1.    #1  
    Hi gang,

So I got my Thincom modem a couple of weeks ago and really enjoy using it, but as most of you know the programs that come bundled with the modem are only demos. In particular, the MultiMail Pro program has only a 10-day trial period.

Hence, I am now looking around for email programs. I wouldn't be opposed to just buying MultiMail -- I had a couple of problems with it crashing my VDx but otherwise it was OK -- but I am also looking for your thoughts on other programs that do similar things. What programs do you use? What do you like/not like about them?

thanks in advance!

BertBert
    Mark 12:28-31
    Het BertBert:

I use Eudora for the Palm OS and it works liek a charm.... The really good thing about it is that it is free. The latest version (2.0b) has support for multiple pop3 email accounts. I should also add that it can read html email...somehting multimail cannot do (I have tried).

If you also install the web browser that comes as part of the Palm OS Eudora Suite...you will be able to click on links in emails and it takes you straight to the site on your Visor!

Search for it at Palmgear.com.
    I am interested in how you use this program, what you use it for, and did you buy a Springboard modem?

Originally posted by yardie
    Het BertBert:

I use Eudora for the Palm OS and it works liek a charm.... The really good thing about it is that it is free. The latest version (2.0b) has support for multiple pop3 email accounts. I should also add that it can read html email...somehting multimail cannot do (I have tried).

If you also install the web browser that comes as part of the Palm OS Eudora Suite...you will be able to click on links in emails and it takes you straight to the site on your Visor!

Search for it at Palmgear.com.
    Originally posted by jrglick
    I am interested in how you use this program, what you use it for, and did you buy a Springboard modem?
    Well I do not have a modem yet, so I use the Palm version of their email program to download email from their adware/spyware/freeware version of Eudora on my Desktop. You cannot use their web browser without a live internet connection (with a modem)

You can hotsync your email with other desktop email programs. But you would have to pay for the privilige. See http://www.eudora.com/internetsuite for more info.
    Help me guys...I do not understand why we need to use our Visors to browse and s/r emails. O.K. I know we can do this on our phones now, but do any of you?

Wouldn't you rather just do this on your desk/laptop? Why do you all do this?

I use and like Eudora (sponsored/free) in comjunction with my Netscape 4.7 on my laptop. I bought the Visor to synch up with my Time and Chaos Personal Info. Manager, so that I can not have to drag my laptop to and fro work, just take my Visor to work now ansd surf at home at night.

I do not mean to be naive, but why do we all need to synch up our Eudoras to our Palm Desktop or other PIM software? And if there is good reason to, then which are the key programs to use and for what purpose?

I am very confused?

Sorry and thanks,

Jeff
    Originally posted by BertBert
    What programs do you use? What do you like/not like about them?
    I'll second Eudora for the Palm OS. The web browser is text only, but given the screen size issues it's probably for the best.
    Wouldn't you rather just do this on your desk/laptop? Why do you all do this?

Personally, I like being able to send email from my Visor when I'm travelling away from my desktop, and if I don't want to carry around a laptop just for email.

Of course, if you don't travel much, or if you always have your laptop, then it makes for a nice backup system in case your primary dies on you.
    Wouldn't you rather just do this on your desk/laptop?[/B]
    I don't travel with a laptop. If I did, the one thing I'd need it for was email. Having an email client on the Palm gives me complete communications capabilities when I'm on the road, without a laptop's six or seven pounds of dead weight.

Phil Frank
    I have to say that I like Eudora Email. It is very complete and works seemlessly with my desktop Eudora.

Now to the other person who was questioning why we like to use these programs let say a few things. I like being able to carry many of my e-mails with me in my VDX because if I need some of the info in one of those it is there and I can get to it quicker than if I lugged my laptop with me.

Second, I am able to manage my inbox with it, if I delete a message on my Visor it will be deleted on my desktop Eudora.

Third, it is nice to be able to respond and write new e-mails when I am waiting say for my car when I take it in to get the oil changed. I can sit down and write my e-mails using either Grafiti or my PPK and then send them when I sync the next time. In fact I do this often enough a friend of mine is starting to question why I keep saying at the end of my messages why I need to go because they are finished with my car.
    With the Handspring Modem, I have MultiMail. Used it over two weeks while travelling I-80 (visiting relatives along the way). Downloaded a half-dozen or more emails a day with no problems.

One caveat: the program is downloadable only. No CD, and you'll have make a backup of the download to CD-R or Zip immediately so you won't lose your investment if your OS crashes. Mine did a few days after (for the usual unknown reasons), so the only copy is in the Visor.

I wonder if an upgrade requires the earlier version on disk to "take" or not. Anyone know?
    > One caveat: the program is downloadable only. <

I *think*, although I'm not certain, that you'd be able to re-download the installation from MultiMail. You might have to email them and ask for the download URL, however.

Most of my Palm programs are download-only. I carefully store the URL and password for each, in case I need to reinstall and/or upgrade them (that's in addition to a ZIP disk of all of the install programs, too). I just went through upgrading my links for all of them. I know MultiMail had a link for upgrading, but I think you should be able to redownload your original install file as well.

Phil Frank
    I use "OneTouch" which came with my VDX on the Connection Pack 1.0 CD. Works wonderful, it picks up all the e-mail addresses out of "Address" and real easy to use with the Handspring modem.

JC
    Originally posted by jaicee
    I use "OneTouch" which came with my VDX on the Connection Pack 1.0 CD.

wait a second. what is this CD and why didn't i get one with my VDX????

is this something Handspring has been including recently?? (i got my visor last november).
    wow, it's been awhile.....things have REALLY changed...why is my Visor Edge still in my hand? Will a Treo fit better?
    Don't remember getting a "connection pack" either and I got my ICe Deluxe in July.