Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    There must be a team inside PalmOne who's job it is to test the phones. Let's see...they did not discover the 10 second lag in dialing, the volume problems, the resets...

Who is that team? Is that us? Who is and who is not doing their job at PalmOne?
    yes, it is your job.

It is your job to pay $600-700 to beta test the Treo for F1.

Why test internally , when you people will pay you for the priviledge?

Welcome to the world of F1. Embarassing.
    a bunch of lazy idiots
    Man, this whining is getting sooooo old. I wish the Treo 700 comes out soon so you guys can move on to that forum and leave this one alone.

Oh, and my 650 works fine.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    Whoa! Hey! Wait a sec! Haven't you seen the polls!? Everyone's 'very happy' or 'happy' with their Treo! There are 10's of thousands of happy users out there! What are you complaining about!?

Blah, blah, blah...

Sorry, I'm still bitter about having to get rid of mine...cause it sucked!
    Cingular T650
    ...now back to Motorola and a Zire 72!
    Right, sorry we're whiners.

Imagine the 10's of thousands who ditched their Treo's who never took a poll on treocentral.com.
    Cingular T650
    ...now back to Motorola and a Zire 72!
    What's wrong with waiting 10 secs to dial a number? So what if you accidentally hang up your calls... What do you mean you can't dim your Sprint 650 keyboard, just buy a 3rd party app to turn it off...

Look I'm sick of all these threads about the T650 sucks, blah blah blah, if you don't like it go buy a simple nokia.

What did you really think they would beta test the T650 1st before releasing it and notice the dialing delays and all the other bugs?

Like Zboater said my buggy T650 works fine, go find another board
    "They say my ghetto instrumental detrimental to kids, as if they can't see the misery in which they live." Krazy -Tupac Shakur

"Should we cry when the pope die? My request, we should cry if they cried when we buried Malcom X." Blasphemy - Tupac Shakur
    Zboater,
    Do you really want to see a Treo 700?

- a whopping 48MB RAM (still not enough)
    - still old Bluetooth version, and still flakey
    - still underpowered/slow
    - Another round of numerous bugs, made worse by OS 6.0 (Cobalt).
    - still legacy com port synch...no high speed usb 2.0
    - a 1.0 MP camera...whoopee.

I hope they get it right in Nov...but their track record isn't great.
    My guess would be that the carriers (Cingular & Sprint) themselves had a part in the testing. Would that explain it, you think?
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    Zboater,

OK, so now you've made a start at defining what many WANT in a phone/pda device. Using the criteria above, what is the device that meets all of these today and is 100% stable?
    Quote Originally Posted by zelgo
    I'm equally sick of folks that keep yelling, "Just buy a 3rd party application that fixes the problems the treo has." If these applications are so cheap, as you whiners claim, would one of you mind buying me some???

This just amplifies that Treo didn't think really hard about what people need when they use this thing. I bet you the Treo 700 will have alot of those applications built in.
    History suggests that it is more likely that one will have to buy new versions of applications that one already has. For example, I had to buy a new version of PDANet because the 650 broke the one that I had working on my 600.

Quote Originally Posted by zelgo
    This reminds me of the Window ME debacle. You guys were probably the same folks who said, "Leave it if you don't like it, blah, blah, blah."
    Sligthly different if only to the extent that your use or not of third party applications on your Treo does not impact me. Your failure to use virus scanning or firewalls on your Windows ME system does.
    Zboater,
    Do you really want to see a Treo 700

hope they get it right in Nov...but their track record isn't great.
    How many years and models to Wi-Fi? We could almost run a pool.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlkLegGT
    ...Imagine the 10's of thousands who ditched their Treo's who never took a poll on treocentral.com.
    That argument is circular ... imagine all the people who KEPT their Treos and are happy with them and are not whining....
    Cingular Treo 650
    Zboater,

Listen, its not that I dont understand your argument. Its that I have heard is soooooooo many times with sooooooo many Palm releases. The first one that catches my memory was the Palm IIIc, the first "color" palm, and all the doom and gloom that followed, people complaining about the screen, about the memory, about this, about that, about how Handspring was going to eat their lunch -- and that was what? 8 years ago?

[RANT ON]

The fact is that this is simple economics - there is a small group of people, many of which frequent these boards, who are on the "bleeding" edge of technology and they do just that - bleed a lot. I count myself among them. That problem is that WE are not a large enough group for large companies to be setting their sales strategies to. Sure, they could make a Treo with a 1Ghz processor, 1GB of RAM and a 12" LCD screen, but they would get away from their "magical" price point where their marketing studies tell them this thing will sell enough to make it worth making. That is why they cut corners, leave things off, etc, and in the process **** of most of us (the geeks that know better ). For the "masses", the Treo 650 is just an amazing piece of hardware, and it is selling like HOTCAKES!!!! They can't keep it stocked. And that is the goal - sell enough of them to recoup their investment and make LOTS of PROFIT. Its called CAPITALISM. Get over it.

My Treo works fine. I have no delays in dialing, no more resets (recently ), no lockups, no slowdowns. It works fine. I can make calls, receive calls, lookup contacts and keep track of my calendar. Anything over and above that (like me trying to take videos on my Treo and trying to upload them directly to my personal website using FTP right from the Treo) is just plain geekiness that I do at MY OWN RISK!!!!

[RANT OFF]

Ok, I feel better now.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Quote Originally Posted by ZBoater
    ........My Treo works fine. I have no delays in dialing, no more resets (recently ), no lockups, no slowdowns. It works fine. I can make calls, receive calls, lookup contacts and keep track of my calendar. Anything over and above that (like me trying to take videos on my Treo and trying to upload them directly to my personal website using FTP right from the Treo) is just plain geekiness that I do at MY OWN RISK!!!!

[RANT OFF]

Ok, I feel better now.
    I am happy for you. However, one can do all of that with a Motorola for $100-. P1 is trying to have it both ways. They want to command the premium price while offering "just good enough" function. They want to be the best PDA and the best smartphone. In practice they compromise both. That is why they must rely upon Sprint to subsidize the price. Most of us who pay $700- are entitled to expect more than to just make calls.
    It is your job to pay $600-700 to beta test the Treo for F1.

Welcome to the world of F1. Embarassing.
    Mikec: The only F1 I know of, is Formula 1 racing. Are you deliberately using using F1 instead of P1 to refer to PalmOne, or is it simply a typo? If deliberate, what is the derivation or significance? I'm genuinely curious, because I've now seen you refer to F1 in several different places.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    I suspect that people who are "whiners" have a problem with some feature on the phone, which is somehow preventing them from using it. And the people who are "happy" are probably not using any of it's buggy features. But it is silly to say that "my phone works just fine", because we all have the same phone, with the same bugs. There is no "good" phone, or a "bad" phone, they are all the same. Some people just have not hit on the bugs. Ignorance is bliss.
    jetkins,

I'll let you use your imagination. It's not a typo.

whmurray is completely correct...F1 wants it both ways. You cannot charge a premium for the device, yet provide commodity function. If the Treo was $199, we are not having these debates.

As far as the "perfect" smartphone, I guess that depends on the person, but I can tell you for $700, I expect tiptop function and performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    ...Most of us who pay $700- are entitled to expect more than to just make calls.
    Well, if we are going to get technical the 650 represents the convergence of two devices - a PDA and a phone. Now, we can debate all day long what a PDA is and is not supposed to do, but the PDA concept is clearly meant as a companion to a PC, as "assistant" to manage "personal data" (hence, the PDA name ) So, as far as managing contacts, calendar, tasks and memos, and converge that with a phone, the Treo does what its supposed to do.

PDAs have obviously gotten very sophisticated, to the point that some geeks out there are trying to take videos on the darn things and upload them using FTP to a website right from the device without ever touching a PC (the nerve!!!! ) They take pictures, voice memos, videos, run all sorts of apps from databases to word processors to spreadsheets to presentations. Thus, the PDA has strayed off its course from a PC "assistant" to almost a standalone portable computer. It can certainly do more than any portable computer could 15 years ago.

Now, what is the point? The point is that other computing platforms have gone through similar "growing pains" and evolved along with more powerful hardware and OSes. I like to compare the Palm OS journey to that of DOS - Windows 3.1 - Windows 95 - Windows NT - Windows XP. That was a loooooong and painful journey, but we can probably agree that compared to XP, DOS was a DOG. However, at the time it came out, DOS was quite remarkable.

Palm OS is going through a similar journey. I wish companies could throw caution (and profits) to the wind and come out with the right device right now, screw shareholders and screw wall street. But, that is not realistic. They have to go in steps, make money, take another step, make more money, wait for the market to catch up, take another step, and make more money. That is how the system works.

The Treo650 was really not meant to be sold as a $700 device. Its being sold that way to meet the demands of a very specific market, but most Treos are being subsidized by carriers because $350 is a magic price point that many people are willing to pay. As you stray off $350 into $400 and $500 territory, less and less people sign on to this thing, and when you get to the $700 folks (like you), you will seem almost fanatic to the $350 folks (no offense ) PalmOne has to sell a ton of these to make money, and a $700 price point without carrier subsidy was just not going to cut it.

I think the Treo is superior to other phones from Motorola and Nokia in the fact that it does have such widespread 3rd party app support, and I can do things like run a dictionary, figure out a car loan payment, and literally hundreds of other uses that Motorola and Nokia just cant touch. But, with that functionality comes risk - risk of 3rd party non-certified developers, hackers, betas, and all sorts of other garbage floating around the net. If you are going to be in the bleeding edge, like I said, be prepared to bleed. I have regular transfusions due to my constant bleeding, and my edge is already dull due to the constant cutting myself I do, but it sure is fun...
    Cingular Treo 650
    Tell them about it, sign the petition at www.treo650update.com if you haven't already.

Thanks!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast