1.    #1  
    How is it that after the trial period is over on some software it's (usually) really over? Where is the data stored that tells a re-install that time's up?
    Why? Trying to circumvent the registration process?
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    I'm more concerned that apps I install are leaving little crumbs behind. If I decide I don't want something and want to remove it, I don't think it should leave it's little "trial version" droppings.
    Quote Originally Posted by JakiChan
    I'm more concerned that apps I install are leaving little crumbs behind. If I decide I don't want something and want to remove it, I don't think it should leave it's little "trial version" droppings.
    That may be the case, however in the OP's question:
    Quote Originally Posted by mgabel_pi
    How is it that after the trial period is over on some software it's (usually) really over? Where is the data stored that tells a re-install that time's up?
    ...he specifically mentions a re-install. Not outright accusing him of trying to get something for nothing, but it made me wonder.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    the data is stored in either saved or unsaved pref, use a program like uninstall to see the creator ID and all files associated with the app in questio. Usually when you delete an app all associated files, along with enteries in the saved and unsaved files are deleted. But, some apps leave behind enteries to prevent re-install. You can manually delete all enteries in the saved and unsaved prefs and reinstall the trial app again. Keep in mind other apps by the same company may also check for installed trials, I think jeff gibson is doing that with all his apps now.
    Treoing & Loving it
  6.    #6  
    Well, here are two examples where one might want to reinstall, one you might not think is legal but the other surely is. Case 1: you get a product that has maybe a 3 day trial. [There is a particular travel-type program I have in mind.] You install the trial. Don't have time, it turns out to test, and the trial is up. ANOTHER version of Case 1. You try something. Don't really like it. Trial is over. Look around for something else. Decide maybe the first was ok and then you can't re-try it. [Not sure if this would happen with a newer version of the software - but then surely you'd like to try that new version and maybe the old version, having been installed, keeps you from trying the new version.]

Case 2: There is this one program that I own that is not recommended to be run off an SD card. It is too huge to do otherwise, at least for me. So, I do so anyway. Every week or so it stops working correctly. I try to reinstall the copy I paid for and it won't work. [The company told me that this was "because the Treo 650 device creates a new device ID upon various "standard" occasions, thus "making us" believe that a different device is trying to use your subscription code and needs to be blocked." The company will, after a few days, send me a new access code. This solves the problem but in the mean time, the software does not work.
  7.    #7  
    HUM. I though I get some comments on my quote from, in fact, WorldMate Pro developer [Mobimate.]

The software I had did not work:

"because the Treo 650 device creates a new device ID upon various "standard" occasions, thus "making us" believe that a different device is trying to use your subscription code and needs to be blocked."

Think the creating of this new device ID is causing some other problems? [Sort of like that "Enable Network Time" problem?]
    Many apps create a preferances entry with a diferent creator id so that the preferances won't be deleted when you remove the app.

You could also hard reset your treo and then get your trial period back. Hey do that everyday and you would have unlimited trial period.
    Or you could always change the date back to some time during that trial period while you want to use the app and then change it back again when you're done. Who said that? It wasn't me.