Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    I don't know if this is related, but my phone was on the floor this morning and the battery drained to 0%. It would also not charge. I opened the compartment and took the battery out and put it back in. It started charging again. Maybe the battery moved around when it fell (not a hard fall- about a foot drop on a rug, has a swivel clip).
    I am glad that someone started a post on this issue. Our t-650's are minicomputers. The supplied batt. if low on charge may have voltage fluctuations that could cause our units to misbehave, leading to soft resets, and locking up from time to time.

I like to add, even the sim chip which may appear to be good may devlope oxidation on the contacts, and from time to time may need to be wiped clean.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    My 650 I got a month ago from sprint has a soft piece of foam the size of a thumbnail and maybe 1-2 mms thick on the inside of the battery cover. I usually don't get resets unless something goes kaupt with Avantgo. I also don't have many 3rd apps.
    Have been using a second battery now for a couple of days - no random resets with it or the original - both manufactured in Korea.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Have been using a second battery now for a couple of days - no random resets with it or the original - both manufactured in Korea.
    ugh.. reset yesterday. "form handler" error at 12:00PM... And that was with the "good battery"...
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
  6.    #26  
    Otter, you only saw one reset over several days with the good battery? I have seen only one also. Is it also odd that yours happened at exactly 12:00PM?

GEH
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    Otter, you only saw one reset over several days with the good battery? I have seen only one also. Is it also odd that yours happened at exactly 12:00PM?

GEH
    12:00 was when Snapper woke up to do a fetch. The reset was:

Fortm68K.c, Line:1771, No form event handler
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

I have been using two batteries for some time and have had no problems with resets. But, I had a loose back cover from the beginning and bought some little adhesive backed green felt pad early on and installed four of them on the back of the battery door. I suspect they hold the battery down pretty tightly. Got them for a bout a dollar at home depot. Worth a try, I would think.
    Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    But what's the problem with a little reset?

The Treo 650 is still the best device ever. Quit bringing up minor issues.

BOOTM
    borderline trolling, mike.

I have never said that the device is perfect.

yes, it is the best device I have ever used in it's class.

Responding to and trying to understand an issue is something I want to do. I have never said otherwise.

On the otherhand maybe you were just being sarcastic and I caught it at the wrong part of my day. Yes, I will go with that thought.

Have a great weekend!
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Quote Originally Posted by shadowboxer
    I have been using two batteries for some time and have had no problems with resets. But, I had a loose back cover from the beginning and bought some little adhesive backed green felt pad early on and installed four of them on the back of the battery door. I suspect they hold the battery down pretty tightly. Got them for a bout a dollar at home depot. Worth a try, I would think.

Will take a look. At least it gives me an excuse to head over to Home Depot.
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

I tried the paper trick with my Treo650 by taking a small piece of cardboard from a cigarette pack about the size of my sim and sticking it underneath, I put it back in the Treo and noticed it was tighter going back into the sim slot...I did this 10 days ago and have not had sporadic resets since except for 1 that happened the other night when I went to hotsync and pressed the hotsync button on the cradle as soon as I put the phone in the cradle...before I was having 2 per day...go figure.

I should note..90% of my previous resets were caused by "Phone" when I checked with #*377 after they happened..I never knew exactly what this meant and still don't but I did notice removing my SIM while the Treo650 was powered on would cause the phone to reset and the error was "Phone"...coincidence?

Also my phone seemed to reset alot whenever I was out walking so I suspected it might be from the battery moving or the sim.

As for cleaning your SIM, no need to use toxic chemicals on the chip covering... a good method is too use a simple pencil eraser and this is recommended by many smartcard suppliers.
    Reset today. 12:02PM: Fatal exception in Snapper.. hmmmmmmm 12:00 again.
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

I have been using 2 batteries in a Treo since last October/November with no problem. One additional way to tell if it is an open battery issue is that if you replace the battery (or it thinks it has been replaced) it will power up to the screen that asks if you want to turn on network time.
    I am having similar problems. I do have two batteries, although I am not sure if the problem is from the original battery or my new one.
    My Treo 650 resets very often, somtimes as often as every 5 minutes. I originally thought that it was a Verichat problem, but the problem continued after I deleted Verichat from my Treo, so maybe it is the battery.
    My battery is the 00 from Korea.
  15.    #35  
    dgifted.you bring up a good point in that when I switch bateries I get the question about network time. When I have the bad battery in and it resets I do not get that question and often get bad things like having to restore my phone from backup manager...

Otter, I think your Snapper is the issue with the good battery. It is the reset issue with you both times...

mgeismar, it matters really not which battery (original or not) but that some of the batteries are in fact BAD units. My original thought on this was that many people who were experiencing going through several T650's and having continual problems were probably really having a batteryissue not a T650 issue. Does this make sense to everyone?
    Well then, I wish I knew how to fix my snapper!
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Both batteries cause my Treo to reset (even while hooked up to my charger). Any ideas what I should do?
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    My original thought on this was that many people who were experiencing going through several T650's and having continual problems were probably really having a batteryissue not a T650 issue. Does this make sense to everyone?
    Very possible. Now that the batteries are replaceable I bet Sprint makes you keep your existing battery, customers also probably want to keep it becuase its already charged and ready to go.
  19.    #39  
    sxtg, that is my assumption, and the carriers will try to mitigate costs by making us take the batteries good or bad because they will gladly sell new batteries to us if we like.
    Global Posts
    678 Global Posts
    A loose battery might move in and out of place so fast that the Treo might not shut all the way down like when you pull the Battery. Thus the network time page might not come up. But this loose battery reset problem should be able to be confirmed with a vibe/shake test.

A battery with an internal problem between cells might drop the voltage low enough to cause a reset as well. This would be harder to test for. It would require voltage monitoring with a high sampling rate.

My replacement Treo came with the black foam on the battery door. The battey is an -00 from Korea. It fits very tight up against the contacts. There is less than a 1/16th of an inch of play side to side in its battery compartment. The Treo spring battery contacts easily make up for this space. When I install the battery they are compressed more than the free play of the battery in its compartment. The Treo spring contacts look like they ride on the battery contact area in the bottom 1/3. That would require the battery to move 3/32 of an inch toward the battery door to lose the connection. I don't think anyone has that much play. If we are looking at a battery problem I bet it is an internal battery problem, not a loose battery compartment.
    Mike G

Touch (Sprint)
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast