Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    does anyone have any recommendations for downloading an Instant messanger for the 650? there are 1000's of them and not sure which one's are the best. any thoughts?
    can this run in the background on GPRS Treos ( Cingular )
    verichat

yes it runs in the backgroud on GPRS Cingular Treo 650
    is that a yes?
    I use verichat and it is great, but you have to pay. There is a free one, but I forgot the name. Search on www.treonauts.com for the free one.
    If you want to use Yahoo IM, check this Yahoo client http://www.burmeisterbrown.com/
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    Verichat does Yahoo, AIM, MSN and IRC. It also has bots for quick info on movies, flights, directions and weather, etc... It costs $20/year.
    Check out Causerie as well www.mantragroup.com/causerie.htm
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    verichat is the best way to go...runs in background on CDMA as well.
    I'd recomend Causerie over verichat anyday. I'm not really sure why so many prefer verichat to be honest.
    Quote Originally Posted by khronos21
    I'd recomend Causerie over verichat anyday. I'm not really sure why so many prefer verichat to be honest.

Try Verichat and you'll find out yourself for sure. Better product, better customer service, more responsive company, more platforms, more innovation with every new release.... the list goes on.
    What I dont understand is why people need access to so many different IM systems. I guess if you have some "friends" in AOL and other "friends" in MSN and even more "friends" in Yahoo, it makes sense. I guess I am not that friendly. All my friends are in Yahoo. So, the Yahoo IM client works like a champ.

And, while on the subject, I also dont understand the IM concept on the Treo. I mean, it is a PHONE, so why not CALL someone if they are online on their Treo? I guess its the same concept as the PC, you want to send a quick message, not incurr phone charges, etc. It just seems odd. Again, maybe thats why I dont have that many friends...
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    Hey ZBoater, here is a perspective that I have about IM'ing on the 650. I have a " friend " who works in an office as a graphic designer. She is on her computer working, and at the same time she has an AOL IM window open. While it looks bad being on the phone talking away, it is very acceptable to carry on a conversation through IM on her computer. And, it is easier than if she were to receive text messages on her phone that she would have to physically check.......she doesn't own a Treo and you know how much of a chore it woud be to check the phone, and then reply through T9 number pad. This was just my thoughts and sorry if I deviated from the original post topic.
    i'm with u zboater, i don't need all those other im services, i wish AIM made a much better and stable release for the Treo 650 since all my friends are on AIM
  15.    #16  
    ya, i guess it just matters how you use your im. i am all for just calling people, but i use my treo and it's functions stickly for business use. I have my own company and it's great when my CSR needs to ask me a question and i am in a meeting or with clients. it's also great for me to get in touch with my sales staff!
    Quote Originally Posted by treo_fanatic
    Try Verichat and you'll find out yourself for sure. Better product, better customer service, more responsive company, more platforms, more innovation with every new release.... the list goes on.
    I tried Verichat back in November, and I was just not very impressed. I found that Causerie was able to do everything that Verichat could, but in a much cleaner and more intuitive way. If I remember correctly, I found Verichat's background services and interface disapointing. I only tried it very quicly though, and I could have been wrong, so I guess I might give it another try. As far as upgrades go though, I've had at least 2 since January, maybe it has even been 3, and each upgrade brings a new feature I like.

The one thing I wish Causerie could do is let me view away messages of others without having to IM them, but as far as I know there is no palm AIM client that does this.
    Quote Originally Posted by khronos21
    I tried Verichat back in November, and I was just not very impressed. I found that Causerie was able to do everything that Verichat could, but in a much cleaner and more intuitive way. If I remember correctly, I found Verichat's background services and interface disapointing. I only tried it very quicly though, and I could have been wrong, so I guess I might give it another try. As far as upgrades go though, I've had at least 2 since January, maybe it has even been 3, and each upgrade brings a new feature I like.

The one thing I wish Causerie could do is let me view away messages of others without having to IM them, but as far as I know there is no palm AIM client that does this.
    Try Verichat again, and try 2.5+ : many things have changed since 2.3.

For one thing you do not need to IM anyone and can see their custom status right there and then. Lots of other changes.
    If you are looking for MSN client that does not use any 3rd party server, try CCLite.

Find more at http://kalemsoft.com/cclite.html
    I just downloaded the yahoo IM client and I really think its great, simple, clean, and uploading pics is a breeze. Just give it a try for the heck of it. I tried verichat and I did not like the way messages came in with alot of header info and what not. Plus Messenger is free, and most of the time free is always worth a try.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast