1.    #1  
    Please keep in mind that I'm new and not very technical. If anyone would be willing to advise me on a step by step basis to remove programs (such as versamail) from ROM, it would be greatly appreciated. It is my impression that shadowmite.com is where I need to go, but I am reluctant to try this on my own, because I don't want to screw everything up. Thanks.
    If you're so reluctant, why not just download a ROM w/o versamail? What else are you wanting to yank??
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  3.    #3  
    Basic stuff I don't need. i.e. quick tour, calendar and contacts(using agendus), downloads, messaging, tasks, welcome, versamail.
    Some of those things are integral to the Treo and may break stuff if removed. Just download one of the ready-made minimal ROMs from www.shadowmite.com.

5.    #5  
    If I am understanding you correctly; I need to choose one of the 5 0r 6 custom ROMs that are listed on the shadowmite website and follow the instructions listed. Also, if the box is checked, does that mean you will be keeping it? I am confused.
    This might sound a little rude, but it is in no means intended that way. Flashing your rom is a serious modification! I suggest you spend some quality time with your treo as it is, untill you get a better technical feel for things.
    Here is a Link to what can be deleted.

Should you be bold though, and puke your Treo, don't come here asking to fix it. Do these at your own risk.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  8.    #8  
    I think you are right!
    At the risk of being rude, I'd suggest if you can't figure this stuff out by reading what's already on the Shadowmite site, that you can't handle updating the ROM yourself either, let alone making your own custom ROM.
    case closed