Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Can anyone please comment on your experience with the possible solutions for wireless email and calendar to connect with Lotus Domino/Notes?

I have experience with Sprint Business Connect and Intellisync. They both have their flaws. Looking for advice from anyone who's used Visto or other solutions.

Your help is appreciated.
    I'm participating on a pilot using Software called:

Onebridge
    Mail Plus

both provided by "Extended Systems."

Onebridge handles the pushing on the treo (using a 600, not 650) and Mailplus reads the mail.

The wireless calendar sync works great, but the wireless email push doesn't work. I have to manually synch the client to get my new emails. Very weird.

We are using Notes 5.0. I have a Treo 600 on Tmobile service.
    I have read I think all the threads with the slightest mention of email from behind the firewall. Does anyone have a good solution for getting Notes wirelessly from behind a firewall (no open port and no IT support) We looked at Mnotes and it needs to have an open port to do the wireless part. I was on a Biz Connect enterprise trial until the company decided to go Blackberry and pulled the plug. I havent tried the local edition of BCS but assume it also requires an outside port through the firewall. Anyone know more about BCS personal or other solutions

Thanks
    What I have been using is xpress mail. I got this from cingular. It is an awesome utility for lotus note. I sometime get my mail before it shows up in my inbox on my computer.

The way this work is that you have to install it on your system that has lotus note. It will have to be running in order for you to get your email. That right there is the drawback. If your system is down, then there is not email. While it is running, any email that comes in, will get push to your phone. I think you have to have a data plan for this. I get email and calender. I am very please with this.
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    In order to push email to your phone, you need two things - server side software on your Notes server and client side software on your Treo. Good Technology and mNotes are two of the more prominent providers. Most Notes IT shops (like mine) refuse to install server software for cost and security concerns.

I am using Xpress mail also. It has proven to be very reliable. Xpress mail is the same as Business Connection from Sprint. Seven provides the software for both Sprint and Cingular. You download the Seven software from your provider. Install it on a computer that you can leave running all of the time (that you want to receive email). Log on to you Notes email as always and leave the computer running.

I have been using this for about three weeks now with great results. I travel to Mexico for business mostly. My email has arrived very quickly in Mexico City, Monterrey and Cuernavaca. It is very liberating to be able to send and receive email at all times, not having to wait for a hotspot or wired hookup some where.

If you work mainly in the US, Sprint is the way to go. The cost of an unlimited data plan is $15 or $20 per month. But Sprint is CDMA based. So if you travel outside of the US (depending on where you go), it becomes very iffy about network coverage. Cingular is GSM based so it is a much better choice for foreign travel. But Cingular's unlimited plan that support Xpress mail is $40 per month. They have another unlimited plan that is $25/month, but it does not support Xpress mail.

Good luck...
    I understand that you leave the computer running and the client on it but does it matter if that computer is behind the firewall also? I could easily install the client on a pc here and keep it running with notes up but it will be behind a firewall. Anythoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by DHart
    In order to push email to your phone, you need two things - server side software on your Notes server and client side software on your Treo. Good Technology and mNotes are two of the more prominent providers. Most Notes IT shops (like mine) refuse to install server software for cost and security concerns.

I am using Xpress mail also. It has proven to be very reliable. Xpress mail is the same as Business Connection from Sprint. Seven provides the software for both Sprint and Cingular. You download the Seven software from your provider. Install it on a computer that you can leave running all of the time (that you want to receive email). Log on to you Notes email as always and leave the computer running.
    I have no first-hand experience with mNotes, but reading the product description and installation guide on their site, suggests that it can be installed either on the server, a la BES, or on the desktop a la ExpressMail or Business Connection.

It appears that their licencing model is such that the cost per seat is the same regardless of the method used, or the platform it's used on. Very nice. Might have to get a trial version for our office - it's good to be the IT guy.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    I use my treo w/ Lotus Notes every day. Lotus Notes is simply a bloated IMAP server w/ LDAP address book, like most other enterprise email servers.

If you dont need IM, you dont need special apps only versamail or any other IMAP palmos client. VersaMail will check your email regularly. Simply set the SMTP server to the phones SMTP (att in my case), or work smtp or s/smtp.

The IM (SameTime connect) is jabber compatible, and also Lotus offers a palm client for full lotus. Many have valid jabber and sametime clients.

If i need anything special, I just VNC to my work computer, and email the file or database to myself
    But IIRC, the original problem was that his Notes servers are not publicly accessible via any protocol, meaning the individual is left with no option but to use some form of desktop-based product to push his mail out through the firewall.

I wasn't aware that mNotes needs a port opened, but that does make sense now I think about it. Still might have to give it a trial though; it's good to be the firewall admin too.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    I use the personal edition of BC from sprint; email gets to me in under 60 seconds. I run a second desktop and leave it up and connected all time.

As far as I know, no port had to be opened up except the ssl port (I think 27). This was already open on our firewall, as I would assume it is on most. Our only problem was that sprint did not send the 'hello' command to begin the ssl transmission. This prevented the firewall (Raptor) from allowing BCPE to get through. To correct this issue, we had to tell our firewall that the 'hello' was not necessary to begin a ssl transmission (Symantec helped with this).

Although it is the same technology as Cingular, we did not have this problem with Xpress Mail.
    Very weird -
    So i got biz connection working, but with a major problem. My company is blackberry-only and i'm trying to get access on my 650.

We upgraded from Lotus notes R5 to R6 on Feb 24, 2005. When I tried my first sync using biz con on my treo, it pulled in the most recent 25 emails from 2/24/05 and before. Basically it seems to be looking at the old server. Now we're on new servers with R6, but how do i tell Biz con to look to the proper one?

I really don't want to get my IT guys involved.

thanks.
  12. JJL
    Quote Originally Posted by petesamprs
    Very weird -
    So i got biz connection working, but with a major problem. My company is blackberry-only and i'm trying to get access on my 650.

We upgraded from Lotus notes R5 to R6 on Feb 24, 2005. When I tried my first sync using biz con on my treo, it pulled in the most recent 25 emails from 2/24/05 and before. Basically it seems to be looking at the old server. Now we're on new servers with R6, but how do i tell Biz con to look to the proper one?

I really don't want to get my IT guys involved.

thanks.
    This is a BizCon (SEVEN) issue, not Notes. I have the same problem using SEVEN and Notes 6.5.3. I don't know what causes it, but at least once a day, SEVEN will push the earliest e-mails from my Notes inbox to my Treo. A few hours later, it pushes the 25 most recent ones. I am working with SEVEN to figure this out. Calendar is always on the correct date. I'll let you know what they tell me.
    I too recently upgraded from 5 to 6.5.3 and have had no problems. I did not have bcpe installed prior to that though. I would recomend uninstalling and reinstalling bcpe on the pc and treo now that 6.5.3 is up and running. I have had 0 issues with bcpe under this settup for going on 4 months now.
    btw do any of you with the 6.5.3 upgrade work for a certain document management company headquatered in Atlanta GA?
    Thanks for the feedback. So should I contact sprint or SEVEN customer service in order to figure out the problem here. I'm sure my IT guys could fix it, but if they were willing to, our firm would have Goodlink and I wouldn't have this problem in the first place.

We have Lotus 6.5.1 and i work for a large investment bank in NY.

EDIT: I did the Bizcon install today for the first time and the Lotus upgrade was on 2/24/05.
    Sounds like Bizconn may be picking up the wrong server name from one of the notes files i Do you know whether the upgrade on the Notes side changed the "LOCATION" value of server? I'll have to see if some of my Notes friends have an answer. Also posting your slingshot.cf7 file (minus any personal stuff) might help. Alternatively you could send it to me via PM and I have some contacts in low places that work on this stuff that may be able to help.

Thanks for the feedback. So should I contact sprint or SEVEN customer service in order to figure out the problem here. I'm sure my IT guys could fix it, but if they were willing to, our firm would have Goodlink and I wouldn't have this problem in the first place.

EDIT: I did the Bizcon install today for the first time and the Lotus upgrade was on 2/24/05.

Believe me, I wish we could help, but support for Notes with GoodLink is a ways off.
    The notes server did change when we upgraded, but if i look at the "SevenValidate.log" file, it clearly shows Bizcon accessing the old one:

Here's what the logfile says (replaced name with John Smith and company info with XYZ):

4\21\2005 14:01
    Checking for international Domino 4.6 installation.
    Checking for international Domino 5.0 installation.
    Testing password as LMBCS.
    Initializing the Notes library with C:\validate_2705.ini
    The ini file exists.
    Opening the mailfile: CN=sdbo5717/OU=NewYork/OU=XYZ/O=XYZCo!!mail2\JSMITH.NSF as: CN=John Smith/OU=NewYork/OU=DBNA/O=XYZCo
    Password validated.

My current Lotus server (which I can see when I open Lotus on my desktop) is MSGM2004/srv/XYZcom

How do i check whether the "location" value of the server changed? Where does bizcon get its information about what server to access the emails from? I find it hard to believe that bizcon can't see the server that my desktop sees for my email.
    Check your notes.ini file for any mention of the old server, and adjust to point to the new. Do likewise with any .ini file that Bizcon may have created.
  19. crp
    Good thread here....

I have a related question: We use R5 Domino/Notes and those of us that work remotely have Blackberries. I've successfully used BC Personal before and had mNotes working as well.

The problem is a hard-coded VPN timeout: 14 hours. This lies somewhere in the Cisco VPN 4.0.3 running on the laptop. So no matter what desktop redirector I use, it's only good for basically 1 working day. After that, I've lost the web connection to the laptop.

Coming at the problem from a different angle, I've installed the Mobius IPSEC VPN client on my 650, but can't figure out the IP address of the IMAP server I have.

Basically, I've been stumped either trying to connect via desktop redirector or VPN client on the 650. If anyone can offer insights into a hack of the Cisco client to disable the timeout setting OR can help me figure out the ip address of the Domino IMAP server, I'd be eternally grateful (well, maybe not eternally, but definitely a very long time).

TIA,
    crp
    Sprint Treo 755p, 650. Before that: Treo 600, 300, Pilot & Palm Pilot.
    Quote Originally Posted by crp
    Basically, I've been stumped either trying to connect via desktop redirector or VPN client on the 650. If anyone can offer insights into a hack of the Cisco client to disable the timeout setting OR can help me figure out the ip address of the Domino IMAP server, I'd be eternally grateful (well, maybe not eternally, but definitely a very long time).
    If your Notes admins won't give you the IMAP server information, you should be able to determine it yourself: Open your Domain Address Book on your home server, and look at the Server document for each server. On the Ports/Notes Network Ports tab, you'll find the IP address, and on the Ports/Internet Ports/Mail tab, you will see whether it has IMAP and/or POP3 enabled.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast