite its 240 x 320 resolution), a faster processor, more memory and EV-DO. I also suspect it will be more stable than the 650. The pluses on the Treo side are easier one hand operation with itís slick 5 way control and more accessible keyboard plus more palm software.

Iíve been using a Treo 600 since it first came out. I had a Treo 300 before it and have bought my wife and daughter each a 650. While Iíve generally preferred palm to MS Iím waiting for the i730. EV-DO is much too exciting IMHO.

Iíll consider switching back to sprint when their EV-DO coverage is comparable.

Pete
    Don't forget all of those Palm programs you probably bought. If you switch to Pocket PC, they are all useless. For me, that represents quite a bit of money.
    Well, let's see:

650 vs. i730

no WiFi - WiFi
    320x320 - 240x320 (bit bigger)
    32MB RAM - 64MB RAM (but on the Windows OS, so it NEEDS much more)
    size about the same, but i730 much taller with keyboard out
    both have touch screens
    one speaker - stereo speakers

These appear to be directly comparable devices. A detailed comparison will show that neither device has everything, but both look pretty darn good, really. I'd say it would be best to go with the OS you prefer. Either the one designed for this platform from the ground up or the bloated one designed for familiarity with Windows users.

Certainly MS ActiveSync syncs better with Outlook, but the Palm does well also, though it takes longer and will not happen automatically, but only when you tell it to.
    Now don't get me wrong, I'm a Treo fan, but how is our OS "built for this"? I'm assuming you mean mobility, and Palm was not built for cellphones. The dialing delay we experience proves that. The other thing is the size difference. There is very little size difference, and the way some people keep nit picking it just proves that many of us are "blinded" by our Treo's. I have been. Now I'm just starting to open my mind to the possibilities out there. Not switching (for now). Just keeping an open mind. Don't limit yourself people, you might regret it one day.
    It'll be fun.
    Battery life on the i730 is a major question mark in my mind.....
  12.    #12  
    Great feedback.

Big question with the i730:

-battery life

-will V$W allow WiFi

-will BT work (or be crippled)

-when will it be released

-does Win Mobile crash more - same - or less than Treo 650
    does anyone know if the samsung has a 3.5 headphone jack?
    Quote Originally Posted by drrjv
    Great feedback.

Big question with the i730:

-battery life

-will V$W allow WiFi

-will BT work (or be crippled)

-when will it be released

-does Win Mobile crash more - same - or less than Treo 650
    Battery: Havent read anything yet, but chances are the treo will win this battle.

Wifi: VZ- SD cards are already providing it-and people are demanding it. I say yes.

BT: I would be shocked if BT was crippled. My 6600 is full active.

Release: With samsung it could be 2006.

Crashes: My 6600 crashes far less than my 600 or 650 did. 2003SE is rock solid.

-rob
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    It is said to be shipping the Blackberry connect as well....

Engadget reported this yesterday:
    http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000777039543/

Verizon to intro Samsungís i730 Pocket PC Phone this coming week?

Donít want to get anybodyís hopes up too high, but we just received a tip that next week is supposed to be the week when Verizon Wireless finally starts carring Samsungís new EV-DO compatible i730 Pocket PC Phone (you know, the one with the slide-out QWERTY keyboard, 1.3 megapixel digital camera, Bluetooth, and WiFi). Weíll keep you posted.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Also for pics of the IR remote control software that it comes with look here:

http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/c...index.php?p=s6

Finally, Remote Control software is included to make use of the full-spectrum infrared (IR) port. Yes, the i730 can control your whole home-entertainment system:

another excerpt:

VoiceSignal software provides speaker-independent voice-dialing. It's fully integrated with the hardware, with a dedicated button on the side, and full support for voice-dialing via a Bluetooth headset.

Oh, and the most important part:

although they couldn't make any official promises, the Samsung engineers I spoke with said the i730 was specifically designed to be forward-compatible with the the next version of Windows Mobile (Magneto), and pending carrier approval, (which is not guaranteed,) Samsung does plan to offer a software upgrade to that OS for the i730.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    The other thing is the size difference. There is very little size difference, and the way some people keep nit picking it just proves that many of us are "blinded" by our Treo's.
    First, I've only had my T650 for a few weeks now -- my very first Palm device. I have used Windows CE (before PPC). And I basically waited all this time to make the move to a PDA phone exactly because they are generally too big to be kept on one's person all the time -- meaning worn on a belt, etc.

To whit, my first stab at convergence was a Nokia 6820... which did fairly well, except that it never delivered on the promise of push email (blackberry integration) in the U.S.

As for Palm vs. PPC the jury is still very much out for me. I tend to abhore the PPC devices *mostly* because in order to get a keyboard you have to attach a sloppy extension (keyboard) to it, or go with the compromise of a flip or slide-out keyboard. That's OK... but I'm *always* using the keyboard. So, for all practical purposes, I'm not going to consider the measurements of the device when it's *closed* but rather when it's *open*. And that PPC device opened up is really quite a bit longer (if not wider) than the 650. End of story.

And for those of us who use these devices in places (like cars) where you can only really practically use them one-handed -- and let's be honest... we all wind up doing that -- having something that I need to use two hands to pull out a keyboard to use when I'm travelling 70MPH on the highway just isn't practical.

YMMV.

Bill
    In all honesty, I think it's dangerous to try to dial, look up appts., etc. and look at the road at the same time. Unless Voice Command is available. 70MPH?? You're a brave guy, LOL!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Great thread .... Ilve been mulling around this issue.
    While I'm a hugh Treo / Palm OS Fan, my buddy is lokking to purchase his first convergance device. Knowing my Treo experience (resets, unusable Versamail, etc) I've suggested the i730 to him.
    Most of the comparisons above are very fair. It comes down to the OS. It's a lot different for someone who has nevered owned either device

( PS. On the train, on my way to Baltimore. I love this thing!)
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    ...were your Versamail issues pre or post V.1.08 (assuming your on Sprint)? I've used Snappermail all this time, but it was taking up too much room, so I moved it to the SD card. Then I discovered the "agenda" view in the built it calender app! How cool! I can't believe Datebook doesn't have this! Anyway, there's Versamail at the bottom, and I think to myself "You know, its already in memory, and you're a casual emailer. Attachments and spreadsheets and all the other things Snapper promises are things you've almost NEVER used!". So I set it up. That was yesterday. So far? So good. The only thing I haven't done it see if it will do automatic updates. Based on the times I put down those should start today. So you see, here's a case where I bought two programs (Snapper & Datebook) and am considering going back to what came with the phone! Moreso on Snapper than Datebook. Agenda view is awesome, but DB handles a lot of stuff for me that I'm not sure the default calender app would!
    It'll be fun.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast