Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    The truth is this. Nothing is perfect. The Treo 650 is not. Are we beta testers? Yes! Most technology manufacturer decide, when determining when to release a product, whether to release now with some known bugs and get the customer base or wait until they are cleared and risk them buying the other manufacturer's stuff.

My Sprint unit has some lock ups on some outgoing and some incoming calls. The is much better than the unlocked GSM I had.

When I first got my Palm III, I had some of the same issues and/or beefs. It didn't have enough memory and they had left off the ability to cap across the line. The left the ability to turn off the backlight (or was it they left the backlight all together).

No one device will please all of us. Thank God for the Palm OS developers who quickly right most wrongs in the system.
    Looking for a way to earn additional income? One that allows you to not only market services people use everyday, but the services of the future too? This opportunity provides outstanding earning potential with ongoing training and support. You are in business for yourself but never by yourself. Stop imagining and start living.

Independent Representative
    Carl Brooks
    carl@techloyal.com
    http://www.techloyal.com
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    You cannot charge a premium for the device, yet provide commodity function.
    The automakers do it all the time... that's an invalid argument.

If you bought a premium device that only perfomed commodity functions, why on earth did you keep it? Why not return it and get something better suited to your needs? Nobody was forced to BUY a 650, nor were they forced to KEEP it if it didn't work the way they wanted it to.

I need to ask you this, Mike, since you own so many faulty 650's. Were they all purchased before you knew about the supposed shortcomings, or have you continued to purchase them knowing they don't do what you think they should?
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    As far as the "perfect" smartphone, I guess that depends on the person, but I can tell you for $700, I expect tiptop function and performance.
    As has been mentioned many times, no one is being forced to buy the thing...

I guess the point of my question is to ask, "What company has done a better job by offering a device of similar or improved level of capability with better stability and for a more reasonable price?"
    Zboater,

The problem with the "evolution" argument is that Palm has had many years to make it better, but had not.

When was the first Palm phone out? 1999? It's been 6 years, with lackluster progress (given the time).

Palm OS has been stuck in 3.x mode since 1997. Unlike Windows, which has gone from 95-95-2000-XP progressions, Palm has stay stagnant. (color, a kludgy network stack, and hi-res is all they have to show for themselves - with the same single tasking OS).
    And an PC OS is about 10,000 times more complicated.

And yes, the price is expected to be $700...carrier subsidies are just cost transfers. Anyway you slice it, it is a premium device.

In this day and age, A decent OS, 256MB, hi-res, BT 2.0 or at least 1.2), and wi-fi are the price of admission.
    ...And yes, the price is expected to be $700...carrier subsidies are just cost transfers. Anyway you slice it, it is a premium device.

In this day and age, A decent OS, 256MB, hi-res, BT 2.0 or at least 1.2), and wi-fi are the price of admission.
    May be "just" cost transfers, but that cost didnt come from MY wallet. What matters is what the customers pay.

And, as has been stated before many times, if it were easy, Microsoft would already have come up with a Palm killer. They constant put out devices with impressive hardware features, but Palm always seems to survive. I wonder why that is?

That may be the price of admission for you, but for thousands upon thousands of people who are happily buying and using their Treo 650's, their price was $350, and if the Treo Hapiness poll is any indication, over 80% of respondents are "happy" or "very happy", so PalmOne again beats the doom and gloom expectations and marches forward. I am willing to bet money we will have this exact same exchange with the Treo 900...
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jetkins
    Mikec: The only F1 I know of, is Formula 1 racing. Are you deliberately using using F1 instead of P1 to refer to PalmOne, or is it simply a typo? If deliberate, what is the derivation or significance? I'm genuinely curious, because I've now seen you refer to F1 in several different places.
    I think he means the other four-letter word.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZBoater
    .....That may be the price of admission for you, but for thousands upon thousands of people who are happily buying and using their Treo 650's, their price was $350, ..........
    True their price was $350- but their cost was $700- just like mine. They paid theirs by being locked in to long term contracts in a market where the price is falling. There is no such thing as a free lunch or a $350- Treo 650.
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    True their price was $350- but their cost was $700- just like mine. They paid theirs by being locked in to long term contracts in a market where the price is falling. There is no such thing as a free lunch or a $350- Treo 650.
    I guess anyone can find anything to complain about - if a newer cheaper plan comes along, most carriers try and stay competitive (with some exceptions, of course) and you can change your plan (with another contract extension). This suits most people just fine. That's not the point. The point is most people (the mass market PalmOne is targeting) is not going to shell out $700 for the advantage of being contract free.
    Cingular Treo 650
    oh, boo hoo...

It's the price you pay for being on the cutting edge, and this phone is the best of it's kind so far -- of course it isn't perfect, but that comes with being the first all in one. All of the complainers could have just waited until unbiased reviews were out. I read tons of reviews prior to getting mine and those of you who bought yours prior to getting reviews, well, any educated person would have known that this was a possible pitfall. I waited a few months, got mine after I read reviews that were right on the money. Call it doing research, being a smart consumer, or whatever, it needed to be done, especially for something this expensive. Yes, my treo is buggy with DUN, but I still like it. All of the reviews I've read mentioned compromises in certain features.

All you complainers can sell your treos on ebay and cut your losses or just deal with it.
    Mark,

The argument is completely valid.

Comparing automakers to pda makers is rediculous.

I never said the Treo's were faulty - those are your words. I think they are a result of exactly what Palm put into it.

I have 100's in my company not becuase they are "bad", but becuase they, along with many other different vendors, fit a need.

Just because I buy them and use them does not give Palm a free pass...the same criticisms apply to other vendors.

Zboat, it is out of your wallet - it's in your monthly bill of that 2 year contract. Geezzz...
    whmurray,

The other 4 letter word is "fool"
    Quote Originally Posted by kepa
    Yes, my treo is buggy with DUN, but I still like it. All of the reviews I've read mentioned compromises in certain features.
    I did my research and did not expect perfection. However, this thing can leave you stranded. No device is perfect. But here are a few that, while less than perfect, still deliver time and time again, without leaving you feeling impotent:

My PC
    My car (AWD, ABS, turbo, 5-spd, 6 disc, Sirius, etc.)
    My dishwasher
    My Zire 72 - love it - see I don't hate Palm
    My Motorcycle (ZX9)
    My Motorola
    My radar detector
    My office 6 line phone system
    My security system
    blah, blah
    Cingular T650
    ...now back to Motorola and a Zire 72!
    BTW, zboater and markeagle...you guys seem to know your stuff. And, from what you post here you've helped many solve some issues. I admire your acumen.

Thanks for listening to our harrassment of the T650
    Cingular T650
    ..Zboat, it is out of your wallet - it's in your monthly bill of that 2 year contract. Geezzz...
    What I am hearing you say is that instead of paying $99 a month for 2000 minutes with rollover, I should pay $85 ($99 minues the $350 subsidy divided by 24) and not have to subsidize the equipment? That's insane. The $99 a month is the same if I get a $350 Treo, a free phone or if I bring over my own GSM phone from somewhere else. Geez Louise...
    Cingular Treo 650
    Zboater,

What you are hearing is whatever you are thinking at the time. It bears no resemblance to what I said.

You really do not seem to understand how the cell phone industry works in the US...
    I used to work for a software company, and I guarantee you that there is a lot of pressure to issue a product before it is ready. Even if they know about the problems, sometimes they make decisions to release the product anyhow. I would just about guarantee that they knew about the problems and decided to release the product anyhow. There is no excuse for them not knowing.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlkLegGT
    I did my research and did not expect perfection. However, this thing can leave you stranded. No device is perfect. But here are a few that, while less than perfect, still deliver time and time again, without leaving you feeling impotent:

My PC
    My car (AWD, ABS, turbo, 5-spd, 6 disc, Sirius, etc.)
    My dishwasher
    My Zire 72 - love it - see I don't hate Palm
    My Motorcycle (ZX9)
    My Motorola
    My radar detector
    My office 6 line phone system
    My security system
    blah, blah
    My PC and dishwasher are both quirky.
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    ^^^

Well, stop putting your PC in your dishwasher to get that REALLY clean internet cache!
    Cingular T650
    Quote Originally Posted by BlkLegGT
    BTW, zboater and markeagle...you guys seem to know your stuff. And, from what you post here you've helped many solve some issues. I admire your acumen.
    Nicely said!
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    Tony,

Thanks for pointing out the trvth about the product world...
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast