Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 57
  1.    #1  
    Just a note to say that the latest BETA of ChatterEmail has full support for AOL, including true push. Please read the BETA Release Notes at http://www.chatteremail.com for full details.

    Thanks to everyone here for pestering me about making AOL work - it wasn't even a day's work.

    Marc
  2. #2  
    I dont have AOL (used to but they charged so much for having limited options) but I can really appreciate how you tweak, create and update your program. Thanks.

    BTW-so is AOL really true IMAP?
  3.    #3  
    It's a somewhat limited version of IMAP; very inefficient in some ways (requires as much data to sync as POP3; ugh), but supports online mode (with IDLE, albeit with 1-2 minute delay) and seems to function pretty well.

    Marc
  4. #4  
    Marc,

    You are a very smart guy. I'm happy to have you as a Treo especific developer. I use AOL as my primary personal email account and now that you have push mail for AOL and attachments work with Pop3 accounts I have to try Chattermail even if I have to start from scratch. Before I do that I have a few questions:
    Can I store my old email in the SD card?
    Can I sync one account or mailbox at a time?
    Does Chattermail work on ROM using Shadowmites custome ROM?
    And finally what does Snapper do that chatter cannot do currently?

    Thanks,

    Al
  5.    #5  
    Treolo -

    1) Chatter doesn't support SD card for storing emails at this time. For IMAP, this really didn't matter, since you can always access your mail on the server. Now that POP3 is supported, I have to consider this some more.

    2) Yes, you can be "online" (true push, with AOL or other IMAP servers), have individually timed "QuickSync" (as I call them), or sync manually.

    3) I'm told it does, though I would wait until there's a stable release with AOL and POP3 before doing that (maybe a week or so).

    4) I think Snapper tries to do some minor HTML rendering, whereas Chatter uses a web browser for HTML viewing. Chatter can't read more than 32k of the text of messages (unless it's HTML; I'm stuck with a bad design decision on that one for a little while). SD card storage (although Chatter can search entire folders on the server, which Snapper can't). I'm sure there are some other small things; maybe it handles inline text attachments better (I'm working on that now).

    Chatter, of course, does a LOT of things Snapper can't do: "online" (push), asynchronous operation, filtered mailboxes, a "Summary" mailbox (basically merged boxes), FAR faster for both IMAP and POP3 (up to 4-5x faster for POP3 syncing), multiple sending personalities, auto-complete of recently used addresses, settable hard buttons, much less memory used, etc., etc.

    Marc
  6. #6  
    Marc,

    Is there any limitation on the number of mailboxes that I can create with the Trial version? I'm having problems, but before I tell you what is going on let me share my setting:
    AOL IMAP Accont1
    -Inbox(part of the default account)
    -Saved
    -Sent
    -Spam

    AOL IMAP Account2
    -Inbox(part of the default account)
    -Saved
    -Reciepts
    -Sent
    -Spam

    SBC Yahoo POP3 Account
    nothing works here I only see a gray mail icon.

    Now, initially I was getting an error creating accounts. I was getting "Database cannot be created" Then after a reset I got it to work. Later after all my mailboxes were setup I decided to do a soft reset. To my surprise all my mailboxes from my Account2 were gone with exception of the Inbox. I did some refresh and then they came back. Then I did another soft reset and they were gone again. I looked at my files on RAM and most of them were there. So I tried to send an email from my Account2 inbox to another account and my sent box from my Account2 showed up Then I looked at the drop down list of inboxes and it wasn't there. Now, I'm really confused because I know they are there but the drop down list just doesn't want to show them. Then, I tried to synch all of them and I got a message that I have to many mailboxes online and to disable at least one.

    Finally, I've been trying to make by SBC Yahoo account to work, but it just doesn't work.

    I need help,

    Thanks,

    Al

    Quote Originally Posted by mblank
    Treolo -

    1) Chatter doesn't support SD card for storing emails at this time. For IMAP, this really didn't matter, since you can always access your mail on the server. Now that POP3 is supported, I have to consider this some more.

    2) Yes, you can be "online" (true push, with AOL or other IMAP servers), have individually timed "QuickSync" (as I call them), or sync manually.

    3) I'm told it does, though I would wait until there's a stable release with AOL and POP3 before doing that (maybe a week or so).

    4) I think Snapper tries to do some minor HTML rendering, whereas Chatter uses a web browser for HTML viewing. Chatter can't read more than 32k of the text of messages (unless it's HTML; I'm stuck with a bad design decision on that one for a little while). SD card storage (although Chatter can search entire folders on the server, which Snapper can't). I'm sure there are some other small things; maybe it handles inline text attachments better (I'm working on that now).

    Chatter, of course, does a LOT of things Snapper can't do: "online" (push), asynchronous operation, filtered mailboxes, a "Summary" mailbox (basically merged boxes), FAR faster for both IMAP and POP3 (up to 4-5x faster for POP3 syncing), multiple sending personalities, auto-complete of recently used addresses, settable hard buttons, much less memory used, etc., etc.

    Marc
  7. #7  
    Now this is really wierd. I disabled the summary list and they are all back. I think there some bug in there. Now, I have to figure out how to make SBC yahoo work.

    Al
  8. #8  
    Ok, I guess I figured out how to set up my yahoo account. Now, I'm really concern about getting incoming phone calls as often as I used to. With push mail activated does it mean that there will be a constant connection to the server as a result blocking my phone calls? I see that the service arrows constantly green.

    Thanks,

    Al
  9.    #9  
    Treolo - Get b17; I fixed the bug that seemed to lose Mailboxes when Summary was on. (Oops! It's Beta!)

    And NO, you shouldn't lose all calls and the green arrows shouldn't be on all the time with push. If they are, there's a setup issue somewhere.

    You can send me a log if you like; that's usually definitive. Instructions are in the FAQ at www.chatteremail.com.

    Marc

    p.s. On Sprint/Verizon, I'd expect to lose 8 - 15% of calls to Voicemail, depending on how many Mailboxes you have (especially if they are online). With GSM (TMO, Cingular), I'd expect around 3 - 8%.
  10. #10  
    How do I find the feature that remembers recent addresses for sending mail? Thanks Marc!
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by mblank
    And NO, you shouldn't lose all calls and the green arrows shouldn't be on all the time with push. If they are, there's a setup issue somewhere.
    Marc just for your reference I am using Rogers Wireless and my green arrows are always on..I assumed this was normal? I thought Rogers kept us connected always even though you may not be using data?
  12.    #12  
    timexx8 - Rogers is GSM, right? On GSM, the arrows are always on (but it doesn't mean that data is being sent). On CDMA phones, however, green arrows mean the data connection is ACTIVE. Thanks for reminding me of this...

    treolo - timexx8 makes a great point. If you're on a GSM system, the green arrows WILL always be on, and that DOESN'T mean your calls are going to VM.

    Marc
  13. #13  
    Marc,

    I've found that my SBC Yahoo pop3 account stays in quicksync on my Sprint Treo 650. As a result my arrows remain green. I had to disable quicksync and do a reset to clean my conections. I've found that sometimes even my browsers and Pocket Tunes shoutcast gets block. I believe it has to do with the connection been kept alive for too long. I think the main problem could be my yahoo account. I've created a log. Do you know what is called in RAM?
    Also a few suggestions:
    When a new message pops could you add the mailbox name so we know to what account was send? And Could you add a button to open the message on the mailbox and go to the mail account?
    Also it would be nice to have the option to save deleted emails localy and be stored on the SD card.

    Thanks,

    Al

    Quote Originally Posted by mblank
    timexx8 - Rogers is GSM, right? On GSM, the arrows are always on (but it doesn't mean that data is being sent). On CDMA phones, however, green arrows mean the data connection is ACTIVE. Thanks for reminding me of this...
    treolo - timexx8 makes a great point. If you're on a GSM system, the green arrows WILL always be on, and that DOESN'T mean your calls are going to VM.
    Marc
  14. #14  
    Another suggestion is that it seems that there is no way of knowing if there are unread messages on any of the mailboxes. I think the standard way is to make the mailboxes BOLD and to display the number of unread messages. What do you think? Let me know.

    Thanks,

    Al
  15.    #15  
    Treolo - New messages are already indicated by a red mailbox name in the Mailbox popup and the red "alert" flag on the bottom of the screen.

    Marc
  16. #16  
    Marc,

    That's a good point however after you go to the mailbox and just scroll up and down the red font and flag goes away. I have about 5 unread messages but there is no way to know from the drop down list because I've already browse the mailbox without reading any new messages.

    Al
  17. #17  
    Marc,

    We have a bigger issue. It seems like after an hour or so all http connections get blocked. An example of that is my previous posts. I was getting an error with Xiino so I tried to post 3 times. Then I went to Blazer and I had the same problem. I tried Pocket Tunes with Shoutcast and the same problem. However VeriChat was fine. All these problems with my pop3 account turned off. The only fix was to soft reset.

    Al
  18. #18  
    The new b18 seems to fix pop3 QuickSync issues. However, It seems like Chatter uses the same http ports as the web browsers and blocks them.

    Xiino says:
    "Too many TCP connections. Please try again later. If this message repeatedly appears, please disconnect PPP, and then reconnect."

    Blazer says:
    "The page download could not be completed. Please try again later."

    Pocket Tunes with Shoutcast says:
    "(124F)~Couldn't reconnect. Retrying in 10 seconds."

    Marc, I'm not giving up here. I see Chatter has a lot of potential and it is worth the testing. I'm going to keep reporting my findings to you on the daily basis. Let me know if there is anything that you need.

    Thanks,

    Al
  19. #19  
    Last observation before I go to sleep. I've been getting this pop up message a lot when the mailboxes try to QuickSync:

    Data Connection Problem
    Your data connection is failing. Repairing this may cause your treo to become unresponsive for a short while.

    Would you like to repair this now?
    Yes/No
    Is this coming from Chatter or from the Treo itself? and Why is that I've never had this before?

    Al
    Last edited by TreoRock; 04/11/2005 at 02:58 AM.
  20.    #20  
    Treolo -That message is from Chatter, which is assuming there's a data connection problem because of repeated failures to connect to your server(s). But it could just be that some server address is wrong, I suppose. You'd have to send a log.

    Regarding the "too many TCP connections" problem, again, it must somehow relate to your setup. Chatter plays very nicely with Web, Xiino, PocketTunes, and pretty much every other app as well. Again, a log would probably be very helpful.

    Marc
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions