Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I bought a Vaja T66 case and like it very much. Unlike my prior pouch case, I could talk on the phone using my bluetooth without taking the phone off my hip. The case is not too big and is made of high quality materials and workmanship. I believe that the case is actually worth the rather high cost of aquisition.

Unfortunately, having the case only a couple of weeks, I went to Chicago. It was raining, and I took a taxi to my hotel. When I got in my room, I found that my phone was not on my hip. The "ultra clip" was still on my belt. I tried dialing my phone thinking it was still in the taxi but no answer after many tries. I then retraced my steps and found my phone! It was in the road and had been run over. It looked something like this:

http://www.pbase.com/luvwine/image/41799317

The Vaja case actually survived pretty well tho it was stretched somewhat and no longer holds the phone as securely. Also, the back of hte case is skuffed as follows:

[http://www.pbase.com/luvwine/image/41799318

The battery is no good too:

http://www.pbase.com/luvwine/image/41799319

I checked out the case and clip and found that the problem was with the clip in that the phone would come loose if in a horizontal position--even without pushing down the release button. The phone is in a horizontal position for me when I am seated and I believe that when I got out of the taxi, the pressure from my thigh against the phone dislodged it. I bought a spare clip and checked it out and the second clip does not release when in this position even with moderate pressure--unlike the one I was using. Thus, I am quite certain that the first clip was defective.

I emailed Vaja and told them about it. I did not ask for anything in particular although I did tell them it was frustrating to be without a phone while out of town and that I had to pay for a new phone ($50 with insurance, fortunately thru sprint). They immediately offered to replace the case in whatever color I wanted and to send a new clip. I thought that was rather generous of them as the case is $130.00. They suggested I contact the manufacturer of the clip www.theclip.com.

I called them up and was told by the fellow answering the phone that there was nothing they could do. I was a little surprised and asked who else I could speak with. He told me the owner of the company. I spoke with him today. He basically said that despite being made in China, his clips were the best in the world and said that it was a freak occurrence and that I was like the second person ever to complain. Vaja told me that they had known of other occasions when the clip had failed so I rather doubted the word of the owner of the clip. He said he would send me a new clip (or even several) but would not send me a penny toward my deductible for the phone and implied that it was my fault and that I should have tested the clip to be sure it was working properly.

All in all, I feel that Vaja has demonstrated outstinding customer service and that the clip manufacturer has not--despite his product clearly being the culprit, in my opinion.

The moral of the story: don't assume any product from theclip.com will work properly and be sure to test it if you obtain a product from them.

Best,

Luvwine
    You know.. I was just noticing yesterday that my phone was no longer staying in the clip.

So I tested both of my clips after reading your email. In both clips the phone will slide in the horizontal position without pressing the button.

I may call Vaja about this.
    the only ultra clip i had was for the M3 (T616/T610) and i remember it being able to do that. But i stop wearing it on my belt, i kept on getting gutted in the tummy
    I have to say.. those pics really hurt..
    After reading your post, I have some remorse ordering with the clip. I'll see when it gets here. I should be getting mine (finally!) very soon.
    hofo, when's yours arriving? I ordered on 28th Feb, but I live on the other side of the world.
    I've noticed this too on my Vaja Classic T600 case. You would think by now Vaja would use the new nubs found on the newer non Vaja cases...you know, the nubs that when you spin the case, you hear the <<click click>> of the case being rotated. Hope that make sense.

###
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie319
    I have to say.. those pics really hurt..
    After reading your post, I have some remorse ordering with the clip. I'll see when it gets here. I should be getting mine (finally!) very soon.
    hofo, when's yours arriving? I ordered on 28th Feb, but I live on the other side of the world.
    I have the T65 with the clip. The clip is very solid, one of the best constructed I have seen. But, like anything, the part that keeps the phone in place may wear out with time. Just be aware of that possibility and order a replacement clip, when needed.

I am very comfortable in trusting the clip.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
  7.    #7  
    Yes, I will monitor it, but I had mine for less than two weeks. That seems unreasonable to me. I really don't think it functioned properly from the moment I got it, but I did not really know how it was supposed to work......until too late.

Best,

Luvwine
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    I emailed Vaja and was told to contact the Ultraclip manufacturer (www.theclip.com). I emailed them. They are supposed to be sending me two new clips. Not sure if they will be any better or not.

The person I emailed, said that the metal nub on the back of the Vaja case seems to wear out the clip mechanism.
    Quote Originally Posted by mogulman
    I emailed Vaja and was told to contact the Ultraclip manufacturer (www.theclip.com). I emailed them. They are supposed to be sending me two new clips. Not sure if they will be any better or not.

The person I emailed, said that the metal nub on the back of the Vaja case seems to wear out the clip mechanism.
    That nubs not metal. Just shiny coated plastic. Admittedly high quality plastic, but plastic nonetheless.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    That nubs not metal. Just shiny coated plastic. Admittedly high quality plastic, but plastic nonetheless.
    I stand corrected. Upon further inspection of my case, I believe it is metal. Sorry.
    It'll be fun.
    I believe sena uses the same clip manufacturer
    I've got a question with regard to the Vaja clip case. Does it swivel freely in 360 degrees? Or does it click every 45 degrees into place?
  14.    #15  
    Quantum man: It swivels freely the full 360. I would like it better (and the defect of which I complained would be less serious) if you could set it at a particular angle and have it hold there. I have a cheap pouch case that I bought off ebay for $20 or so that clicks into place and stays there. I like that feature of the cheap case better, but the pro's of the Vaja case are considerable: better workmanship, materials, look/feel, function of being able to speak on phone when still in the case make it, to me, the best case out there. Unfortuately, the clip is not up to the level of the case--at least in terms of reliability. The clip actually is a very good design when it works, it just seems to be prone to failure and/or the manufacture is inconsistent. What annoyed me about the clip is that the manufacturer tried to blame me for their manufacturing defect and denied ever hearing of more than one other clip failing. At least they seem willing to replace them if asked. I like the case enough to try it again (when I get the new one) but will keep a sharp eye on the clip and will replace it at the first sign it is not functioning properly.

Best,

-Luvwine
    Yikes, a treo horror story. I'm glad i ordered a case with a permanent belt loop. I've never trusted those little plastic clips. Especially when you have a 400 dollar phone attached to it.
    Thanks for the post Livwine. I'm getting my 650 in 2 days, can't wait! , and it's coming with a generic case, and I have an iPod slip case from way back also. But since researching all there is to know about the Treo, I came across the Vaja cases and see their quality and beauty. I wear phones on my belt via clip, and if I'm walking and someone calls, I would use a BT headset to talk with my 650. But I wouldn't really like it if the case with clip really hangs far out there. The iPod slip case fits REALLY nice and close to my body which is great. So how is the feel of the case when on your belt?
    1. This case is the best. I own it and love it! BUT, it should be worn on the front of the body, above the left or right hip. If your body type permits it (mine doesn't).
    2. If you can't wear it on your front, then remember that if you wear it ANYWHERE that will touch against a car seat when you're sitting down. Go to Radioshack. We sell a very small plastic (black) mount that sticks to your dash or somewhere else in your car. It allows you to slide your case into it and it holds the phone. Very handy, and it gets you into the habit of taking your case OFF when you get in the car, which would have saved Luvwin.
    It'll be fun.
    I just received my T66. FINALLY... and I'm glad to report that the clip seems very sturdy. Looking at the mechanism, it seems unlikely to malfunction. I tried lifting my thighs to push it out even when its unlocked and seems difficult to push out.
    I will keep in mind what happened to some of you and I'll check the clip regularly.
  19.    #20  
    Quantum,

THe feel of the case when on your hip is pretty good. I would like it even better if it rotated to a given position and held so that when you sit down, the phone will rotate on the clip from a vertical to a horizontal position (or at least did for me). There is, then, a slight but noticeable contact between your body and the phone when you sit which is not the case with clips or holsters that hold in the horizontal position. I don't find that to be a drawback, but ymmv. Also, the case fits close enough to the body for me. Because there is a ratchet and that attaches to a clip, it is not as flush to the body as some cases where the clip is an integral part of the case, but the profile seems to me to be perfectly acceptable. Hope this helps.

Best,

-Luvwine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast