Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I upgraded to 1.08. One week later, every key was dead. However, when I inserted the SD card, where I had tomtom, it launced tomtom, and for some reason, when I quit out of tomtom by selecting the home button it defaulted to the Zlauncer screen and all the buttons worked!

Now, I tried to sync to reload 1.08, no luck, the error message indicated the the port was in use.

So, I called technical support at Sprint, they said take it to the store for a replacement after we did a hard reset and the keyboard still did not work

I got to the store for the replacement. Now remember, the keys work under Zlauncher. But I left my SD card a home so that the store would not erase it somehow. After a 30 minute wait, the technician finally came out and took the phone. He could not get it to work either. After some discussion about Zlauncher, etc. he said he could not reload 1.08 which I find strange because you would think the Sprint store could upgrade the OS.

The technician dissappeared for 20 minutes, but when they opened the employee only door, I saw him madly at work dissassembling my 650. 10 minutes later he came out and said the keyboard had soda poured on it and I had distroyed the keyboard, and it was not covered under warrenty.

I told him that I would be happy to go home, get my SD card and prove to him that the keyboard works. In addition, I told him that I never poured any soda on my coveted 650, and that it was a flaw in 1.08. He dissagreed and said 1.08 is fine. I disagreed and asked him to take it apart again and show me the sticky coke residue.

He said he would give me another Treo, and 20 min later I finally left with my reconditioned Treo.

I don't think it's the update. Many people here (me too) have had keyboards that crapped out. Inserting the card resets the keyboard so popping it in or out makes it work temporarily.

Pretty sure that was hardware not software.
  3.    #3  
    It worked indefinately under Zlauncher. In addition may other functions went out that were not keyboard related like hotsysc.

And what would it be in the hardware? loose solder joint?
    Lot of hotsync issues too that aren't related to the update. I just don't think you would be the only one that has these issues caused by the update when everyone elses were caused by the update. Just differing with your detective work.
  5.    #5  
    You are entltled to your opinion, however as an engineer, and user of this device, I can say emphatically that it is related to the update. Keyboard works with a different OS i.e. Zlauncher, and not 1.08, then clearly 1.08 crashed in ROM somehow. From Zlauncher, the keyboard worked, therefore the keyboard had not failed. You have not shown how it could be anything else other than 1.08. You mention "Lot of hotsync issues" please be specific, the comment is general and not issue specific. It is a bit cavelier at best.

"lots of people" give examples. This is a serious issue and others should be warned. Sluffing it off with a generic "I do not agree with you", is far from emperical.

But, it doesn't really matter what your opinion, the 650 failed and I had to take it back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ti-maniac
    You are entltled to your opinion, however as an engineer, and user of this device, I can say emphatically that it is related to the update. Keyboard works with a different OS i.e. Zlauncher, and not 1.08, then clearly 1.08 crashed in ROM somehow. From Zlauncher, the keyboard worked, therefore the keyboard had not failed. You have not shown how it could be anything else other than 1.08. You mention "Lot of hotsync issues" please be specific, the comment is general and not issue specific. It is a bit cavelier at best.
    As an engineer, I would hope you would at least know that Zlauncher is IS NOT an OS...
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    for real...sorry to not be more specific.

the folks in all the threads about the defective keyboard and hotsync failures are. Go there and read. Also read the threads on the experiences with the update. Study up and you'll see your conclusion is flawed.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    As an engineer, I would hope you would at least know that Zlauncher is IS NOT an OS...
    I am an electrical engineer not a software geek. I do know that the keyboard works with Zlauncher and not with the Palm windows. Therefore one has to conclude that it is not the hardware, but the software. All of your red capital letters in the world will not take away from the fact that this is a software problem and not a hardware problem, because if you can get the keyboard to work in in program and not in another the clearly it is not a hardware problem.

Only a software ***** would conclude it is a hardware problem.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    for real...sorry to not be more specific.

the folks in all the threads about the defective keyboard and hotsync failures are. Go there and read. Also read the threads on the experiences with the update. Study up and you'll see your conclusion is flawed.
    I have read them and stand by my conclusion. Also please be specific, just do not apathetically say that somebody else said, etc. Give specific references to actual data which will conclusively support your position. You have not done this and are debating on hot air. One example would be nice, two better, and three sufficient.
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    Wow ! Very interesting.
    What we really want to know is...

How did you spill the soda on the keyboard?

Your story is VERY suspect beacuse:

- Techs at a Sprint store NEVER take a PDA apart.. They run their diags and that is it.

Glad you got your phone replaced, but don't peddle falsehoods here...

As for you EE degree, please tell us which college you got it from, so I can avoid it. If you're an engineer I am the King of Siam.
    I do know that the keyboard works with Zlauncher and not with the Palm windows. Therefore one has to conclude that it is not the hardware, but the software.
    The only keys that should work from the default app launcher would be the 5-way to scroll and select, and the letter keys to select apps based on name. For example. pressing "M" will highlight Memos if it's the first app beginning with an "m". When selecting an app this way, you still need to press the enter button or the center button on the 5-way to launch the app. Are you saying that you DON'T get this from the default launcher?
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    I am an electrical engineer [...] clearly it is not a hardware problem.

Spoken like a true EE.
    I have read them and stand by my conclusion. Also please be specific, just do not apathetically say that somebody else said, etc. Give specific references to actual data which will conclusively support your position. You have not done this and are debating on hot air. One example would be nice, two better, and three sufficient.
    I'm not debating at all. I am TELLING you that the FW update did not cause this. I would know of course because I am a trumpet player.
    Even an ***** would probably know that spilling soda on a Treo might cause damage...

And just because it said Diet on the can, doesn't make it any safer.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Wow. And I thought I was abrasive! I tell you what slaptard, next time you post here on a public forum, asking for help for something you may want to drop the ego and the "prove it, I'm right" mentality you seem to have developed. Despite what you may think, you're not the only "big man on campus" around here. There are more than a handful of members who can crush you with their wallet as well. Parading your EE degree around and expecting members to rethink asking for additional information or citing examples is not only a demonstration of your lunacy but also a failed attempt in impresssing anyone.

I lift my arse 45 degrees at break-wind in your direction at 65 CFM.
    I can always lay the pimp hand down(just let me know fellas)
    Wisdom sheds light on the knowledge you have accumulated

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    Watch Ya Mouth !!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    Unleash the hate. Your anger is delicious.
    Hold him still for me.
    my latest work
    Attached Images Attached Images

Palm Pre (Sprint)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast