Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have my T-650, actually had it since the beginning, and had no real problems with it outside of the occasional 3rd party app. Got a spare battery and keep both batteries charged so to use one as an emergency (like on a plane, etc...).

My observation over the last month is that with one battery the Treo works flawlessly. With the other it goes through wild fits of resets at odd times, with no programs running, in poorer signal areas and some applications like Chattermail exhibit odd behavior. I was thinking at first it was Chattermail and it is not. When I place the original battery back in the Treo all is fine so it, my friends, is the battery. I suggest all who are having the strnge reset issues seek out a different battery or maybe see if there is a little too much play in their battery which may be causing the problem before blaming the Treo itself.

Note: I searched before posting and could not find history of this being reported or posted about on the forums. If it has and this is old news I apologize in advance for the replication.

GEH
    gharrod

This is the first time I've seen a post pointing to the battery as the source of bad behavior. I've got an OEM spare coming this week from dans_cellular, so I'll give it a try to see if it makes any difference. For the record, the factory original in my unit is working fine with no resets or other odd behavior.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    I haven't seen problems when I dropped in my second battery, but its been rare that I've done it. I will switch batteries and watch what happens... will let you know here if I see the same things.
    Quote Originally Posted by eclipse
    I haven't seen problems when I dropped in my second battery, but its been rare that I've done it. I will switch batteries and watch what happens... will let you know here if I see the same things.
    This is interesting. I am going to try this..... I have 2 batteries.
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
  5.    #5  
    Mine was from Dans but it is the real Treo battery. I havve never had issue with DansCellular so let me state that up front I do not consider it a Dans issue but a battery issue.
    Yeah - this is completely new.

Would the battery have a diffeet label on it? Like the 600's - one was 'A' then therre were 'b's whihc were the referbished (or something like that)

The battery type I have: 157-10014-00
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Quote Originally Posted by B-model
    Yeah - this is completely new.

Would the battery have a diffeet label on it? Like the 600's - one was 'A' then therre were 'b's whihc were the referbished (or something like that)

The battery type I have: 157-10014-00
    Mine is 157-10014-01, the original battery, made in taiwan
    I have the 00 made in korea did u try checking the voltage using filez?
    Quote Originally Posted by clownracer
    I have the 00 made in korea did u try checking the voltage using filez?
    my 650 is dead now, and waiting for exchange
    Gharrod -

Which Batteries do you have? I have 2, both are the 157-10014-00 from Korea. Which do you have.

Ok...are the Taiwan batteries better than Korea's? That would be too much.
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

11.    #11  
    The batteries are identical and both Korean made. Only diff is the serial number...

I may try using the battery which is causing the problem after putting some sort of spacer betweeen the battery and the side of the battery compartment and the battery cover and see if it is simply the way the battery is fitting or not. I really find this odd but it has been days now since I changed the battery back to the good one and abolutely not a single reset of the Treo since then.

I will try the FileZ voltage also to see if that is any different.

GEH
    One possibility is that one has slightly larger contacts (or they are positioned further out from the rest of the battery) or that one is bigger. My reasoning is that one may jostle loose and lose contact with the Treo, thus causing a reset?
  13.    #13  
    I think you are correct KRamsauer and I am trying to determine if there is a warranty on something like this. It would also be possible that many who have reset problems may be also having the same problem and what I find of interest to those people is as follows.

You have an issue with your phone resetting, you go to Sprint/Cingular/Verizon/etc...for a replacement, they have you keep your battery, the replacement phone does the same thing and you go back mad as a hornet that this keeps happening and it is not the phone but the battery.

I switched back to the second batery for a couple hours today and it reset a few times, placed the original battery in and it has not reset since. I am sure this is a defect and the possible case for many reset issues.
    Ok...update on my test of this issue.

I had 5 resets in 5 days with one battery. So far no resets in 4 days with the one I switched to. I will give it a few more days with this battery and report back. This is an interesting find. I am surprised this thread is not getting more attention. I would like to see more people testing this out.
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Otter- Did you try gharrod's spacer concept with the "bad" battery yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by hirschr
    Otter- Did you try gharrod's spacer concept with the "bad" battery yet?

No, I want to get past "fluke" stage first. If I get past 5 days with the current battery, I will switch to the "bad" one. If I start having resets again I will try the spacer idea and see what happens. Trying to approach this with some patience.

I still want others to look at this. Very curious, indeed.
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

I saw this in a thread a long time ago. The poster had a loose battery and used those round velcro thingys (that's technical speak) to hold the battery cover tighter to secure the battery connection. His resets stopped. Could it be like the stylus problem...some fit better than others?
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130
    I saw this in a thread a long time ago. The poster had a loose battery and used those round velcro thingys (that's technical speak) to hold the battery cover tighter to secure the battery connection. His resets stopped. Could it be like the stylus problem...some fit better than others?
    If very well may be....

but on the surface my battery seems to "fit" fine. This thread also mentions the "size" of the contacts. Like I said, I will take a close look after I can rule out "fluke" status....

THANKS to anyone who participates here!
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

That would certainly save some frustration and explain why some enjoy a reset free existence...
    someone else posted about this a few months back, they put a folded piece of paper between the battery and the sliding 'door' so the battery would not 'slip'. He thought their was too much play and he is probably right, but I haven't tried it yet.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast